If that's the case, then why pick a paper from the "ancient history" of astronomy?
I didn't just pick *ONE* paper Tim, I included several, including a recent one that I handed to The Man and Tubbythin that is on your list. I specifically selected a RANGE of papers, some that preceded my birth, and at least one fairly recent one to demonstrate a 60 YEAR HISTORY of circuit/discharge theories related to solar flare events! Oy. I realize you haven't been all that actively engaged in this conversation Tim, but you at least owe me the courtesy of skimming through the thread before you accuse me of presenting only *ONE* paper.
After all, 1969 is a long time ago, and Carlqvist's paper doesn't really use the circuit paradigm to describe the energy transfer physics anyway. Certainly,
Zaitsev & Stepanov, 1992 is both much more recent, and much more on point, examining the circuit paradigm fare mode deeply that Carlqvist or Alfven ever did, and relating the energy release mechanism much more closely to the circuit parameters. In any case, I think simply showing that the circuit paradigm is used or in some sense useful is not now necessary. That the circuit paradigm is actually used is well known and hardly what we would call "news" (e.g.,
Khodachenko, 2009,
Onel & Mann, 2009,
Wheatland & Farvis, 2004; and see
Liffman, 2007 which discusses electric circuits in young stellar objects).
The Onel and Mann paper is the one I recommended to The Man just recently. As always, you are an *EXCELLENT* resource of information and I think there is at least one of those papers you cited that I haven't read, maybe two! Cool. Thanks!
FYI, I never claimed circuit or discharge theories were "new". In fact I specifically cited Alfven and Carlqvist's work as well as Bruce's and Dungey's work to establish a *HISTORY* of circuit/discharge theory. I realize it's "old news". but it may not be "old news" to everyone reading this thread.
All of the discussion concerning the circuit paradigm, as well as what does or does not constitute an "electric discharge" is pointless.
If I am to take your wise advise from a prior post, "Ar, I believe it be time for ye to be walking the plAnk Matey."
I provided you with a perfectly good physical definition of a "discharge" in a plasma that jives with Dungey's association of a 'discharge" with a flare. I have clearly explained in this thread that Peratt's definition of an electrical discharge in a plasma is *INCLUSIVE* of any sort of magnetic energy transfer event, including any sort of "magnetic reconnection" event, whatever that might actually be at the level of actual particle physics inside of a explosive double layer.
Besides, it is obvious from your posting pattern that you would rather trade insults than actually deal with anything substantial.
No Tim, that is simply not true. I would love to move this conversation forward in a logical manner. I would LOVE (frankly I would expect) you and t to "step in" and explain to the confused members on your side of the aisle when they make mistakes, like claiming discharges cannot occur in conductors. Instead of doing so, you and t both dodge the issue, refuse to confront the issue, and we continue going around in circles on the denial-go-round just because none of you wish to embrace *DISCHARGE* theory that was written before I was personally even born.
Why do you even bother to respond to posts that you think are not making any scientific points?
What points are you willing to concede Tim? You won't accept the term "discharge' even after that wonderful advice about long walks off short planks. You won't confront the denial issue going on over on your side of the aisle over the whole discharges in conductors issue. You refuse to even allow the conversation to move forward by conceding any points, even *BLATANTLY OBVIOUS ONES* like "discharges happen in plasmas". How on Earth could can we expect the SS denial to ever make port if we all keep going around in circles to protect *ONE MEMBER* rather than seek scientific truth? Oy. Walk the plank matey.
