No. Do you own fact checking.Citation or drop it.
Awesome.I've got the original as well, the pulses are still there.
No, I don't think you did.You don't think I double-checked?
Have a nice day.
No. Do you own fact checking.Citation or drop it.
Awesome.I've got the original as well, the pulses are still there.
No, I don't think you did.You don't think I double-checked?
You failed to back up your allegation. Nice.
Here's another version of the beginning. Cuts off early.
No, I don't think you did.
Bažant and Verdure were very clear on the status of their crush-up before crush-down abstraction: It's a deliberate simplification of reality, justified by the following:
Disintegration of upper section A during the crush-down phase might lead to non-uniform lateral shedding, which could interfere with the model's assumption that all lateral shedding can be absorbed into a constant compaction ratio λ. So far as I can tell, that's the main problem the BV model might have with disintegration of section A during the crush-down phase.
- In their model, the physics of the crush-down phase imply the amount of crush-down is greater than the amount of crush-up. That's a consequence of the homogeneity, gravity, and the simple fact that the mass of section A plus B is always greater than the mass of section
BA.- In the motivating example of the WTC towers, the amount of crush-down that occurs during the crush-down phase of their model must dominate the amount of crush-up. That's obvious because the initial size of section A is less than the initial size of section C, section C was completely crushed, and the crush-down phase is defined to be the duration of section C's crushing.
- Crushing is assumed to occur only after some threshold for elastic deformation has been exceeded. Combining that with the fact that the crushing force is
alwaysgreater at the lower crushing front than at the upper, that threshold amplifies the disparity between crushing at those two fronts beyond what would be expected without any threshold.- Bažant and Verdure may appear to believe the threshold is pretty large because they still discuss their model in terms of one of the optimistic assumptions from Bažant and Zhou: that all of the impact forces go into the columns. So far as I can tell, however, that assumption is not part of the mathematical model in BV. A large threshold would increase the dominance of crush-down over crush-up during the crush-down phase, but crush-down would predominate even without a large threshold.
- Any disintegration of the upper section A that occurs for reasons other than crush-up during the crush-down phase would increase the predominance of crush-down over crush-up during the crush-down phase, thereby improving the model's assumption that crush-up is negligible during the crush-down phase.
- The crush-down before crush-up simplification of the BV model continues to apply even if there is nothing left of section A by the end of the crush-down phase. In that case, the crush-up phase happens to be trivial, with zero duration.
There are a couple of people here who seem to think any disintegration of section A during the crush-down phase would invalidate the BV model's assumption that crush-up can be neglected during the crush-down phase. So far as I can tell, that's completely nuts.
Standard disclaimer: I am not an engineer. If some qualified person is willing to point out my mistakes, I will listen.
Sometimes I listen to unqualified persons who clearly don't know what they're talking about, but I'm likely to tune them out eventually if they disregard criticism of their errors or refuse to explain salient points of their argument(s).
I have no issue with that interpretation, and that's an excellent example of how to take the real parameters to feed them into the model. I don't share your conclusion that he's in a kind of limbo. The column cross sections are parameters of the building; when fed into the model, the behavior of the model is that the (calculated, as you point out) distance of initial crush-up is not larger.Any issue with the following interpretation...
"The aforementioned (calculated) distance of initial crush-up would be larger if the column cross sections (in the real building) changed discontinuously right below or right above the first collapsed storey (in the real building). However, this does not appear to be the case (in the real building)...(therefore the distance of initial crush-up is not larger.)"
The author is writing from a position somewhat in limbo between the virtual and real worlds, if you ask me (which you're not) but there you go anyway![]()
That's indeed what I have been doing with MT all this time, but he seems to have quite a big amount of difficulty in understanding the simple distinction between discussing the results of applying the parameters to a model, which is what BL does, and discussing the real collapse.If any of you folks misapply the details with the Bazant et al papers, then here is the logical place for highlighting such.
I did pay attention, ... You said the speed, the velocity of falling was too fast, I said nothing about the model for ejected air, but the collapse velocity they have is low, the last floor was moving 51.4 m/s. That means there is more velocity to add to the ejection. But since this is a mathematical model I understand why you can't comprehend it, or 911. Your CD theory is a delusion fed by ignorance in engineering and the need to have paranoid crazy conspiracy theories. 19 terrorists simple plot is too hard to comprehend for most of 911 truth, over their heads, 2 steps too many.Choice of ψ and all that, yeah, though exceeding Mach. 1 sounds like an interesting prospect. ROFL.
You really should pay more attention Beachnut. Mach 1 as conservative ?! Funny man.
Sooo Beachnut....
Where are all these multiple sonic booms in the real world A/V footage ? That's gonna be audible for, oooh, long distance
The simple point highlighted, again, is that not only is the crush front calculated value provably wildly inaccurate (at best), but the authors are applying a derived value to the real world and making conclusions from such. Not a good idea. N/A if you will.
Have a nice day.
You are wrong. Don't let that stop your goal free step by step proof of CD and attack on engineering, Bazant, and NIST. Do you have plan to tie this tripe to your step by step proof of CD?Their calculated crush front propagation velocity is wrong
that THIS PARTICULAR video is doctored? I have no idea.You can't seriously be suggesting that the video is doctored ?
A video doctored to highlight a gravity driven crush front progression ? Hilarious.
Have a nice day.
