Within 15 minutes of the magnitude-9.0 earthquake, the Edward Aquifer Authority's J-17 monitoring well in Bexar County started to vibrate, with the water level fluctuating about a foot.
"It moved up and down for almost two hours," said Roland Ruiz, a spokesman for the water authority. "We thought it was certainly interesting that a quake that far away would register in the aquifer."
The problem with Rikuzentakata seems to be topographical. The bay is shaped like a funnel so that the force of the tsunami was concentrated on the town itself, reaching 15 meters (50 feet) in height.
I suspect that >99% of those still missing are dead too (although perhaps there may be some overlap if all bodies have not been identified).
Dead and missing up to 21,911.
The Herald said:Coastal Rikuzentakata was a town of 23,000, mostly elderly, people. About 740 were killed and more than 1,700 remain missing.
ETA: Does anyone know which town is shown in this one? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12786619
Rolfe.
I do wonder how good the reporting method is. Friends and families reporting people missing is fine in many disasters but when entire villages disappear there is a good chance that many don't have friends and family left ot report them missing.I really can't make out whether the real death toll is indeed "only" going to come out around 15,000, or whether the sheer scale of the catastrophe means the half has not yet been told us.
Rolfe.
The "Miyako" clip from the BBC is actually from Kamaishi (39°16'31.87"N 141°53'19.34"E), some 40km to the south of Miyako.Ah, I thought it was, but the video linked from the Miyako wiki page is a different one, taken from a different vantage point. Thanks for that.
ETA: I can't pinpoint the position of that other video, seen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12769741 Anyone else care to have a go?
Rolfe.
Yes it's interesting how the whole planet reacts, twelve minutes from Sendai to Dublin.Interesting article on how the Earth rings like a bell
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/21/2939174/japan-quake-set-texas-aquifer.html
According to a report I heard on the news, Dallas actually moved up and down 1cm when the shock wave got this far...
[/color][/left]
The "Miyako" clip from the BBC is actually from Kamaishi (39°16'31.87"N 141°53'19.34"E), some 40km to the south of Miyako.
Here's a different angle.
...And that was the place with the super-duper sea walls that were supposed to hold back anything the sea could throw at them, and yet they gave...
I haven't seen all of the videos. Did some of the sea wall actually collapse or wash away? Or were they simply overtopped?