leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 13, 2007
- Messages
- 18,863
I only offered my opinion that enemy combatants should be treated as POW's.
Fine, if they are captured in combat. If some warlord turns in a rival, we need some evidence that he is actually a bad guy. Torture does not produce evidence of any value, so why are we holding them if all we have is torrtured confessions?
And how would those criteria apply to people who were rounded up in raids and offered no resistance?
As long as you have evidence that only the bad guys were rounded up, they are POWs. If there is no clear narrative, you have no grounds to hold them at all without solid evidence.
No, I mean enemies, in uniform or not. Should enemies get special treatment if they are not wearing uniforms? Do your vaunted standards vary according to number of enemy and their dress code?
The fact that they are fighting in a society in which there is no uniform is as valid as having a uniform to qualify for POW status.
POW's do not get lawyers unless they are charged with a crime. They typically are not charged with crimes. They are simply held until the end of hostilities. Basically, all I've advocated in this thread is that enemies should not be brought to trial, but should simply be held as POW's. At the end of hostilities, those deemed guilty of war crimes could be tried, just as at the end of WWII.
And if they were not taken in combat or arrested on firm evidence that they are enemies, they should not be held at all.
Well, I don't trust lawyers more than I trust the people who, by now, should be experts at rounding up, questioning, identifying, and classifying enemies. The only thing I would expect lawyers to do is cost a shipload of money and turn loose a lot more guilty ones than innocent ones.
The people doing the rounding up were trained by morons who have no freaking clue or conscience. It is a crime to hold those who were wrongly rounded up. End of that line of discussion.
Our enemies are not trying to defeat us militarily. They know they can't do that. They're just trying to be the straw that breaks our backs. I'm not interested in obliging them any more than is necessary.
Were you under the idiotic delusion that we can defeat them militarily?