Treehorn! Nice to see you back. I am sure that a detailed response to my last post to you will be forthcoming.
...
The claim that Amanda carried the knife around with her is unsupported and highly implausible to boot.
The fact that if these implausible things had happened it would also be more rational and indeed in my view more likely that they just would have disposed of the hypothetical murder knife along with the hypothetical murder clothes and shoes is just the icing of further improbability on the cake of ludicrous post hoc rationalisation.
...
In any case, I look forward to your response to the outstanding issues of whether you were completely wrong in claiming that Amanda and Rudy smoked marijuana together several times, whether you attempted to defend this claim with citations that did not back it up, how someone who claims to be a lawyer can get the maxim "never ask a question you do not know the answer to" so badly wrong twice, what your theory of the crime is and what non-unique subset of the evidence would be sufficient to convince you that Amanda Knox's guilt is >50% probable.
I don't know where to start - you tend to attack on multiple fronts which requires a lot of something I don't like: typing.
Here's a start:
1) You claimed 'Amanda didn't know Rudy': The evidence I cited destroyed your claim.
2) You then claimed Amanda met Rudy "once at most": Amanda's own testimony destroys your claim, as does the testimony of Giorgio Cocciaretto.
3) You also claimed that the PMF translation is in error: I am not fluent in Italian and cannot ascertain whether this is, in fact, correct. I will consider bringing it to their attention but, as they are the only group of talented volunteers to have made the bold move of publishing a carefully executed translation for the world to judge, I see no reason to doubt them in the meantime. Their diligence and dedication speak volumes.
4) You then claimed there's 'no evidence whatsoever' to support the proposition that Amanda smoked dope with Rudy: The cross-examination of Amanda undermines this claim as well. Amanda's answers were clearly evasive and calculated to deceive the triers. After just one month in the cottage, who were the 'friends Amanda smoked dope with in mid-October', if not the 3 girls and 4 boys living in the cottage, and hosting the little party – where dope was smoked - in mid-October?! Further, I don't suppose you've read what Rudy has to say about his 'high times' with Amanda? Is his self-serving 'prison diary' any more, or less, credible than Amanda's self-serving prison diary?!
5) It is now claimed that the PMF translation of the cross-examination in Q is in error. Again, I cannot ascertain whether this is correct. I will consider bringing it to the attention of the talented team at PMF, but see no reason to doubt them in the meantime.
6) You have not cited a legal "maxim": Every "maxim" I learned at law school was expressed in Latin and likely to appear, from time to time, in the opinions of learned Supreme Court Justices and Law Lords.
The (well known) notion that one ought not ask a question they do not already know the answer to during a cross-examination, however, was never once expressed to us in the form of a formal Latin 'legal maxim', nor have I ever seen it appear (in any form) in an opinion.
Your (fatuous and offensive) rant on the subject revealed that you haven't a clue what conducting a cross-examination is really like. It rarely, if ever, goes according to 'script'!!! Although, in theory, a cross is, as you Googled (I suppose), little more than a series of pre-prepared accusations fired at the witness in the form of leading Q’s, in practice, it's a lot more complex: Witnesses do NOT stick to their police statements, depositions, etc., nor do they stick to the little pre-prepared script you've imagined. They routinely change their stories when they get on the stand. The changes may be small or large, they may be unintentional or cunning, but they're are always there, and you've got to be fast on your feet. Nailing them down without going fishing is an art, and the lawyer in Q didn't even get his canvas framed before he was stopped short.
See Tom's examples as to why this happened.
7) My take on the cross-exam of Knox was simply this: from the POV of a common law lawyer, the cross was EXTREMELY limited/ brief/ restrained/ easy on the accused. There are dozens more leading questions on the point (smoking dope with Rudy) that could have been fired at Knox (without running afoul of your so-called "maxim") to nail her down into an even more ridiculous position.
Tom agreed. We began to discuss some of the differences extant in the Italian civil law tradition that might account for the EXTREMELY limited cross in question.
Unfortunately, your rudeness seems to have forced Tom to leave us. This board is all the poorer for it. (Unless of course they'd prefer to learn about the law from, oh, I dunno, school teachers, part time sociology students at diploma mills, etc..)
8) Notwithstanding the length of the foregoing, I do not like to type. Ergo I'm not going to give you something akin to the Court's 400+ page ratio. I wish I had the time to go over the case point by point, but I've been off with the flu and I really do have to get back at it tomorrow. Suffice it to say that I'm leaning toward a theory of the case based on the idea that this crime began as a post-Halloween "rape prank" that ran amok under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
I think Amanda and Raffaele set out to "prank" Meredith and brought the big knife with them as a prop.
En route, they happened across Rudy and thought he'd add to the 'scare factor'.
Rudy was quick to agree because he was eager to please Amanda (per the testimony of the boys who lived in the cottage below, Rudy was, by all accounts, hot for Amanda in particular).
Amanda certainly knew Rudy well enough to ask him to join in a little post-Halloween prank on Meredith (per the evidence discussed above).
I think poor Meredith reacted violently to the prank, in a small space filled with 3 "pranksters", all of whom were not only high on drugs but brandishing knives. As a result, she was seriously injured and screamed out.
The intoxicated pranksters panicked when they saw the damage they'd done to Meredith. Her screams would bring the police - They ended her screams.
The 'conspiracy' was formed in an instant.
It was self-preservation. It's been self-preservation ever since.
This theory accounts for, inter alia:
-the transport of the big, bad, shiny knife from Sollecito's place;
-the fact none of the 3 accused had a history of physical violence; &
-the fact that none of them appear to have had a motive for murder (until the victim had been harmed grievously in the course of the prank and started to scream, that is).
This theory is also a nice fit with what's known about the ages, personalities, interests, and (low) maturity levels of the 3 accused.
Note also that, in contrast to YOUR theory, Kevin, it doesn't involve ignoring the evidence adduced at trial (in particular the testimony of Amanda and Giorgio), or fantasies about what is shown in the autopsy video (which no one outside of the courtroom, including you, has seen).
Let the bashing commence, bearing in mind that's it’s merely my opinion and subject to change in the face of cogent, evidence-based argument offered in a civil manner.