• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Linux TV-Tuners

daenku32

Master Poster
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
2,189
Well, it looks like Linux is great for TV tuner cards, especially if it's a digital signal.

But...can the Comcast Set-top box give out a digital signal?

Anyone know? I did their online support chat thingy, and good a positive answer. But I'm not entirely sure if they really meant digital signal or digital channels (on-demand etc).

Set-top box model is DCH70. It's a "digital box", but I haven't found information on the output yet.
 
IIRC, all cable boxes are legally required to have the firewire out on the back. You should google over at the ubuntu forums for that model number. I'd bet you'll find some how-tos.
 
Well, it looks like Linux is great for TV tuner cards, especially if it's a digital signal.

But...can the Comcast Set-top box give out a digital signal?

Anyone know? I did their online support chat thingy, and good a positive answer. But I'm not entirely sure if they really meant digital signal or digital channels (on-demand etc).

Set-top box model is DCH70. It's a "digital box", but I haven't found information on the output yet.

The Motorola DCH70 digital converter looks to only have analog outputs. But, you may be able to simply run the cable straight to the tuner card in your PC, as many channels are commonly not encrypted. Premium channels might not be viewable, though.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom