I hate water.
This video is simply extraordinary, and is far more terrifying than the 'highwave' tsunami that you see in films like Deep Impact and Armageddon. When I first saw what a real tsunami looked like I was surprised that it didn't come in the form of the 'high wave' but was blown away by its sheer speed and consumption of all around it.
It was apparently recorded as 13 metres.
Yea, I've seen most of these. I've got earth observatory's picture of the day in my speed dial and am checking it almost daily.Have you seen the NASA satellite images, before and after? Here's Rikuzentakata, and I think there may be more, linked.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=49684
Rolfe.
If translation tools got the title of the 2nd video right - Oirase Town, this is the best I can do.CompusMentus said:More gut-wrenching video HERE.
But that would presumably be higher than any of the buildings we see. It isn't.
Easy: The reference height for the wave, and your reference height for the buildings are not the same.
What if the buildings were at 10m elevation?I'm looking at the number of floors in the buildings. A 13 meter wave would be over or at the roof of a 2-story building?
"Horizon Special" programme on UK BBC2 tonight about the Japanese earthquak.e HERE (BBC iPlayer)
Some speculation that the event may be a trigger for a large earthquake nearer Tokyo but conversely the gloomy conclusion seemed to be that the prediction of earthquakes is just about impossible and the way forward is preparedness.
A physicist (Prof. Jim AL-Khalili) downplayed the seriousness (of the consequences) of the nuclear plant damage ("it isn't a Chernobyl") but also stated it was of major public concern and that he was worried about higher levels of radioactive substances in the water system thereabouts.
Interesting and informative.
I've now seen dozens and dozens of these videos including ones that show the tsunami waves approaching and reaching the shoreline and bay inlets. I've never seen a wave that looked like it was 13 meters high.
If translation tools got the title of the 2nd video right - Oirase Town, this is the best I can do.
40°36'25.72"N 141°27'36.66"E
On one particular video (of the Japanese Coastguard ship as it heads into the tsunami in the open sea) I've read that one of the observers on the ship is reported as saying (variously) "it's ten metres! or "it's thirty three feet!". I don't speak Japanese so can't confirm. I also read that this video was shot a few miles off the coast. Tsunami are reputed to gain height as they approach the shoreline so I guess that 13 metres is quite possible.
Compus