• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there an "atheist perspective"?

They are not theists; they do not believe in gods or supreme spirits. You understand their spirit-belief as equivalent to a god belief, but it seems (from the book, which is well worth reading) that their belief in spirits is more that everything has a soul. They don't worship or venerate the spirits in which they do believe.

If you redefine gods to include the disembodied souls of clouds and trees, then they would be theists. But if you start redefining everything as gods, then you are re-categorising people into the wrong boxes in order to fit your prior conclusion. Some might suggest that this is not the first time this has happened on this thread.
It sounds as if they might be animists. I would not agree that animists are theists.


With a little more sophistication (when they acquire more language distinctions and more culture) Xigagaí will be a full deity, by our standards.

That is the most elitist, patronizing, and discriminatory comment I have yet seen in this thread.

Why? I don't get it. I specifically used the terms sophistication because algebra is more sophisticated that arithmetic, English has many more words than Spanish, thus richer in amount and with more distinctions, and the Mexican culture is bigger than the Pirahã. These are all factual observations, they are quantitative descriptions, not qualitative. Nothing elitist, patronizing or discriminatory about them.
a. How do you know how many words the Pirahā language has? Furthermore, regardless of how large or limited their native vocabulary may be, many "primitive" peoples have languages of great richness and subtlety. The fact that they don't discuss the concepts you believe are important does not make them unsophisticated.

b. Even though English has a larger vocabulary than Spanish, there are words in Spanish with subtle connotations that cannot be exactly expressed by a counterpart English word. From the part of the U.S. I live in, for example, there are compadre and comadre - more than friend, even more than long-time friend, yet other (though not necessarily less) than family. Or quinceañera - much, much more than "15th birthday party," and more than "debut," which is how it's often translated where I live. Or the padrinos, a word which literally means "godparents," I believe, but in the context of the quinceañera, means more than that. The number of words has nothing to do with the expressiveness of a language. (I see from Wikipedia that Pirahā men can communicate by whistling their language, which I bet you can't do with your native language. I know that I can't whistle English.)

c. Algebra is not necessarily more sophisticated than arithmetic, in my mind - it simply serves a different purpose. Arithmetic works perfectly fine to do what arithmetic is supposed to do. It would be stupid to try to solve a quadratic equation if what you wanted to do was balance your checkbook. Similarly, I bet the Pirahā language is excellently suited for describing and dealing with the Pirahā world.

d. "A," "b" and "c" above are the main reasons I would cite if asked why your remark was condescending, elitist and discriminatory.
 
a. How do you know how many words the Pirahā language has? Furthermore, regardless of how large or limited their native vocabulary may be, many "primitive" peoples have languages of great richness and subtlety. The fact that they don't discuss the concepts you believe are important does not make them unsophisticated.

The way I used the word sophisticated was very straight forward, as an synonym of complex. If you want to argue that the Piraha language is as complex as English, go right ahead. But I can confidently argue it's more complex, and I don't consider it condescending, elitist and discriminatory.

b. Even though English has a larger vocabulary than Spanish, there are words in Spanish with subtle connotations that cannot be exactly expressed by a counterpart English word. From the part of the U.S. I live in, for example, there are compadre and comadre - more than friend, even more than long-time friend, yet other (though not necessarily less) than family. Or quinceañera - much, much more than "15th birthday party," and more than "debut," which is how it's often translated where I live. Or the padrinos, a word which literally means "godparents," I believe, but in the context of the quinceañera, means more than that. The number of words has nothing to do with the expressiveness of a language. (I see from Wikipedia that Pirahā men can communicate by whistling their language, which I bet you can't do with your native language. I know that I can't whistle English.)

As many subtle connotations that cannot be exactly expressed by a counterpart English word, is true for Spanish in relation to English and then some (that some is the many more words you have in English). I think English is more complex than Spanish and we can argue back and forth about that. And I don't consider it condescending, elitist and discriminatory. So what if a language is more sophisticated than the next? So what if the US Basketball team is better than the Salvadoran team? So what if the Mexican culture is richer than our Salvadorean?

c. Algebra is not necessarily more sophisticated than arithmetic, in my mind - it simply serves a different purpose. Arithmetic works perfectly fine to do what arithmetic is supposed to do. It would be stupid to try to solve a quadratic equation if what you wanted to do was balance your checkbook. Similarly, I bet the Pirahā language is excellently suited for describing and dealing with the Pirahā world.

