Matteini had it wrong
I don't like to make assumptions myself, and I am quite unable to divine from your comment whether you are conceding that Sollecito did in fact tell the police that Amanda had gone to Le Chic that night, as opposed to grudgingly admitting that, having failed to keep watch over her all night, he couldn't for fact certain deny that she might have slipped away for a few minutes. I will point out that, if all the jury has to go on is Judge Matteini's report, they will have in front of them her finding that Sollecito told the police Amanda had gone to Le Chic, not to return until 1:00 am or so. And Sollecito has no way, short of taking the stand, to air the theories proposed here (including 'internalized false memory') about how he was "coerced." Well, I take that back. He has gone on at some length about being relieved of his shoes.
nopoirot,
Raffaele said words to the effect, “I do not remember exactly,” when Judge Matteini asked him whether Amanda went out on the evening of 1 November. The account that I read does not make it clear what amount of time Judge Matteini had in mind, and it is possible that her question was ambiguous in this regard. That point noted, it is difficult to see how Amanda and Raffaele could have done the things that they said they did with her being gone for four hours.
First Magistrate’s hearing in front of Judge Matteini (8 November 2007)
page 210, Darkness Descending.
“Judge Matteini said, ‘There are several points, Mr. Sollecito, that differ between your version of today and your version of events as related on the evening of 5 November just three days ago. Can you explain whether you were with Amanda Knox that evening or not?’
Now it was make-or-break time. Matteini had posed the million-dollar question. The one Mignini had been waiting for.
His pay-off was unexpected, effectively an explosive retraction of his initial confession.
Raffaele said, ‘I’m sorry I told you that crap about not being with Amanda. We were together that evening.’
…But now on the key point of the night in question, he was sticking to her like glue again. Backing her up… ‘I can confirm that I spent the night with Amanda Knox.’”
A Murder in Italy, page 198
“Then the judge asked the Italian student what he did remember, prompting a long, dull discussion about the broken pipe under the sink, which he had showed Amanda, discussing with her the probable cause of the leak, a perennial problem in that flat. He also remembered eating dinner with her, watching a movie, working on his computer, getting tired, and going to sleep. Yes of course they slept together. He just couldn’t remember what time they did each action, because he’d been stoned, in a holiday mood, and not punching a time clock.”
Based on these two accounts, I would say that Raffaele has disavowed what he said on 5 November, and that he is implying that she might have left for a few minutes but not the entire evening. I am not sure why any person would take anything said in the Matteini report as being worth more than a plugged nickel, given that she thought Patrick was involved. Besides, I am not aware that this report carries any legal weight any longer.