I am one of these mystics refered to (or at least who he should have refered to) in the OP.
It seems rather absurd that sceptics should be investigating or even trying to perform 'magic'.
Its rather like saying lets make some wings out of feathers, get some powerful microphones and night vision binoculars and go out into the fields to catch some mice like an owl! Or some of the first attempts to fly with wings made of feathers or the like.
Not quite. It's the mystics who proclaim that if you stuck feathers in your butt you'd become a chicken.
The skeptics would say, "that sounds implausible. How does this action work, exactly?"
Mystics would then say, "you have to believe first; if you don't believe, it won't work. Then, it's not *really* a physical transformation, that's just the word I used 'become.' The language is imprecise when talking about these kinds of things."
Skeptics then might say, "if it isn't a physical transformation, then how do you know if it works?"
To which the mystic responds, "once you become the chicken, you are able to see reality as it truly exists and not this illusion that you skeptics call reality."
And then the skeptic says, "great! Here are some chicken feathers. Knock yourself out."
Even geniune mystics can't perform 'magic', they merely notice subtle clues of the nature of reality, rather like the owl sees and catches its mice.
There are mystics here on JREF who have made those claims. Who are you to tell them that they're wrong and cannot perform chaos magic?
There is only one form of 'magic' that is even worth attempting and that it is well documented in teachings on 'Raja yoga'.
Ah. You practice raja yoga then, I presume?
I hope you have fond memories of these times, I have a few myself of my early years on the path.
And I have fond memories of when I tried the ouja board and when I and a friend of mine made wiccan magical amulets in order to bring more love into our lives. I kept the little crystal and feather and other stuff that was rubber banded together for a fair number of years. Followed all the steps and everything. Good, innocent intentions; it still didn't work.
Yes, occasionally, or at least I try to be open to such experiences.
The thing I find to be quite fascinating is that mystics think they're doing something that skeptics don't. The hubris can be quite amazing in some cases.
There are a huge number of skeptical JREFfers who have had these kinds of experiences, you're actually nothing special. Or rather more specifically, your experiences are nothing special. Ever had a NDE? I have. Many people have. A good friend of mine has had one and it's interesting to me to see how it's now the core of her life (not necessarily in a bad way); it redefined her and she identifies with her NDE. She has made claims of seeing the beginning of the universe and other similar statements. Alas, in my NDE, I never saw such things. Who knows? Maybe I'd be as "spiritual" as she is now.
And speaking of mundane experiences, that's why I think that for a long while I was really into buddhism. The teachings I read and studied taught that even if or when one reached enlightenment, it was wise to treat it as nothing special. One of my favorite parables is about exactly that.
And by "mundane experiences" I don't mean to belittle the experiences that you, I, all humans encounter. They are all truly amazing to me; it's just that I think it a mistake to take *one* particular experience and hold it up above all others and say "this is it. This is the meaning of ..."