• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 8.8 quake in Sendai, Japan

Not here. Beaches, piers and harbors are closed, but the homes in the area are not being evacuated. Nor has the tsunami warning siren been sounded.

I'd like to personally urge anyone 'near' coastal or low lying areas to get to higher ground...

I don't need a personal report of water hitting your keyboard.
 
I'd like to personally urge anyone 'near' coastal or low lying areas to get to higher ground...
It looks like any tsunami wave has lost most of it's size and force.
Luckily so far, all the places reporting seeing effects are reporting only small and non destructive surges.
 
They are only expecting 3 foot waves here. The damage is going to be more for boats moored in the harbor as they get smashed against the docks. It would have a be a huge tsunami (along the lines of the Indonesian one) for me to even get my toes wet. Although I did discover I am at the ragged edge of the tsunami zone thanks to a flood control channel that runs along the southern edge of my housing tract.
 
Looking good here in Hawaii!

Hope you guys in California and Oregon do ok

Well California anyhow :)

I think Im gonna go to sleep

I think the coolest thing was the AWESOME lightshow of all the boats, big and small out way out in the water
 
Looking good here in Hawaii!

Hope you guys in California and Oregon do ok

Well California anyhow :)

I think Im gonna go to sleep

I think the coolest thing was the AWESOME lightshow of all the boats, big and small out way out in the water

You are going to sleep...?

I hope you are high and dry, be safe.
 
I hope everyone is Ok.

I have to say that watching footage of the Tsunami is really freaky. I had always pictured a Tsunami like this giant tall wave that crashes down in one fell swoop. The way it seems to creep through the land shoving everything into a huge muddy pile of debris is sickening. It almost seems survivable until you realize the weight of everything and how easily it is being moved forward.

I was amazed to find that a cubic meter of water weighs one metric ton (actually, by definition). You just normally don't think about water having that much power.
 
San Francisco is expecting a tsunami height of only 1 to 2 feet. Crescent City, CA may see 8 to 9 feet.
 
Okay, he's moved, then. His profile used to say "behind the docks in Tokyo" or something like that.

Behind the decks.

kitakaze said:
Location: Behind the decks in Tokyo, Japan/Victoria, Canada

He is a dance club disc jockey and musician... so "decks" are record players.

He has family roots in Tokyo and Victoria.
 
I hope everyone is Ok.

I have to say that watching footage of the Tsunami is really freaky. I had always pictured a Tsunami like this giant tall wave that crashes down in one fell swoop. The way it seems to creep through the land shoving everything into a huge muddy pile of debris is sickening. It almost seems survivable until you realize the weight of everything and how easily it is being moved forward.

One thing I had to be reminded of listening to the coverage - 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 tonne.

Think about how much high speed water there was on the move .... :eye-poppi

ETA: I see alfaniner just posted on the same thing! Great minds think alike and all that ;)
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom