If you still don't understand why calculating the terminal velocity of a hypothetical apple to 4 decimal places set tom off, I'm afraid that's your fault.
Why don't you input some parameters into the ROOSD model and see how it works in the real world?
My point about the apple fall model was not the 6 significant figures. Although that was a historical point between femr & me.
My point was femr & MT's evident belief that finding a couple of aspects of reality that don't match up to a simplified model do not necessarily negate the whole model.
femr & MT appear to believe (they can speak for themselves) that any breakup (or even major breakup) of the upper block invalidate Bazant's model.
I disagree.
They appear to believe that a factor of 2 difference in the calculated descent speed invalidate BLGB's model.
I disagree.
MT states explicitly that the lack of bent & buckled columns negates Bazant's model.
I disagree.
In BZ & BV, Bazant constructs "continuum" models. This means that, in his model, there are no more columns, or air spaces, or concrete floors. There is a mysterious, non-defined substance that absorbs, continuously, the same average crush energy per floor that the towers (with their real columns, office contents, floors, trusses & air space) did.
Bazant explicitly states that he would not be the slightest surprised if his numbers were off by considerable factors. In one of his papers, he explicitly addressed the issue of "non-buckled columns" in the debris, and showed an idealized force vs. collapse curve that had about 1/10th the energy absorption as his "buckled column" limiting case.
So that was my point. Even with numeric errors in specific assumptions or in conclusions, there are valuable insights to be gained by his type of models.
___
I pointed out that the apple falling model required a radius of the falling object for its calculation. Not being a sphere, apples have no radius.
This is not a weakness of the model. The non-spherical variation is lost in the other uncertainties. Especially the drag coefficient of 0.5, which may be off by 20%.
(And anyone who posts 4, 5, or 6 significant digits as a result of a calculation, when one of your principle factors has a 20% error, is innumerate, i.e., numerically illiterate. An illiteracy of which femr adamantly stands proud)
But if I kept up a Johnnie-one-note tirade of "the falling apple is not valid because the apples aren't round", then I'd be the moron who didn't appreciate the value & the limits of the model.
Models are tools. They are also pieces of art.
Some people know how to use them. Some don't.
___
By the way, I've asked MT repeatedly what he thinks that Bazant proved. Exactly.
He's never replied.
Bazant did not prove that the buildings were not CD'd.
Bazant did prove that CD was not required for the crush down, once started, to propagate to the ground.
He proved that this one claim of the truthers (that in order for it to collapse completely without CD) was false.
Last edited:
