• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged The Royal Society of Medicine and Chiropractic

Asolepius

Graduate Poster
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
1,150
The RSM has another nice little earner, its Wall of Honour. The deal is, anyone can put anyone else on the Wall, for a fee of GBP2,500. Ker-ching. Hence the appearance of John McTimoney. Mine was the first comment on this entry, which said:
This is astounding. Chiropractic is neither science nor medicine, it is a belief system based on imaginary ideas about how the body works. This entry dishonours both the Society and the genuine people listed here.
That was on 28th October, and it has just been taken down. So here is a suggestion. Let's see how quickly the RSM will take down further adverse comments. Please keep them polite but to the point. Nevertheless, the RSM of course reserves the right to remove anything it damn well likes - or doesn't like.
 
Nice one Wudang. Someone will probably react and say that it does work for back pain, which is true, but no better than standard treatment (exercise and analgesics).
 
(From Royal Society of Medicine 'Wall of honour' Webpage.) "We are delighted to announce that thanks to our Wall of Honour donors, we have now raised over half a million pounds in support of the RSM's provision of medical education. The exact figure is £513,386!"
http://www.rsm.ac.uk/wallofhonour/

Well, it's their wall and if most of the money raised actually is going to medical education,so far as I'm concerned they can honour Harold Shipman on it. Perhaps they might include a History of Medicine course.

Why not get together , find the cash and propose Ben Goldacre?
 
Last edited:
http://www.rsm.ac.uk/wallofhonour/

Well, it's their wall and if most of the money raised actually is going to medical education,so far as I'm concerned they can honour Harold Shipman on it. Perhaps they might include a History of Medicine course.

Why not get together , find the cash and propose Ben Goldacre?
I rarely disagree with you Soapy, but this time I do. Firstly, the RSM isn't fussy about how it spends money on `education'. Secondly, by its very nature this wall is intended to enhance the reputations of those `honoured'. OK, people can argue till the cows come home about who deserves it, but I do consider it inappropriate to lend credibility to a practice for which evidence has been thoroughly discredited, and especially recently. If the RSM wants to honour controversial figures, then fine, but they should then be prepared to put up with the controversy and not sanitise the discussion.
 
I rarely disagree with you Soapy, but this time I do.
OK. I send da boys round.;)
Seems not, if that's typical. I do feel a sneaking sympathy with David Misselbrook's reply though. I have the feeling he's between a rock and a hard place. Still, excrement tends to adhere. If you want to smell clean, it's surely wisest to avoid it altogether- and I agree it's hard to see what this symposium could have been intended to achieve, unless it was to provide doctors with the sort of info they might get more cheaply right here.
Secondly, by its very nature this wall is intended to enhance the reputations of those `honoured'. OK, people can argue till the cows come home about who deserves it, but I do consider it inappropriate to lend credibility to a practice for which evidence has been thoroughly discredited, and especially recently. If the RSM wants to honour controversial figures, then fine, but they should then be prepared to put up with the controversy and not sanitise the discussion.
Realising I know very little about what it actually is and does, I just looked at the RSM's homepage. http://www.rsm.ac.uk/welcom/index.php

A quote from the above linked page:-
"The Royal Society of Medicine is an independent, apolitical organisation, founded over 200 years ago. We are one of the largest providers of continuing medical education in the UK."
And from the "RSM Events" page.
"The RSM events team organises more than 400 medical CPD conferences, courses and meetings each year. All appropriate events have CPD accreditation and can form part of your medical education.
Contributions are received for unrestricted medical educational purposes for a number of RSM meetings. The RSM maintains full editorial control of the meeting content."
So by "medical education" it seems to mean informing already qualified doctors, rather than (as I had supposed) teaching the basics to students. That being so, I'd expect some at least of their symposia to cover controversial, but relevant topics. It seems reasonable for doctors to get the same sort of information about SCAM from the RSM that the rest of us get from sceptical blogs and websites. Of course "reasonable" depends on what exactly is being said at such symposia.

Re the "Wall"- It would seem to undercut any value (except the pecuniary!) such a memorial might have, if known eejits featured there . That seems to be the best argument aimed at keeping it sane- and seems to be pretty much the one (albeit more elegantly phrased) that you used.
My own feeling is that such vanity memorials would be something of a joke anyway, if anyone could get his own name up there merely by handing over the cash (directly or via surrogates). I'm pleased to learn that objections actually are considered. I wonder though, whether an increased donation might yet carry the day?

As I'm far less familiar than yourself with the RSM, you will appreciate that to me, what someone pays to put on a wall in a building I'm unlikely to ever enter, must be of limited concern. (Indeed, had you not told us about this, I doubt I should ever have been aware of it). And if this is in effect a private body, I must hold to my view that what they write on their wall, whether in the "magnificient atrium", or the gents' toilet, is up to them. If it was a publicly owned organisation, my response would be different.

It will either become a serious memorial to serious people, or it will become a sad joke. I hope they will have the integrity to take the first route. If not, perhaps we should indeed propose Crippen, Shipman or - for a different reason- Goldacre. I'm uncertain which would annoy them more.
 
Well yes Soapy, it's a private organisation, but it chooses to be public by putting the Wall on its website, and it invites comments. It then denies free speech by deleting adverse comments. As I said, absolutely fine to be controversial, but not fine to expunge dissenting voices. They have to take the rough with the smooth.

This is extremely typical of the anti-science movement I'm afraid. Look at the blogs and other fora. Skeptical bloggers usually engage with dissenters and leave their posts unchanged, woo-woo bloggers always ban anyone who challenges them.
 
Well yes Soapy, it's a private organisation, but it chooses to be public by putting the Wall on its website, and it invites comments. It then denies free speech by deleting adverse comments. As I said, absolutely fine to be controversial, but not fine to expunge dissenting voices. They have to take the rough with the smooth.
Aye, the website bit I could do without.
This is extremely typical of the anti-science movement I'm afraid. Look at the blogs and other fora. Skeptical bloggers usually engage with dissenters and leave their posts unchanged, woo-woo bloggers always ban anyone who challenges them.
That's often so in my experience. But do you truly consider the RSM "anti-science"? I accept they do some questionable stuff, but is that the norm in your view? (This is a frank and honest question. I really know little or nothing of them at all. Had you asked me yesterday what "RSM" stood for , my reply would have been "Regimental Sergeant major". )

I suppose that's why I feel this is a wee bit of a storm in a teacup - because I barely knew who or what the RSM was. If I were a member, I expect I'd be pretty vehement about not having quacks on the wall. (Remember those triplets of ceramic ducks without which no suburban home was complete in the 1950s? Somehow they come to mind).
Apart from a very few egregious crazies, I simply wouldn't know who was who on their wall anyway. I doubt many people would. Nor, I suspect, would most non medics care - and (one hopes) the medics will know the difference .
I don't know how you feel, but I actually find the whole business a tad tawdry and distasteful. Any "honour" one may buy for £2500 seems like a pale and paltry honour indeed. But some people do take such "Honours" a great deal more seriously than I.

I recently visited the National Memorial Arboretum and looked at the long list of names of military casualties there. No amount of money gets one's name on that wall. If being honourable costs the same as an upmarket mountain bike, I think I'd prefer the bike.

Anyway, while we may differ on how seriously we view this, by all means, should you need substitute objectors, feel free to add me to the list. I can complain as politely as anyone.

I do rather like the thought of seeing Goldacre up there.:D
 
But do you truly consider the RSM "anti-science"? I accept they do some questionable stuff, but is that the norm in your view?
No I don't. Most RSM stuff is fine, but they have been infiltrated by the usual suspects. Much the same happened to the Royal College of Physicians, until the President was alerted to what was going on, resulting in its Integrated Health Committee being disbanded. Of course, that has risen again as The College of Medicine (merged with the dregs of the Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health). What irks me is a respected learned society stooping to the tactics of the snake oil salesmen. They should know better.
 
Comment added.

I presume there are many members of the RSM who will feel that their wall should be reserved for genuine contributors to medicine and that chiropractic is not in that category.
As one who has actually defended chiropractic treatment (for a specific range of problems) on this forum, my objection is only partly to Mr.Mctimoney's methods which may well be useful in specific cases, but to the whole idea of selling "honour", which I find cynical and distasteful.
From the POV of the RSM, this also seems a bad time to be linking themselves to the plaintiffs in the recent Singh case which seems likely to result in major change to English libel law.
 
Last edited:
I duplicated your message, and added a line
This is astounding. Chiropractic is neither science nor medicine, it is a belief system based on imaginary ideas about how the body works. This entry dishonours both the Society and the genuine people listed here. How far does GBP2,500 go that you will sell your reputation for it?
 
UK Royal Society of Medicine "honours" chiroquacktor, John McTimoney

Appallingly, the UK Royal Society of Medicine's 'Wall of Honour' now features the founder of the McTimoney variety of chiropractic, John McTimoney:
Members, both current and former, the Chair and Executive Committee, together with friends of the McTimoney Chiropractic Association (MCA) honour John McTimoney.

John McTimoney ('Mac') developed the McTimoney method of chiropractic and was the driving force behind the founding of the McTimoney College of Chiropractic and the Association itself.

McTimoney chiropractic has helped millions of patients over the past 30 years and will continue to do so well into the future.

http://www.rsm.ac.uk/wallofhonour/share/?n=727


Not only is this an affront to scientific medicine, but just today the Royal Society saw fit to delete all the comments below the McTimoney bio protesting the addition to the wall. Fortunately, the comments can still be read here:
http://www.freezepage.com/1289472509LVIVAGRSRY

Althought the McTimoney Chiropractic website recently had a makeover and apparently no longer uses the word 'subluxation', it stands shoulder to shoulder with the new Alliance of UK Chiropractors (AUKC) which is attempting to retain the vitalistic model of chiropractic in the UK:
http://www.chiropracticlive.com/?p=842
 
Ah! All comments have gone now! http://www.rsm.ac.uk/wallofhonour/share/?n=727 and the following message put up:

Posted by P. Summerfield, Development Director, RSM | 11 November 2010 1:00 PM

The Royal Society of Medicine has been made aware of a number of comments made by RSM members and others, regarding the inclusion of John McTimony on the Wall of Honour.

In response to these comments the Society is reviewing the situation and will announce the result of the review on the RSM website by November 18th.

Anyone who wishes to express a view should email [email protected] .

In the meantime, all entries ( including a number of abusive comments) are being removed as stated on our website since the Wall of Honour website was launched.
 
I wonder which comments they think are 'abusive'?

ETA: I've asked them, but don't think I'll like the reply!
 
Last edited:
Well, there's abuse and there's criticism. One hopes they can tell the difference.

Is this normal behaviour among "learned societies", to sell "honours" of this sort for money?




http://www.chiropracticlive.com/?p=842
Interesting website. "Resisting the medicalisation of chiropractic"? Whose side are they on again?

And I like the 3 chimps picture of the GCC. Seems all is not cosy back at the ranch.
The comments are intriguing. Seems they have given their European colleagues the impression Chiro is under tyrannical threat in the UK and the small band of brothers is willing to go to the stake for their principles.
 
Last edited:
Not as far as I know - it's just the RSM that have a penchant for it as a way of raising money.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom