• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 8.8 quake in Sendai, Japan

Where in Japan are you?

We felt it down here in Osaka which is about 600 to 700 kilometres away if not more. At first I thought it was just a local, minor tremor but then found out the truth from the meterological warnings that flashed up on the TV.

Glad to hear you're okay though.

I'm in Tokyo.

I hope the others are OK. There's another member of this forum in Japan, but my stupid brain isn't working and I can't remember his handle. I might be mistaken, but I think he's possibly in Northern Japan. :(
 
I think numbers confirmed dead is pretty meaningless right now, seeing the pictures. There must be hundreds of people involved in some pretty comprehensive destruction.

Tokyo seems relatively OK though - although the news is reporting some people trying to walk home.

Rolfe.
 
Am i missing something?

All this article stated was that the cooling system failed at a plant. Nothing about fires, or an emergency. Maybe i dont know much about Nuclear Reactor facilities, but to me that article doesnt imply emergency or show evidence for it. I could be mistaken.

Anyway, if anyone finds a legitimate source stating anything about a Nuclear Power plant "emergency" please post a link. Trying to find out if there is any truth to this rumor that is spreading around FAST.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110311/wl_asia_afp/japanquakenuclearfire

http://translate.google.nl/translat...ikel/224779-live-tsunami-in-grote-oceaan.html (at 11:03 hours)

The news on this isn't very clear and sure right now, but I heard on TV here that the fire wasn't too close to the actual reactor.

ETA: Link with video here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...e-breaks-out-at-nuclear-plant-in-Onagawa.html
ETA2: It's not a video of the nuclear power plant fire, but of an oil refinery. My bad.
 
Last edited:
I think numbers confirmed dead is pretty meaningless right now, seeing the pictures. There must be hundreds of people involved in some pretty comprehensive destruction.

Tokyo seems relatively OK though - although the news is reporting some people trying to walk home.

Rolfe.

A lot of people in Tokyo look like they're walking home. There are also live pictures right now of the main streets jammed with traffic.

As you say, it seems Tokyo hasn't been hit too hard especially compared to some of the towns in Iwate and Miyagi. Just saw some footage of whole houses being swept away up there.:(
 
Obama White House statement on earthquake in Japan:

"The friendship and alliance between our two nations is unshakeable"

Unfortunate choice of words...
 
ironic - just heard on BBC that in 2 weeks Sulawesi is scheduled to have an earthquake/tsunami drill based on the scenario of a major earthquake off the coast of Japan.

The USGS had similar drills planned for the same day except the effected regions were off the Northwest states for the Pacific and Virgin Islands for the Caribbean.
http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/
 
My eldest son's gf is in Tsukuba, and phone lines are down, but he's had a message that she's safe.

My heart goes out to all those caught up in the events there.
 
Seems to have been a bit more information on that nuclear reactor story:

TOKYO—The Japanese government issued an official emergency at one of the country's nuclear plants Friday after a massive earthquake automatically shut down its reactors and caused problems with its cooling system, but said there are currently no reports of radiation leakage.

"There are no reports of leakage from any nuclear power plants at the moment and no signs of any leakage," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Friday. As a result of the state of emergency, the government will set up a special emergency task force to deal with the situation.

At Tokyo Electric Power's Fukushima Daiichi plant, three reactors shut down automatically as designed after a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck off the northeast of Japan on Friday afternoon. The quake also caused diesel-powered generators used to cool the reactors to stop operating, leaving the utility company with a shortage of coolant to bring the reactors to a safe temperature.

Meanwhile, the three reactors at Tohoku Electric Power Co.'s Onagawa plant in Miyagi, near the epicenter of the quake, also shut down automatically. A few hours later, the company said that it observed smoke coming from the building housing the No. 1 reactor at the plant. The company said it is still checking the safety of the reactor, but said there has been no reported leakage of radioactive substances.

I think someone has already linked to it though:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703597804576194123030511478.html
 
Am i missing something?

