Yes they are. It's just one type of discharge among many types. The only thing that is "different" about a lightening discharge is that it *JUST SO HAPPENS* to start in a gas and the process *STARTS* by ionizing a gas once the buildup process reaches a critical energy state. In other words, it just so happens that the process *STARTS* in a gas, rather than a plasma, but other than that, it's still buildup (storage) of EM energy, followed by a DISCHARGE that ionizes the media and CONTINUES TO DISCHARGE THROUGH A CONDUCTOR.
A plasma is a gas. The gas in this case is a dielectric however, a difference you seemed determined not to mention. The only reason there is a “buildup (storage) of” charge is because that gas is a dielectric.
How many ways to I have to explain that? The lightning is just *ONE* kind of "electrical discharge", albeit a POWERFUL one, and a FAST one, hence the comparison by MANY authors including Dungey and Bruce.
An electrical discharge that specifically involves the breakdown of a dielectric and the dielectric is responsible for the charge separation in the first place.
Yes. I'd rather start with ALFVEN's circuits actually since it is THOSE circuits and presentation we are discussing, not tusenfem's circuits.
So start, show you can explain as you have claimed you could. Oh and we are also talking about tusenfem's circuits, specifically why after having them presented you just don’t want to address them.
All I can say is "wow". I have never been involved in a thread with so many dodged direct questions before. Every time I ask a question that might settle any sort of debate, the individuals simply dodges the question and around and around the denial-go-round we go. Was Dungey correct that discharges can happen in plasma? Yes or no? It's really a simple question. Why do you refuse to answer it?
Excuse me, where have I refused to answer anything? Dungey appears to be referring to a large and sudden current as a discharge and in that context yes large and sudden currents can happen in plasma. Did you really need another poster to tell you this?
How can I explain anything if we can't agree on what a "discharge" in a "plasma" is and everyone keeps dodging the direct questions that might settle anything?
Your question is ambiguous; you have not defined what you mean by “discharge" let alone a “"discharge" in a "plasma"”. We don’t need to agree (and we very likely may not) you just need to define explicitly what you mean by “a "discharge" in a "plasma"”. While I doubt it will actually settle anything it might enable us to actually talk about what you do mean by ““"discharge" in a "plasma"”.
Nothing is going to get settled until you define what you mean by "discharge" and explained how you think it happens in a "plasma". I’ve given an explanation of what I mean by discharge (a dissipation of an accumulated charge) you’re the one who keeps dogging
Yes or no did Dungey claim electrical discharges could happen in the solar atmosphere? Just answer the question.
From what I've read he did, so what?
*IF* I could get GM or the other haters to AGREE on that a "discharge" is a storage and rapid release of EM energy we might have a shot at "explaining' something. If everyone is intent on dodging every direct question and issue, it's nothing but a denial-go-round. Your call.
What you mean like the direct question I asked you that you have not answered?
Why are you so hung up on GeeMack, Reality Check, Dungey, Alfven or anyone? Define specifically what you mean, only then can the discussion advance (hopefully).
Oh by the way “storage and rapid release of EM energy” doesn’t really work that well, as a the “storage” part is the building up of the accumulated charge and though that can happen as a result of a much larger charge discharging it does have to be that way. Second a discharge can happen over a long period of time, in general without any breakdown the discharge takes as long as the charging did. So essentially what you seem to be saying is that a solar flare is a “rapid release of EM energy” (amazing insight) and you just want to define a "discharge" as a “rapid release of EM energy”. Actually that would still make magnetic reconnection a viable cause for a solar flare as that is a “storage and rapid release of EM energy”.