• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Smoking should be banned universally

What I'm wondering is this: are the people who are anti-smoking the same people who are anti-pot?

I only ask because for me it seems if one is trying to ban smoking, that's not a ban on the drug, but a ban on how it's administered.

...sorry, I don't know if it's relavent, nor if there are any real facts in the connection. Just wondering out loud....err..on the keyboard. :)
 
What I'm wondering is this: are the people who are anti-smoking the same people who are anti-pot?

Seems like the exact opposite, it's the anti-pot righties that seem to get hot and bothered about their right to smoke cigarettes.
 
Seems like the exact opposite, it's the anti-pot righties that seem to get hot and bothered about their right to smoke cigarettes.

That's what I'm noticing. However, until I get some facts, (and I am searching) I am leaning on thinking that this is just confirmation bias on my part.

Just doesn't make sense to me to be a) anti-pot and pro smoking and b) anti-smoking and pro pot.
 
What I'm wondering is this: are the people who are anti-smoking the same people who are anti-pot?


Seems like the exact opposite, it's the anti-cigarette lefties that seem to get hot and bothered about their right to smoke pot.
 
Seems like the exact opposite, it's the anti-cigarette lefties that seem to get hot and bothered about their right to smoke pot.

quixotecoyote said:
Seems like the exact opposite, it's the anti-pot righties that seem to get hot and bothered about their right to smoke cigarettes.

See, I'm getting the impression that both are true. Maybe an unscientific poll is in order?

Still, I can't see being against one and for the other. Just makes no sense to me.
 
For a second I thought there was a really weird forum bug happening. :D

eta: I'm for cigs and pot being legal, and not taxed to the point of hurting the household budget of a cig addict. I don't think you should smoke either where you are making other people smell your smoke, although I'm ambivalent about the legal remedies.
 
Last edited:
What I'm wondering is this: are the people who are anti-smoking the same people who are anti-pot?

I only ask because for me it seems if one is trying to ban smoking, that's not a ban on the drug, but a ban on how it's administered.

...sorry, I don't know if it's relavent, nor if there are any real facts in the connection. Just wondering out loud....err..on the keyboard. :)
One of the absurdities of the new smoking ban in public places in Europe is that it is now illegal to add tobacco to your joint if you are rolling one for smoking whilst sitting in a coffee shop (cannabis cafe) in the Netherlands. You can smoke neat joints in the coffee shop (I'd like to see the politicians who back this law try that with Dutch weed and stay in their chairs! :eye-poppi) but woe betide anyone who adds the dried leaves of Nicotiana tabacum. :jaw-dropp
 
One of the absurdities of the new smoking ban in public places in Europe is that it is now illegal to add tobacco to your joint if you are rolling one for smoking whilst sitting in a coffee shop (cannabis cafe) in the Netherlands. You can smoke neat joints in the coffee shop (I'd like to see the politicians who back this law try that with Dutch weed and stay in their chairs! :eye-poppi) but woe betide anyone who adds the dried leaves of Nicotiana tabacum. :jaw-dropp

:jaw:

These bans are just getting more stupid, useless and convoluted.

....not to mention hypocritical...
 
IF ''THEY'' MAKE SMOKING ILLEGAL

it has BIG costs to society
new crime class to supply smokers is created
loss of tax moneys
cost of enforcement, jails , trials , rehab ect
and lots of unpredictable BS
like minors as sellers/runners = more dropouts
like more unemployed if ''drug tested" for nic

we need simple clear laws that respect individual's rights
not trying to fix everything by making new laws

second hand smoke is 99% woo
 
Well indeed. Because history demonstrates that prohibition is just so successful. I can't see how anyone would be against it. :rolleyes:

For the record, the National Health and Lifestyle Survey (SLÁN 2007) for Ireland shows an increase in smoking rates of 2% before and after the introduction of the smoking ban in 2004:

http://intranet.rcsi.ie/slan06/SLAN_2007_Smoking_Report.pdf

Overall, rates of smoking decreased from 33% in 1998 to 27% in 2002, with similar rates of reduction for men and women, across all ages and all social class groups. There was no significant change in smoking rates between 2002 (27%) and 2007 (29%).

So much for improving the health of the nation through turning smokers in social lepers...

I believe there's been rise in smoking rates in Italy since the ban, but I haven't yet used my google-fu to find data to back this up.
 
Last edited:
Seems like the exact opposite, it's the anti-cigarette lefties that seem to get hot and bothered about their right to smoke pot.

Most of the pot smokers I know also smoke cigarettes. While some don't, I can't think of any who object to other people doing it.
 
Most of the pot smokers I know also smoke cigarettes. While some don't, I can't think of any who object to other people doing it.

Well it takes all kinds. Myself, I'm fine with legalizing weed and I'm also okay with smoke free public buildings and work places. I just want to be able to smoke in bars. Why can't there be smoking and non-smoking bars, I wonder. It's not right.
 
Well it takes all kinds. Myself, I'm fine with legalizing weed and I'm also okay with smoke free public buildings and work places. I just want to be able to smoke in bars. Why can't there be smoking and non-smoking bars, I wonder. It's not right.
Because the moralists consider it their right to tell you what you can do with your body. How dare you have fun! Fifty lashes for you!* :mad:

*and don't you even think about enjoying that, either!
 
Because the moralists consider it their right to tell you what you can do with your body. How dare you have fun! Fifty lashes for you!* :mad:

*and don't you even think about enjoying that, either!

Not only that but don't you know ITS BAAAD FOR YOU AND YOU COULD DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE AND YOU ARE KILLLING EVERYONE ELSE YOU COME IN CONTACT WITH!!!! ZOMG! THE BANNING IS TO SAVE YOUR LIFE!! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!!!I DON'T SMOKE AND I'M SAVING YOUR LIFE SO NOW I'M BETTER THAN YOU

Okay, I'm mocking. But that's the feeling I get from a lot of these anti-smoking campaign commercials. It's so superior babysitter-ish.
 
One of the absurdities of the new smoking ban in public places in Europe is that it is now illegal to add tobacco to your joint if you are rolling one for smoking whilst sitting in a coffee shop (cannabis cafe) in the Netherlands. You can smoke neat joints in the coffee shop (I'd like to see the politicians who back this law try that with Dutch weed and stay in their chairs! :eye-poppi) but woe betide anyone who adds the dried leaves of Nicotiana tabacum. :jaw-dropp

They did that for about one day,and nobody could walk out of the coffee shops The put tobacco in the joints just as they always did. There were signs on the walls saying no tobacco,but they vanished very quickly.The police have better things to do.
 
Last edited:
Because the moralists consider it their right to tell you what you can do with your body. How dare you have fun! Fifty lashes for you!* :mad:

*and don't you even think about enjoying that, either!

These moralists and health freaks are going to look pretty silly when the doctor who signs their death certificate has to leave the 'cause of death' bit blank.
 
They did that for about one day,and nobody could walk out of the coffee shops The put tobacco in the joints just as they always did. There were signs on the walls saying no tobacco,but they vanished very quickly.The police have better things to do.
Thanks for that, daftydd. Nice to know the pragmatic Dutch didn't let such a foolish law win the day. :)
 
Well it takes all kinds. Myself, I'm fine with legalizing weed and I'm also okay with smoke free public buildings and work places. I just want to be able to smoke in bars. Why can't there be smoking and non-smoking bars, I wonder. It's not right.

I haven't smoked in years, gave it up, but when I did nothing went better together than cigarettes and beer.

Yeah, you should be able to smoke in bars.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom