Well that worked quite well. You’re still in fine form there Pixy.
And for an appropriate response, I’ll quote you again Pixy:
There are many, besides Chomsky, who flatly disagree with your glowing assessment of the state of our understanding of consciousness. The never-ending conflicts on the various consciousness-related boards would also seem to blatantly contradict your position.
As for evidence, there’s lots of it….and more arriving all the time (I’d refer to Bem’s recent experiments but doubtless you’re familiar with those). The fact is, it’s an incredibly complex and unique area of study….and one which is fraught with massive prejudices (on both sides of the issues). I could point you to a number of individuals who explore the subject in a balanced and comprehensive manner (Braude, Radin, and Bem for example) but there’s no more point in doing that than there is in actually discussing them. As many a hapless poster has discovered at JREF before, you’ve all already pre-judged the issue.
I’ve watched a number JREF contributors post anecdotes relating extremely unusual and for the most part very well documented experiences that simply have no explanation (I could name each of them….they’ve all been, like AkuManiMani….extremely intelligent, capable, and, for the most part…skeptical) . Their experiences have invariably been presented in a very balanced and open manner. In other words, they’ve never suggested ESP or supernatural or paranormal or this or that or anything. They’ve simply tried to present the facts as they know them.
….and what has happened….every…single…time.
Liar, fool, dreamer, moron,…insults, derision, ridicule, contempt.
Every…single…time.
Like I said, most of you would rather stick pencils in your eyes than even consider the possibility. If you’re really interested, track down some of the work of those names I’ve mentioned (there’s lots more)….but I truly doubt any of you are interested. You’re only interested in preserving the bubble of ignorance you live in. The evidence really is overwhelming though (dump your prejudices for a few minutes and actually look)….and as science expands it’s understanding and it’s ability to confidently explore these issues it will become more overwhelming still.
But…most JREF’ers have already come to their own conclusions, despite our massive ignorance of what it is we’re even studying. Conclusion: explicit proof of scientific illiteracy (among skeptics….blasphemy!!!!)…IOW…assuming conclusions when the jury is still not just out but massively out on what it is that we’re even studying and despite numerous examples of phenomena for which we simply have no definitive or often even viable explanation (if may come as a genuine surprise to many here but to simply decide that someone is hallucinating actually is not a viable scientific explanation).
Sorry Pixy, but for you to claim that we already pretty much know everything there is to know about consciousness is, to borrow your expression, utter fantasy.