Yes, and I have that distinction very clear in my mind. It's MT who doesn't, and I accepted his derailing in order to show him for the (N+1)'th time that he is making a wrong interpretation of the papers. He is believing all this time that BL is discussing how the WTC towers behaved in reality, when it's pretty clear when reading the text in its context that the authors are discussing the behavior of the model.I acknowledge your premise - that there is a clear distinction between 'model' and 'real world' - and note that the OP is "Applicability to...real world'.
I also see that you attribute all or most of Bazant's references to WTC as applying the parameters of WTC to the Bazant model(s). Let's accept that for purposes of discussion.
So at the very least your position has a clear distinction between 'model' and 'real world'. And I draw the distinction between your position which is 'Bazant applied WTC to the model' and the alternate position which is 'applying the model to real world'. The reversal is significant.
What does that have to do with how I respond to MT's original question? Namely this one:actually a poor analogy because it implies more than it can support. ROOSD is not an irrelevant consideration. It is a base explanation of a collapse mechanism just as Bazant's assumptions of a collapse involving 'homogeneous' blocks with columns offering resistance and no distinction between core, OOS, outer columns. That is the base for Bazant's model - not the base in the real world....4. ROOSD is NOT a mathematical model, therefore, it's apples and oranges....
So Bazant builds such maths as he requires on the model he chooses. Major_Tom is exploring the real world and he defines his collapse mechanism which just happens to correspond with the most commonly accepted model. Don't be thrown by the ROOSD terminology. Recall babies and bathwater. ROOSD is the base for the real world, not the base for Bazant's model.
4) Is ROOSD consistent the claims of crush down preceding crush up in BV and BL?
Fair enough, you were not specific beyond *final velocity*.You said the speed, the velocity of falling was too fast, I said nothing about the model for ejected air
Real-world equivalent velocity was ~28m/s.but the collapse velocity they have is low, the last floor was moving 51.4 m/s. That means there is more velocity to add to the ejection. But since this is a mathematical model I understand why you can't comprehend it
Real-world equivalent velocity was ~28m/s.femr2 said:Their calculated crush front propagation velocity is wrong
beachnut said:You are wrong.
Spot on. But they keep trying.End of the day you have not shown that Bazant or NIST didn't know what they were talking about.
Thats pretty much the conclusion of this rather long thread.
Not my source. Not a doctored video.your source is biased and shows doctored videos.
A fantastic example of repeating the same mistake over and over.Frank Greening's calculations, which are compared to actual observed collapse times yielded:
Tower 2
Final impact velocity, v = 51.2 m/s
Tower 1
Final impact velocity v = 50.7 m/s
ENERGY TRANSFER IN THE WTC COLLAPSE
'The resulting calculated values of the collapse times, tc,
(12.5 seconds for WTC 1 and 11.5 seconds for WTC 2), are already quite close to the
observed collapse times '
Assuming the measurements of researchers at 9/11 Forums are accurate, and that the final collapse times of Greening are also accurate, then the final velocity has to be faster than what Femr2 is claiming (28.8 m/s or so).
Otherwise the collapses would've taken longer. QED
If we dismiss the failure of the outer flooring system, do you think the model can be more reliably applied to what is left?With respect to the model's assumption of vertical homogeneity, I see two possible problems with applying that assumption to the WTC towers:
If I understand you correctly, your objection to vertical homogeneity may be based upon the second of those problems. If so, that's really a problem with the one-dimensionality of the model.
- The mechanical floors might have been different enough to matter.
- Differential collapse rates between the core and the area outside the core, if combined with significant interactions between the two, could conceivably invalidate the assumption of vertical homogeneity.
You have a point here. One thing that that study can't explain is why the outer columns didn't bend inwards as the floors fell. Your explanation that it's the pressure front makes much more sense to me.You're claiming that the upper block, plowing its way thru the lower structure, created a front end that matched perfectly the inside dimensions of the peripheral wall???
And magically sheared all the internal floors perfectly from outer columns ??
![]()
And left a massively unstable external wall standing in place???
![]()
![]()
![]()
Wrong. No surprise you have a CD theory.Fair enough, you were not specific beyond *final velocity*.
Real-world equivalent velocity was ~28m/s.
Real-world equivalent velocity was ~28m/s.
All pressure on perimeter from internal avalanche was outwards.You have a point here. One thing that that study can't explain is why the outer columns didn't bend inwards as the floors fell.
Oh, come on. The North-South WTC1 crush fronts are well documented at The911Forum, and have been for quite some time. Pressure front that only affects one region (SW Face) ? With another trailing behind (NW Face) ? With *dust jests* being ejected both ahead of and behind the crush fronts ?Your explanation that it's the pressure front makes much more sense to me.
The general terminal velocity of the WTC 1 SW crush front propogation. Measured by tracing the SW ejecta. Not a single value, a trend.What is 28 m/s?
No Beachnut.The average speed of the entire collapse, the first impact
Ish. And most before that up to about 4s after release., the last impact?
Maybe, if you're being pedantic about the lower storey not having any OOS flooring. And some variation of the value throughout. It's a trend.You can't use 28 m/s as the last floor collapsing.
May well be, but not that floor only.Your speed is the velocity of collapse for the 73rd floor.
How did the trusses push outwards?All pressure on perimeter from internal avalanche was outwards.
I don't see why not. What I do see is that the runaway hypothesis is contradicted by the behavior of the outer walls.Oh, come on. The North-South WTC1 crush fronts are well documented at The911Forum, and have been for quite some time. Pressure front that only affects one region (SW Face) ? With another trailing behind (NW Face) ? With *dust jests* being ejected both ahead of and behind the crush fronts ?
No, I've seen no reason to bother yet.Have you read the thread I linked earlier ?