Here you're simply wrong. You can't do Algebra if you don't know Arithmetic. Classical music is more sophisticated that Baroque music or Salvadorean Folk Music.

d. "A," "b" and "c" above are the main reasons I would cite if asked why your remark was condescending, elitist and discriminatory.

And you would be wrong on all three. And I will give one more reason why you are wrong. You have to consider intent. This remark was not intented to be condescending, elitist and discriminatory and they were not condescending, elitist and discriminatory. The important "intent" to consider is the ad hominem within.
 
Say what? :eek: They'll come to theism when they get a bit of education and learn some Western values? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I infer from this that you feel they are only unbelievers because they haven't received the 'Good News'.

ETA Or, what Hokulele said. My typing is slow.

That is the most elitist, patronizing, and discriminatory comment I have yet seen in this thread.

I'd just like to mention that that isn't at all how I read Christian's remark. I can see how it might be interpreted that way, but I wouldn't assume that was the correct interpretation. Especially given that English is not his first language.

"Sophisticated" and "richer" are not objective terms when it comes to things such as language and culture. They certainly imply a value judgement.

They do imply that one is quantitatively bigger. I think a "sophisticated" and "richer" language has a lot more words and is able to convey subtleties and complexities that a simpler one cannot. There is a connotation of superiority though, so I think the charge of an implicit value judgment is accurate.

It sounds as if they might be animists. I would not agree that animists are theists.

Are they atheists? By the definition that Christian would like to use?

c. Algebra is not necessarily more sophisticated than arithmetic, in my mind - it simply serves a different purpose. Arithmetic works perfectly fine to do what arithmetic is supposed to do. It would be stupid to try to solve a quadratic equation if what you wanted to do was balance your checkbook.

Sorry, but I can't less this pass! Algebra is more sophisticated than arithmetic (except for number theory, but that isn't what you meant). Arithmetic can be equally as beautiful and useful as algebra. But I can think of no meaning or measure of the word sophisticated that doesn't rate algebra higher than arithmetic.
 
Sorry, but I can't less this pass! Algebra is more sophisticated than arithmetic (except for number theory, but that isn't what you meant). Arithmetic can be equally as beautiful and useful as algebra. But I can think of no meaning or measure of the word sophisticated that doesn't rate algebra higher than arithmetic.

I wanted to use only quantitative descriptions to make my point. I thought I had been careful enough. I think no wording would have been safe enough, considering the idea I wanted to convey. I had no intention of conveying superiority in any way. But, I understand I have to be more than extra careful in my wording, do the the level of scrutiny.
 
Now, this is the type of discussion that goes to the heart of the matter. My definition of atheism only requires that at some point the question was asked and a decision was made. That is called explicit atheism. That is the only requirement for the survey. And it should be an obvious requirement (you have to check the atheist box). That you want to include implicit atheists in the survey for it to be valid makes no sense.

Right. Cause in your survey you want to know if there is a brain difference in a person to explicitly chooses atheist. A brain function occurs, and checks the box. It must be explicit if there is going to be any type of brain function difference. Even if you accept that there can be an implicit atheist it won't add anything to your survey. It just won't.

Except that it will. Atheism can be a choice via denying a deity but it is a label. You can not believe in atheism, it just is. So if you do a survey based on your definition of atheist, when the survey is released it is then everyone else's definition of atheist. You can even put your definition in bold at the beginning of the study and it would not matter. Now, based on only a fraction of the population of atheists, you might have a claim that others would stamp on to the foreheads of every other atheist.

If then you are not willing to include both explicit and implicit as your definition of atheist, then you have to stop using that word. Instead you would say "Is there a common trait that correlates to different brain functions, found in people who choose to deny deities." That is more specific, since using the term 'atheist' is far too broad.

In addition I will say that not all 'truths' are for the greater good, and thus offended people can not be neglected. This especially holds if there is no truth to be found. You linked a study based off of black woman's health. That is not the same as your study of 'atheists' brain function. The difference being this study focuses specifically on the potential that atheists are different from everyone else. Being different is something that others have strived for centuries to get rid of because of the hate it brings. Yet this study trys to open that label back onto atheists.

If it was found that we had different brain functions, our credibility would be questioned, as well as our choices, reasoning skills and more. You have to understand this isn't just a can of worms it would open cause of your curiosity, it would be a mother fracking shitaki mushroom storm.

Even apart from the difficulties others have with some of you terms and wording you use, this is a major flaw in the study design itself.
 
Right. Cause in your survey you want to know if there is a brain difference in a person to explicitly chooses atheist. A brain function occurs, and checks the box. It must be explicit if there is going to be any type of brain function difference. Even if you accept that there can be an implicit atheist it won't add anything to your survey. It just won't.

Except that it will. Atheism can be a choice via denying a deity but it is a label. You can not believe in atheism, it just is. So if you do a survey based on your definition of atheist, when the survey is released it is then everyone else's definition of atheist. You can even put your definition in bold at the beginning of the study and it would not matter. Now, based on only a fraction of the population of atheists, you might have a claim that others would stamp on to the foreheads of every other atheist.

If then you are not willing to include both explicit and implicit as your definition of atheist, then you have to stop using that word. Instead you would say "Is there a common trait that correlates to different brain functions, found in people who choose to deny deities." That is more specific, since using the term 'atheist' is far too broad.

In addition I will say that not all 'truths' are for the greater good, and thus offended people can not be neglected. This especially holds if there is no truth to be found. You linked a study based off of black woman's health. That is not the same as your study of 'atheists' brain function. The difference being this study focuses specifically on the potential that atheists are different from everyone else. Being different is something that others have strived for centuries to get rid of because of the hate it brings. Yet this study trys to open that label back onto atheists.

If it was found that we had different brain functions, our credibility would be questioned, as well as our choices, reasoning skills and more. You have to understand this isn't just a can of worms it would open cause of your curiosity, it would be a mother fracking shitaki mushroom storm.

Even apart from the difficulties others have with some of you terms and wording you use, this is a major flaw in the study design itself.

You read like such a good person. How can I argue with such a nice person. Ok, no survey ever, ever.
 
As many subtle connotations that cannot be exactly expressed by a counterpart English word, is true for Spanish in relation to English and then some (that some is the many more words you have in English). I think English is more complex than Spanish and we can argue back and forth about that. And I don't consider it condescending, elitist and discriminatory. So what if a language is more sophisticated than the next? So what if the US Basketball team is better than the Salvadoran team? So what if the Mexican culture is richer than our Salvadorean?

Are you saying that complexity in a language is related to the number of words?
 
Are you saying that complexity in a language is related to the number of words?

Not in absolute terms, obviously. I was just addressing the specific point you gave. Now, if you want to discuss why English is more complex than Spanish fine. In the case of English and Spanish is not only the number of words, English is more complex for many reasons. I should know. :)
 
Not in absolute terms, obviously. I was just addressing the specific point you gave. Now, if you want to discuss why English is more complex than Spanish fine. In the case of English and Spanish is not only the number of words, English is more complex for many reasons. I should know. :)

No, I can't leave this alone. Why is English more complex than Spanish?
 
The way I used the word sophisticated was very straight forward, as an synonym of complex. If you want to argue that the Piraha language is as complex as English, go right ahead. But I can confidently argue it's more complex, and I don't consider it condescending, elitist and discriminatory.
What has complexity to do with sophistication? Or usefulness? Or expressiveness?

Are you saying complication equals sophistication? So much for Mondrian's painting, then. So much for haiku. Sorry, guys, you're hicks from Hicksville.


As many subtle connotations that cannot be exactly expressed by a counterpart English word, is true for Spanish in relation to English and then some (that some is the many more words you have in English). I think English is more complex than Spanish and we can argue back and forth about that.
Sorry, but you're making my point for me. A language may be more or less "sophisticated" than another for different values of "sophisticated." I think Rubén Darío reads better in Spanish than English.


