Olowkow
Philosopher
- Joined
- Oct 29, 2007
- Messages
- 8,230
Well, lexical borrowing and particular "loanwords" have more to do with the dominating cultural factors than anything else. Computer terms, for instance often don't lend themselves to any good translations, so the word is borrowed and modified from the culture/language of origin.
I still would love to know in what way English is more "complex" than Spanish, or French, or Swahili.
ETA: I can't help myself.
"Cigarette" is "cigarillo/cigarro" in Spanish. One of my favorite words is "desperado", which is not the Spanish word. The word in Spanish is "desesperado" (des+esperar+ado) [hopeless one]. I have no idea where "hoosegow" comes from. I will try to find it.
Of course: [hoosegow] juzgao...juzgado "judged" Never knew that!
I still would love to know in what way English is more "complex" than Spanish, or French, or Swahili.
ETA: I can't help myself.
Of course: [hoosegow] juzgao...juzgado "judged" Never knew that!
Last edited: