• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Where do you score on this political compass/test?

Well, I'm not sure what happened here. I should have been more up and left, as I am one of the last bleeding-heart liberals. Humph.

My scores:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85


[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/imagehosting/thum_428114d26910bb4818.png[/qimg]

your score says you are very socially progressive, and hate state control and power.

that ain't bad. :)
But I believe in the rule of law and in the government being responsible for more things, like health care and the homeless and regulating corporations and banking and all that. So why aren't I higher in the grid?
 
But I believe in the rule of law and in the government being responsible for more things, like health care and the homeless and regulating corporations and banking and all that. So why aren't I higher in the grid?

clearly you don't believe in an intrusive government.

but i also think the test should have twice as many questions.
 
Economic Left/Right: -1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

Meh, the times I've done this test before i have usually been more authoritarian and "fascist" than that. The feeling of being controlled and dominated is so sexual, powerful and enchanting...
188094b241eeed527c.gif
 
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44

picture.php
 
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90

[qimg]http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.75&soc=-3.90[/qimg]

I'm surprised I showed up as far to the left as I did, though I knew I would score on the libertarian side of the equation.

Unbelievable as it may sound, we are almost exactly in the same spot - off by a few hundreths either way.:D:D:D:D:eek:
 
The fact that there is no "Don't know" or other middle option is deliberate, as they say in the faq. People in such quizzes with multiple choice will often pick the middle option simply because they haven't really thought about it, but their answer may be revealing. The faq also gives reasons for some other things that people often complain about.
 
I somehow lost the image.
On a 45 degree line from the bottom left corner, about 2/3 of the way up the green area, which I think would surprise most of my friends. I think where I might have chosen "Don't know or a middle choice, I went for the more liberal option as default. Two beers and I'd have been over near Pixymisa someplace.
 
the ONLY think I don't like about the test, is that it says "Left" and "Right", when it should say "Conservative" and Progressive". To often, Left and Right are associated with Libertarianism and Authoritarianism, which screws up the understanding of the graph.
I think "Left" and "Right" are quite apt: they describe the traditional economic emphases of the terms. "Left" is in favour of collective ownership of the means of production, "Right" is in favour of a completely free market.

I think I'm a bit more law-abiding/respecting than my results say. and not as progressive.
There's nothing more "law-abiding" about any Left/Right position than any other. Private ownership is also just a human construction. Primitive cavemen had no notion of private ownership - read your Engels (Friedrich that is :)).

That said, here is my graph:
 
I definitely do not like the questions for some of the reasons already posted. I will go check out the FAQ though. I confess, after reading the first page of questions, my skeptic-sense was tingling. I glanced at the URL. Being a non-profit doesn't automatically confer legitimacy, but it does hint at it a little-tiny-bit. So, I went forward with it, no harm if it were trash.

I figured I would have been at the absolute bottom of the chart, halfway left.
According to this, I am slightly more moderate than that.

Honestly, now that I think about it, I am not going to go back and look at the FAQ. I don't really care that much. I already know (as I am sure with the vast majority of posters here) pretty much where I fit on the chart. Fine resolution is entirely dependent on whims, moods, interpretation of the questions, etc.

I do think these types of tests and exercises are wonderful for those people who have not thought about their political leanings much. I see them at Libertarian tables at Expos and State Fairs. I tend to think that many people (at least in my experience) could be questioned in such a way that they would fit into this camp. Nobody is really "for" government oppression.

ETA: On some that I have seen the axis (how the hell do you say the plural of "axis"?!?) are "social freedom" (+/-) and "financial freedom" (+/-). Setting up basically, republican, democrat, socialist, and libertarian quadrants.
 

Attachments

  • pcgraphpng.php.png
    pcgraphpng.php.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom