If you want to argue that people havea 'right' to breath clean air, then most have waived that 'right' by virtue of living in an industrialised environment. There are all kinds of pollutants in the air we breathe. If you live in a city then you already breathe a lot of toxic particulants.
Everyone just lives with that without so much as a raised eyebrow for the most part.
[
link]
I agree with the smoking ban as is almost, the only change I'd like to see is for some social areas, pubs, clubs, bars to be able to apply for a "smoking licence" which would exempt them from the ban. I'd only ever want to see a small fraction of these places allowed to get such a licence, appropriate to the % of people that smoke. Smoking in public buildings, most workplaces, not good and should stay banned imo. I do not think that smoking should be outlawed in outdoor public space at all.
Penalise people harshly for dropping litter (cigarette ends). Penalise people for antisocial behaviour if they intentionally bother other non-smokers. Fine with that.
If there is good evidence that shows that non-smokers are at significantly higher risk of lung cancer/other smoking related illness because of SHS then show me some evidence and I might reconsider this.
Any civilised society ought to allow any adult to do anything they dam well want to, provided they don't harm another person while doing so, or if they do that person should be a consenting party. Part of that ought to mean that there should be places where like minded individuals can go to to socialise and enjoy whichever particular activity that is.
Tobacco, alcohol, drugs, porn, prostition, everything.