I think it's very interesting that people spend so much time on staring at the murder room photos, speculating about the location of the lamp and mop and so forth.
Someone on Less Wrong suggested that it might be the result of people learning about criminology from fictional detective stories, where minor details like the dog that did not bark, the scratch on the bridge or the left-handed corkscrew on the butler's lapel turn out to be decisive clues and the brilliant detective deduces every important aspect of the crime from a succession of such clues.
There's always that elusive hope, it would seem, that you'll be the one to spot something entirely game-changing from your armchair.
While it wouldn't normally be very probable that you could learn anything that would lead a court to revise its views that way, I have to say that in this case it's been done successfully, albeit by a professional (
Ron Hendry). I think it's only possible in this case though because the court's initial findings were so disastrously wrong on every major point.