katy_did
Master Poster
- Joined
- Feb 4, 2010
- Messages
- 2,219
I agree with your assertion that the internet has shaken the profession of journalism to its core.
I disagree with your assertion that amateurs are preferable to professionals.
Anyone searching for objective, fact-based news and analysis in respect of this case is in for a crash course in what can happen when people purporting to be journalists are not duty bound to a professional code of ethics.
Last year I went to a talk given by Tina Brown, editor of the Daily Beast. She`s obviously quite proud of the reporting done on the Kercher case, as on one of the slides shown on the screen in the background was one of Nadeau's articles accompanied by a picture of Amanda Knox. One of the audience members asked her whether she was concerned about the impact sites like the Daily Beast are having on the traditional, objective, fact-based model of journalism. She said she didn't understand the question.
There is very little objective, fact-based reporting on this case, and what little there is certainly doesn't come from writers like Nadeau, 'professional' or not. I think you underestimate the extent to which much professional journalism now has gossip and sensationalism as its focus, not fact and objectivity. And that's nowhere more true than in a case like this.
As for blogging, there is a huge amount of information about what actually went on during the trial on Frank Sfarzo's site, perhaps more than there is anywhere else on the net. He had a full, detailed summary of the Massei report 24 hours after its release, while everyone else was relying on the same select quotes. I think you're unwise to dismiss him just because he's not a 'professional' (and to be over-reliant on others just because they are).