I have already started to quantify and explain some of the categories. It's not my fault you aren't paying attention.Michael just stop, you're making a fool of yourself the more you refuse to quantify your "predictions".
Acttually all you have done is give examples. You have never quantified your classificiaiton scheme.I have already started to quantify and explain some of the categories.
I have already started to quantify and explain some of the categories. It's not my fault you aren't paying attention.
No you have not. If you had a methodology for predicting the behavior of the sun you would present or publish it. You have, and I'm reasonably sure will, do neither.
Cancel that trip to Oslo.
(empahsis added)The "method" I'm using is pretty much the same "method" that NOAA uses to predict EM flares based on sunspot "classifications". Each "class" of filament has a specific likelihood of a full and partial eruption based on previously observed eruption percentages for that class.
The "method" I'm using is pretty much the same "method" that NOAA uses to predict EM flares based on sunspot "classifications". Each "class" of filament has a specific likelihood of a full and partial eruption based on previously observed eruption percentages for that class.
The following classification system applies to all dark filaments. It is composed of three basic observations related to each filament separated by a dash or "-" character.
The first set of letters essentially describe the length of the filament, small, medium or large. The codes are "SF,MF,LF", for small, medium and large filaments respectively.
The second letters/numbers describe the number of "active region connections", typically 0A,1A, or 2A.
The third classifications relates to the height and speed of the filament. The first letter denotes the height of the filament in relationship to the ionized coronal seen in iron ion wavelengths, typically 193A, and 211A. I'm essentially classifying them as "low" or "high" depending on whether the filament is at least 50 percent of the distance to the edge of the ionized corona.
The last letter designates the overall "speed" of the mass inside the filament. It's typically "slow" or "fast" depending on local conditions.
There are couple of other considerations I use related to "partial eruption" and sometimes "full eruption" potential, specifically and most importantly are "brightening" processes seen near active region connections.
There are three possible classes in the first category, small, medium and large, and three classifications for the second part, 0 active, 1 active and 2 active connections. There are two (currently used) speed classifications, slow and fast, and 2 basic height options, low and high. That classification system creates 36 possible classes (3*3*2*2) of dark filaments.
Do you have "some" idea now of how the classes are at least "set up", and how the basic classification system works? Do you understand now that I'm using the same basic technique used by NOAA to classify the items, and I am using percentage eruption percentages from the past to determine the likelihood of a future eruption, just as NOAA is doing with sunspot formation classifications?
(empahsis added)
At last you add your quotes correctly - you have no method so putting it in quotes is right!
What you have is a personal way of classifying filaments.
You have no idea whether this classification has any relationship with the likelihood of full or partial eruptions.
All you have is a guess that your impression from looking at images gives a likelihood .
The word "method", in quotes, has not been defined, but given the description of "method" provided below, it can most reasonably be described as "a way of guessing".
"Dark" is not a number.
Then all categorization techniques can be described exactly the same way.
36 is a number.
There's no point in discussing any other numbers until you accept the categorization process.
You are wrong. NOAA has a method as I have described to you before.Then NOAA has no "method" either, so putting it in quotes is still correct.![]()
That is not what I said.That part is not true. Even a *simplified* classification system like "oh look, a filament exists" would have *SOME* bearing on the likelihood of a flare from that filament!
Indeed it is. The only reference to the number 36 that I saw in any post on this page was to count the number of totally subjective, non-objective, non-quantitative, scientifically ambiguous and useless categories used to sort guesses.
There has been no scientifically legitimate categorization process offered.
Now we can move on to the claim that dark filament eruptions cause CMEs.
Except I've "predicted" them in real time you mean?You have no evidence that this scheme has any predictive power.
In other words, you don't want to have a discussion on this topic, you are only interesting in arguing.
Sort of like how you handwave at everything eh?
Why bother? "Mass? What mass? Read? Read what?"
Correct use of quotes yet again MM: "predicted" as in provided little or no evidence that you have correctly predicted any flares.Except I've "predicted" them in real time you mean?
The denial thing is getting really old at this point.
FYI: "it's likely to blow" is not a prediction. It is a guess.http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_4096_0304.jpg
FYI, a massive dark filament has formed in the southern hemisphere and it's rotating in our direction. It's currently visible at about the 7:45 position and would be classified LF-1A-HF. IMO it's likely to blow before it rotates from view.
roduct: 3-day Space Weather Predictions daypre.txt
:Issued: 2010 Dec 04 2200 UTC
#
:Whole_Disk_Flare_Prob:
Class_M 1 1 1
Class_X 1 1 1
Proton 1 1 1
#
# Region Flare Probabilities for 2010 Dec 05
# Region Class C M X P
:Reg_Prob: 2010 Dec 04
1130 5 0 0 0
1131 17 2 0 0