Sure, we could even require that all witnesses be questioned only by attorneys appointed by the courts to represent them. The flip side to this approach is that, had Guede been put away earlier, Meredith would probably still be looking on the light.nopoirot,
The Innocence Project wrote, "The electronic recording of interrogations, from the reading of Miranda rights onward, is the single best reform available to stem the tide of false confessions."
It's a different matter when she gets on more dangerous ground. There is a lengthy segment of testimony on who and how Patrick came to be named. It it were put into the format and font of a typical testimony transcript, it would be 24 pages long.
It begins with her being asked why she had never mentioned Patrick before 1:45 on November 6:
"Because that was the one where they suggested Patrick's name to me."
It ends with her grudging concession, "No. They didn't say it was him, but they said "We know who it is, we know
who it is. You were with him, you met him."
SNIP
So, "...they suggested Patrick's name to me." and "No. They didn't say it was him," cannot both be true. Since she volunteered "...they suggested Patrick's name to me." and had admitted that the latter was true only after the persistent, patient questioning by the judge, I think "...they suggested Patrick's name to me." is a lie.
The family of one of the accused (Knox) hired an expensive Seattle PR firm that uses political campaign style "tactics" (their word) to 'muddy the waters' in respect of the inculpatory evidence.
I prefer this statement analysis from expert Steve Moore...
Sure, we could even require that all witnesses be questioned only by attorneys appointed by the courts to represent them. The flip side to this approach is that, had Guede been put away earlier, Meredith would probably still be looking on the light.
...
It's a different matter when she gets on more dangerous ground. There is a lengthy segment of testimony on who and how Patrick came to be named. It it were put into the format and font of a typical testimony transcript, it would be 24 pages long.
It begins with her being asked why she had never mentioned Patrick before 1:45 on November 6:
"Because that was the one where they suggested Patrick's name to me."
It ends with her grudging concession, "No. They didn't say it was him, but they said "We know who it is, we know
who it is. You were with him, you met him."
How can anyone reasonably base a 'rational' argument on representations from Steve Moore?
The man's penchant for making (demonstrable) misrepresentations is a disgrace to the agency he claims to have once worked for.
I have made it clear that I really enjoy Frank's posts and his writing style. Clearly this pessimistic approach with some of the hardcore supporters of innocence seems to be spreading. I don't understand it nor do I agree with it. I know Charlie has given his reasoning on this but I am not convinced.
Frank's latest post which I would characterize as so sad, too bad.
http://perugia-shock.blogspot.com/2011/01/angels-and-demons-around-amanda-knox.html
How can anyone reasonably base a 'rational' argument on representations from Steve Moore?
The man's penchant for making (demonstrable) misrepresentations is a disgrace to the agency he claims to have once worked for.
Is your lawyer acquaintance of the opinion that the right to a "Miranda Warning" attaches before arrest?nopoirot,
Why Rudi was a free man as of 1 November 2007 is one of the mysteries of this case. However, I see no reason to bring a discussion of witness or suspect interrogations into a conversation about why he had not been detained. My understanding is that Rudi acknowledged being in possession of stolen goods in Milan (with a nonsensical story of how he came by them), and I think that there might have been enough evidence to arrest him as of that time.
In the U.S. police sometimes delay reading someone his or her Miranda rights until after they have incriminated themselves, according to an acquaintance of mine who is a lawyer. That is why I did not draw a bright line between witnesses and suspects in my previous response.
Do you think Moore is lying about his FBI career?
I formed my opinion after reading about it. How did you form yours? You were at the crime scene? You're a forensic pathologist?
I have high regard for Steve Moore's professional career and analysis. I find him highly principled and astute. I am aware he has made a few mistakes.
2) What was the nature of any contract that might have been signed between the parties?
This post is clearly off topic and aimed at driving traffic to another (fading) pro-Knox website.
Forgive me but I need a little help here. I am wondering why, if Amanda's so called confession is to be believed, why is Patrick not still in jail? Why on earth would Amanda confess to being there with Patrick, knowing this could easily be disproved?
this sort of flaw can be a prime indicator of a false confession, evidence that the police, not the suspect, provided the story line.
I don't recall ever saying that, or anything like it. A direct answer to the question would be, "Yes." although her answer is an affirmation by inference. Her answer would be a clear and direct answer to two questions, "When did you...? and "How often...?"
I don't think Treehorn was trying to assert that every answer she gave was evasive. The marijuana questions are not particularly dangerous for her; it is not in her interests to deny it, since that would undercut her explanation for her confusion and lapses of memory.
It's a different matter when she gets on more dangerous ground. There is a lengthy segment of testimony on who and how Patrick came to be named. It it were put into the format and font of a typical testimony transcript, it would be 24 pages long.
It begins with her being asked why she had never mentioned Patrick before 1:45 on November 6:
"Because that was the one where they suggested Patrick's name to me."
It ends with her grudging concession, "No. They didn't say it was him, but they said "We know who it is, we know
who it is. You were with him, you met him."
Judge Massei would disagree with your assessment that she was "answering clearly, directly, on the topic, and without evasion." Here are some excerpts from points in between the "they suggested Patrick's name to me." and the "No. They didn't say it was him,..." in which the judge tries to get her to answer the question; you don't get judges saying things like this if the witness is providing clear, direct, relevant, non-evasive testimony, and it would not have taken 24 pages worth to get there if she weren't being evasive.
Judge Massei: Excuse me, excuse me, the pubblico ministero wants to hear
precise details about the suggestions about what to say, and also about the
cuffs, who gave them to you.
***
Judge Massei: Excuse me, okay, we understand that there was a continuous
crescendo.
AK: Yes.
Judge Massei: As you said earlier. But if we could now get to the questions of the
pubblico ministero, otherwise it will really be impossible to avoid some
interruptions. If you want to be able to continue as tranquilly, as
continuously as possible...
AK: Okay, I'm sorry.
Judge Massei: So, if you could get to the questions about exactly when, exactly who...
these suggestions, exactly what did they consist in? It seems to me...
***
Judge Massei: All right. You were telling us that the interpreter was telling you about
something that had happened to her. But you need to get back to the questions asked by the
pubblico ministero. This isn't a spontaneous declaration now. This is an examination. That
means the pubblico ministero has asked you a question, always the same question, and we
still haven't really heard the answer to it.
So, "...they suggested Patrick's name to me." and "No. They didn't say it was him," cannot both be true. Since she volunteered "...they suggested Patrick's name to me." and had admitted that the latter was true only after the persistent, patient questioning by the judge, I think "...they suggested Patrick's name to me." is a lie.
The "who-said-Patrick's-name-first" argument has been in the blogs for a long time. It probably crept into people's minds because they thought Mignini was asking a meaningful question when he asked this:
...