Here you're simply wrong. You can't do Algebra if you don't know Arithmetic. Classical music is more sophisticated that Baroque music or Salvadorean Folk Music.
:confused: Of course you can't do algebra without knowing arithmetic. So what? The point is that a tool/language/you name it can be considered sophisticated if it does well the job it was meant to do. Would you use a scalpel instead of a screwdriver to assemble a table, simply because you think surgery is some kind of higher-order occupation than carpentry (or do I mean cabinetry?)?

And by what measure do you say that classical music is more sophisticated than baroque music or Salvadorean folk music? First, in the case of baroque you're contradicting your own "complicated equals sophisticated" rule. I would argue that Bach is vastly more complicated and complex than Beethoven - more layering, more modulation, inversion and variation of themes.

I'm baffled about what to say to you about folk music. If you cannot appreciate the layering of experience, tradition, and the personal innovation of the individual performer that goes into folk music, there's no talking to you on the subject.


And I don't consider it condescending, elitist and discriminatory. So what if a language is more sophisticated than the next? So what if the US Basketball team is better than the Salvadoran team? So what if the Mexican culture is richer than our Salvadorean?
I'm well aware that you don't consider it condescending, elitist or discriminatory. The fact remains that at least three people have told you that it is.

In my opinion, your remark about Mexican culture and Salvadorean culture shows exactly where your confusion lies. There is no reasonable measure by which to say that Mexican or Salvadorean culture is "richer." A culture reflects and expresses the history and experiences of the people who live in it. That's it. One culture will be different than another because the experiences of the people who form the culture are different than the other people's experiences. That doesn't make one "richer" or "more sophisticated" than another.

Do you think Shakespeare's plays are more "sophisticated" than Hopi kachina ceremonies, simply because one was written down on purpose, and the other has grown out of the centuries of experience of the people who perform the ceremonies? I would say each has its own sophistication and expressiveness, and each does better what it was intended to do.

I think your basketball team analogy is flawed. A sporting event is quantitatively measured - points are scored, distances are jumped or run, etc. Even the more artistic endeavors such as gymnastics or figure skating involve scoring - you may not agree with how points are assessed by any one judge but points are assessed. At the end you add it up and the most points (or in the case of golf, the least points) or the highest jump or the quickest time wins. There's no way to "score" a culture or poem or musical composition (and I don't want to hear the inevitable puns about musical scores either.) Finally, nationalistic fervor during the Olympics notwithstanding (I admit to some personal failings in that area), it would be silly to argue that one country's culture was "richer" than another's because one country's skaters raced faster or performed more triple axels than the other's.


And you would be wrong on all three. And I will give one more reason why you are wrong. You have to consider intent. This remark was not intented to be condescending, elitist and discriminatory and they were not condescending, elitist and discriminatory. The important "intent" to consider is the ad hominem within.
I accept that you didn't mean to be condescending, elitist or discriminatory. That doesn't change the fact that your statement read exactly that way.

I have some of the same problem myself with thinking people shouldn't be hurt or angered or irritated with what I say because I didn't mean it that way. Let me give you an example - when I was a kid, one of my cousins received a Timex watch from her parents for her birthday. It was a pretty watch and she was very proud of it. I (for some reason I don't remember now) made the remark that it was a nice watch, but Timex watches weren't very expensive. I meant it as a factual statement that they simply didn't cost much money, but she took it as a criticism of her watch and her parents, and her feelings were hurt. My intent didn't keep her from thinking I was saying her parents were cheapskates and her watch a crummy gift.

The fact remains that the words you used carried the connotation that, were the Pirahā better educated or more civilized or more cultured or more sophisticated, they would agree with you.
 
Last edited:
All right, give me three reasons why English is more complex than Spanish.

1. In Spanish, one pronounces how it is written. In English, not always the case.(This is why I keep misspelling words, my memory fails me and I'm too lazy to first type them in Word, spell check and paste :)) That "not always the case" is huge.

2. In terms of technology much more advances come from English speaking countries than from Spanish.

3. English has become the language most spoken and disseminated in the world (both premises together for the true statament). This has the effect of adding more and more words, expressions, idioms to the language (among other things). The more of these added to the language, the more layers of complexity we get.

To me, complexity is a quantitative description. How is one way for me to measure complexity: the hours it takes an average person to learn the whatever. Using that measure I can say this is more complex than that. If you want to expose my ignorance or lack of sophistication :) in understanding academic matter, fine. I don't think I'm wrong in my appreciation. The criterium is useful to me in practical terms and I don't consider any of it to be condescending, elitist or discriminatory.
 