All this article stated was that the cooling system failed at a plant. Nothing about fires, or an emergency. Maybe i dont know much about Nuclear Reactor facilities, but to me that article doesnt imply emergency or show evidence for it. I could be mistaken.

Anyway, if anyone finds a legitimate source stating anything about a Nuclear Power plant "emergency" please post a link. Trying to find out if there is any truth to this rumor that is spreading around FAST.

They've just ordered an evacuation zone around the reactor and are moving people out of the area
 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110311/wl_asia_afp/japanquakenuclearfire

http://translate.google.nl/translat...ikel/224779-live-tsunami-in-grote-oceaan.html (at 11:03 hours)

The news on this isn't very clear and sure right now, but I heard on TV here that the fire wasn't too close to the actual reactor.

ETA: link with video here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...e-breaks-out-at-nuclear-plant-in-Onagawa.html

There seems to be two different power stations involved.

Japan Issues Emergency at Nuclear Plant

At Tokyo Electric Power's Fukushima Daiichi plant, three reactors shut down automatically as designed after a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck off the northeast of Japan on Friday afternoon. The quake also caused diesel-powered generators used to cool the reactors to stop operating, leaving the utility company with a shortage of coolant to bring the reactors to a safe temperature.

Meanwhile, the three reactors at Tohoku Electric Power Co.'s Onagawa plant in Miyagi, near the epicenter of the quake, also shut down automatically. A few hours later, the company said that it observed smoke coming from the building housing the No. 1 reactor at the plant. The company said it is still checking the safety of the reactor, but said there has been no reported leakage of radioactive substances.
 
It wasn't too bad here in Kansai. In fact, I was underground when it happened and confused the slight movement I felt with a feeling of vertigo. Only after I walked upstairs and outside did I realize that there had been an earthquake strong enough to send people outside.

But it sure looks bad up north.
 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110311/wl_asia_afp/japanquakenuclearfire

http://translate.google.nl/translat...ikel/224779-live-tsunami-in-grote-oceaan.html (at 11:03 hours)

The news on this isn't very clear and sure right now, but I heard on TV here that the fire wasn't too close to the actual reactor.

ETA: link with video here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...e-breaks-out-at-nuclear-plant-in-Onagawa.html

Small problem, the video does not match the headline.

picture.php
 
It wasn't too bad here in Kansai. In fact, I was underground when it happened and confused the slight movement I felt with a feeling of vertigo. Only after I walked upstairs and outside did I realize that there had been an earthquake strong enough to send people outside.

But it sure looks bad up north.

Are you in Osaka too, shuize?

I'm almost surprised you felt it underground. I thought I only felt the quake because my building was swaying. It seemed to last for about ten or fifteen minutes which is much longer than usual.
 
Small problem, the video does not match the headline.

Oops! You're right, this video is of the oil refinery fire. I was shocked when I saw this big fire and thought it was at a nuclear plant. I thought it wasn't as bad as it might look because this wasn't close to the reactor. Turns out it isn't at the plant at all.

That's what you get when the news is happening so fast.
My bad.
 
Oops! You're right, this video is of the oil refinery fire. I was shocked when I saw this big fire and thought it was at a nuclear plant. I thought it wasn't as bad as it might look because this wasn't close to the reactor. Turns out it isn't at the plant at all.

That's what you get when the news is happening so fast.
My bad.

It's not your fault. I blame The Telegraph Lisa.
 
Oops! You're right, this video is of the oil refinery fire. I was shocked when I saw this big fire and thought it was at a nuclear plant. I thought it wasn't as bad as it might look because this wasn't close to the reactor. Turns out it isn't at the plant at all.

That's what you get when the news is happening so fast.
My bad.

Yeah, the pictures I've seen of what I think are the nuclear power stations don't look so bad.

There have been some pictures of a chemical plant on fire and I thought that Telegraph article was of the same plant. Maybe even the caption is wrong though. But it isn't a nuclear power station.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom