The dishonest attempt to deflect the burden of proof is, as always, noted. (Burden of proof argument fallacy... "E" in JREF and all that.) I'm not the one making a claim here. I'm not a proponent of the silly notion that the Sun is powered by electricity or that solar flares and CMEs are electrical discharges, so it's clearly not my responsibility to support that position nor to defend any alternative explanations.
Interesting, notable, and somewhat telling, that for the past couple of pages, no matter how diligently some of us attempt to keep this discussion on topic, there has been a vigorous effort to
avoid actually supporting the crackpot electric Sun claim
which is the topic of this thread.
No, it's about this false statement you made:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6711945&postcount=1198
Are you ready to admit you were wrong yet? Until you do, you and
I can really only discuss the topic of denial, since that is the only thing left to discuss.
(Bolding mine.) The dishonest and persistent effort to derail the discussion and shift the burden of proof, as well as the habitual total lack of any relevant commentary is noted.
So it merits another mention...
For the record, I said that a solar flare *IS* an electrical discharge.
That's the claim. If it can't be supported quantitatively and objectively, the right thing to do is acknowledge failure. If it can be, the right thing to do is, well, to get down to the business of doing it.
And this has been ignored for quite some time now...
I personally prefer an *internal* energy source based on what I observe in solar satellite images. It acts more like a cathode than a "unipolar inductor" IMO. That isn't to say that *no* energy comes from an external source.
Where specifically did Birkeland, Alfvén, or Bruce describe the amount of electrical power internal to the Sun and the amount that comes from outside? How did they feel about nuclear fusion powering the Sun, and how did it fit that into their ideas that solar flares are caused by electrical discharges? Tell us how Birkeland felt about nuclear fusion being one of the two alleged power sources for the Sun and cite where he allegedly discussed it.