The general argument in the thread is going that TSA should not be able to remove some of your rights. As a counterargument it's perfectly correct to point out that in fact you do give up some of your rights when you enter private property - you can't carry firearms, for one. The logic is fine, as far as that goes.
It is not an argument that therefore any restriction or requirement that TSA wants to impose is therefore okay. It's an argument that restrictions are not ruled out.
I haven't argued that none of your rights can be taken away, nor have I claimed that you don't waive some other rights when you fly. I have however, seen
multiple people make statements such as "I don't have a problem with it because I don't want my plane flown into a building for Allah." or "You can't compare Nazism to this because they're fighting terrorism." Which offer the
stated goal as their reason for accepting the action, while
ignoring whether the action taken is reasonable and necessary. Forgive me, but that is pathetically ignorant.
I would be interested in the
actual valid discussion, about whether or not it is reasonable and justified to take disturbingly-detailed and easily-distributable naked images of people in order to prevent the threat of underwear-bombing...but we can't get there unless or until we climb out of this cesspool of bad logic.
Why? I don't tend to answer or argue with things I agree with.
As my last post points out, the TSA (and any private property owner) can infringe on some of your rights. They can't, of course, infringe on all of them. I have no idea what case law says about making you praise Jesus, but I'm pretty darn sure that you can't be locked in a closet and turned into a slave, even if there is a nice little plaque on the door declaring that is exactly what will happen. 'Cause slavery is illegal, praising Jesus is not, my IANAL mind suggests. But I can surely keep you from carrying a weapon into my place of business, no matter what the constitution says about bearing arms.
Certainly, I just want to be clear that the issue is whether or not the actions taken are reasonable and necessary for the goal. Not that certain rights can and have been taken away in certain situations.
So, things have changed. Maybe your employer will decide to spend your travel budget to hire qualified people in those remote data centers. Maybe he'll trade time for money and let you travel by cruise ship and car. Maybe he'll start substituting communication for travel. Maybe he'll hire someone who doesn't mind the new rules.
I don't want to satisfy the job requirements for soldier, stunt man, fireman, or policeman, so the people who do those jobs are people who don't mind doing the things those jobs require.
Yet another post that totally misses the point...simply
declaring, with no justification whatsoever, that "things have changed" and then asserting the consequences...while being apparently unaware that the whole point of this discussion is whether "things have changed" such that something like this is justified.