PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Mar 6, 2007
- Messages
- 21,203
There are a number of "Have you stopped beating your wife yet? Yes/No" questions.
I somehow lost the image.
On a 45 degree line from the bottom left corner, about 2/3 of the way up the green area, which I think would surprise most of my friends. I think where I might have chosen "Don't know or a middle choice, I went for the more liberal option as default. Two beers and I'd have been over near Pixymisa someplace.

Hmm, a fair point; it should indeed vary from country to country, although most western nations probably have tax rates at least in the same ballpark, I'd guess. It's difficult, since taxation of the rich seems quite an important defining issue of left/right, and I can't think of a better more universal way of asking the question. I suppose something like "the rich should be taxed considerably more than the non-rich" might be clearer, but it also waters it down somewhat.Well how about we start with "the rich are taxed too much". I have major issues with that question. I've explained them - it's entirely dependendent on where you live and what tax rates are like there.
Hmm, a fair point; it should indeed vary from country to country, although most western nations probably have tax rates at least in the same ballpark, I'd guess. It's difficult, since taxation of the rich seems quite an important defining issue of left/right, and I can't think of a better more universal way of asking the question. I suppose something like "the rich should be taxed considerably more than the non-rich" might be clearer, but it also waters it down somewhat.
Yes, but practically all (income) tax systems have a principle of progressive tax rates, and in most (if not all) countries have made them less progressive in the last 20 or so years. That holds for the Scandinavian countries too. So while New Zealandic (?) taxes may be lower, they're lower for everyone. In that respect, I don't see much problem with the question. A New Zealander will compare the lowest tax bracket of 11.5% with the highest of 35.5% (wiki), while a Dane will compare the lowest effective tax rate of approx. 30% with the highest effective tax rate of approx. 45% (wiki). When you look at it that way, Denmark has a lower income tax structure than New Zealand.Actually my understanding is tax rates vary quite enormously from country to country in the west. I know that rates in Scandanavia, for example, are much much higher than here in NZ.
My computer skills are not that great, so I blew the posting of the chart. Ecconomic -10, Social -7.5.
You guys think it's healthy to be that far on one side?
You almost seem proud of it.
What's your chart, Pardalis?You think being off the chart is a good thing?
Pretty much the same as Deepatrax and Mortimer.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196912
You do realize that you're a pinko commie socialist then?![]()
Yes, but practically all (income) tax systems have a principle of progressive tax rates, and in most (if not all) countries have made them less progressive in the last 20 or so years. That holds for the Scandinavian countries too. So while New Zealandic (?) taxes may be lower, they're lower for everyone. In that respect, I don't see much problem with the question. A New Zealander will compare the lowest tax bracket of 11.5% with the highest of 35.5% (wiki), while a Dane will compare the lowest effective tax rate of approx. 30% with the highest effective tax rate of approx. 45% (wiki). When you look at it that way, Denmark has a lower income tax structure than New Zealand.![]()
Everything I have seen in ther world around me indicates that the true answers are to be found down here in this corner.You think being off the chart is a good thing?
Everything I have seen in ther world around me indicates that the true answers are to be found down here in this corner.
Certainly better than being up there in the same corner with Thatcher and the Shrub.