Trent Wray
Unregistered
- Joined
- Jan 25, 2010
- Messages
- 4,487
Bingo!
Let's see if Randman can get it.
However I've agreed with that summary (the understood one) this whole time lol ....
Bingo!
Let's see if Randman can get it.
Again ... we do not communicate well apparently. When I am talking about myself (even using the word "I") or "generic others" (and use the word "others") ... you think I'm talking about you specifically. If I was talking about you specifically I would most likely say "you" and clarify it.
Enough said. Then we both ultimately agree on this ..... dare I say it? .... so long as you don't claim a subjective argument is direct evidence. Would you (I'm directly asking you specifically) claim this?![]()
Flatulence is a major design fault,if there was a designer.
Out of all conceivable universes we might find ourselves in, one in which we can arise naturally least requires a God as an explanation for our existence.
It strikes me that a 'fine-tuner' God strongly implies a lack of omnipotence.
It doesn't make sense if the designer has no limit in creativity or resources and can make things so with a thought and no effort. So intelligent design also winds up being an argument against an omnipotent God.
I think the best, most succinct comment here was by the poster that stated "perfection" and "imperfection" are subjective judgements. That's where the logic is saying there is no God of the Bible or Designer because the world is imperfect breaks down.
Any argument against ID/god will fail if we presuppose that we can understand the workings or intentions of an omniscient mind.
For example, a strong rebuttal:
If ID/god created a billion worlds, all very different from each other, this would certainly imply omnipotence and omnimagination. It makes perfect sense that we would see our world as running on natural processes, such as evolution, if ours is the world ID/god created to implement his theory of evolution.
A comment on Intelligent Design:
When theology is mixed with science the result is not science.
None of this addresses the points I made.
Yes he can. And if he chose to do so in the way that ends up with the world in which we find ourselves, then the best you can say about him is that he's lazy and suffers from a lack of imagination.
How do you know there aren't mammal-like animals somewhere in the universe that has a mouth inside of it's stomach?
There it is again: imaginary and unevidenced creatures are brought up to counter actual arguments. Nihilianth, how do you know God isn't actually a mammal with a mouth in its stomach?
Uh, yes it does.
Especially in light of how much in "awe" you are of the universe. (Don't say you are not. Even the greatest minds are in awe of the universe.)
No, it really doesn't.
I wouldn't dream of denying it. Why do you suppose I would?
Any argument against ID/god will fail if we presuppose that we can understand the workings or intentions of an omniscient mind.
That's exactly the problem
Any argument for or against a god fails because you can't presuppose anything about that god. That makes any argument related to a god entirely pointless.
@ both: Yes and no.Any argument against ID/god will fail if we presuppose that we can understand the workings or intentions of an omniscient mind.
That's exactly the problem
Any argument for or against a god fails because you can't presuppose anything about that god. That makes any argument related to a god entirely pointless.
I tried to fix that for youSo, does this mean thisthreadpart of the forum is dead then?
If this "God of the Bible" was able to demonstrate to me such powers as creating a global cataclysms, stopping the sun in the sky, resurrecting dead people and reading my mind, I think* that I would get the point ('do as I say Or Else') and not be too worried about whether or not it was the "apex entity".If the God of the Bible, for example, appeared to all of us instantaneously ... and said, "all the stories are true, here are some miracles to prove it to you all finally .... you just needed to trust me, and that's that ... I am God, the only God, there are no others, I am your Lord," etc and so forth .... how could we know this for 100% certainty? How could we ever know, intellectually, that this being was an "apex entity" of which no other entity could claim "god"?

I'm not the one that imagined the creature! Someone else did! They made the claim that "God would have made a mammal with a mouth in it's stomach." Well, with trillions of stars in existence, how does he know there isn't one?
Pure speculation. Especially in light of how much in "awe" you are of the universe. (Don't say you are not. Even the greatest minds are in awe of the universe.)
And you also mentioned that if God exists, then there should be mammals walking around with mouths in their stomachs, as this was directed towards that one particular comment:
And by requiring the standard be omniscient knowledge from the opposition when they make claims based on there not being any evidence of something; you open yourself up to being held to the same standard.
It's a given that none of us are omniscient. I strongly doubt omniscience is even a coherent concept. If we're going to bring up lack of omniscience as a valid counter to claims, it's not an argument, it's an admission we've given up having a discussion based on what we do know and moved on to 'who would win in a fight, Superman or Thor?' land.
There's awe, and then there's awe. 'Isn't it awesome how intricate, amazing, and fascinating the universe is; and humbling to think that out of all the trillions of possible human beings, I get to exist to experience it?!' 'Well, that's because it was made by a perfect omnimax God who has infinite love for each and every one of us!' 'You don't say? Not to be ungrateful, but in that light, you'd think a being like that could have done a bit better, right? I mean my nephew has severe autism, my mother died young, and the Japanese have been getting crushed and drowned a lot lately. Before I knew about this perfect and loving creator, I thought those were the breaks, you can't expect the universe to run for our benefit, but now...'
It sounds like a little clarification is needed here. The stomach-mouthed mammals are just a specific example of the class 'life forms inexplicable in terms of natural processes' whose absence is consistent with all life being the result of natural processes, but which makes you wonder why people think a supernatural being who can do anything is invoked as necessary to explain life forms that fit their environments and lineages. A stomach-mouthed mammal on another planet where having a mouth in its stomach made sense in terms of its environment and lineage could conceivably exist, but in those circumstances it would no longer be a member of the class 'life forms inexplicable in terms of natural processes', and thus no longer a counter point to the observation that a supposedly omnipotent deity creates life forms in a fashion that suggests a limited budget and tight deadlines.