Last edited:
1. In Spanish, one pronounces how it is written. In English, not always the case.(This is why I keep misspelling words, my memory fails me and I'm too lazy to first type them in Word, spell check and paste :)) That "not always the case" is huge.

2. In terms of technology much more advances come from English speaking countries than from Spanish.

3. English has become the language most spoken and disseminated in the world (both premises together for the true statament). This has the effect of adding more and more words, expressions, idioms to the language (among other things). The more of these added to the language, the more layers of complexity we get.

To me, complexity is a quantitative description. How is one way for me to measure complexity: the hours it takes an average person to learn the whatever. Using that measure I can say this is more complex than that. If you want to expose my ignorance or lack of sophistication :) in understanding academic matter, fine. I don't think I'm wrong in my appreciation. The criterium is useful to me in practical terms and I don't consider any of it to be condescending, elitist or discriminatory.

You are not wrong, if all you are talking about is your own, subjective personal experience, and your own personal, subjective definition of complexity in a language (which I find lacking, by the way). Apart from that, you are wrong.

1. Pronunciation. This may certainly be true. English pronunciation is difficult. Swedish pronunciation even more so, according to many who try to learn it, since we have a few sounds that are not familiar to most foreign speakers.

2. I do not understand this point at all. How on earth does that make English more complex (according to your very subjective definition of the word)? The other way around surely - we use the English words in our own languages, that makes it easier for us to understand English, rather than the opposite.

3. Wrong. English is not the most sopken language in the world, as you put it. In fact, I think you will find that Spanish is number two, and English is number three, after Chinese. A language that is spoken by large nuumbers of people leave traces in other languages, rather than pick up new words of its own.

The fact that English has become a lingua franca means that it is often easier for people to pick it up, since it's familiar. Apart from that, languages are more or less difficult to learn, depending on your own native language. An Italian or a Portugese wouls naturally find Spanish much easier, and so on. To objectively measure that difficulty is impossible. To me, Spanish is far more difficult that English, since I find English grammar much less complex.

See, Christian? Subjective, and not at all a particularly rational opinion. You are only right from your own particular pov, not objectively.
 
Last edited:
To me, complexity is a quantitative description. How is one way for me to measure complexity: the hours it takes an average person to learn the whatever. Using that measure I can say this is more complex than that.

You are not allowing for natural aptitude for or interest in a subject. Math is very hard for me, but language is relatively easy. It takes me longer to comprehend elements of mathematics than of a language. That doesn't mean math is more complex than language, just more difficult for me. Other people - my brother, for example - comprehend math easily.

If you want to say then math is more complex for me, I suppose you can, but then you're making everything subjective, so you can't generalize about things.

1. Pronunciation. This may certainly be true. English pronunciation is difficult. Swedish pronunciation even more so, according to many who try to learn it, since we have a few sounds that are not familiar to most foreign speakers.
And I know many native English speakers who can not hear the difference between the Spanish "r" and "rr," and insist that they cannot pronounce the "rr."
 
What has complexity to do with sophistication? Or usefulness? Or expressiveness?

From the definition, complexity has to do with sophisticated. Or are now going to argue about the definition of sophisticated. From Websters:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophisticated?show=0&t=1287267703
Definition of SOPHISTICATED
deprived of native or original simplicity: as a : highly complicated or developed : complex <sophisticated electronic devices>

Are you saying complication equals sophistication?

Yes.

Sorry, but you're making my point for me. A language may be more or less "sophisticated" than another for different values of "sophisticated."

English is more sophisticated that what the Piraha speaks. That is just a fact. It is a measurable description.

I think Rubén Darío reads better in Spanish than English.

Sure, he wrote in Spanish. Shakespeare is more complex than Rubén Darío, and certainly more influential. The non repetion of words in Shakespeare's plays is legendary.

:confused: Of course you can't do algebra without knowing arithmetic. So what? The point is that a tool/language/you name it can be considered sophisticated if it does well the job it was meant to do. Would you use a scalpel instead of a screwdriver to assemble a table, simply because you think surgery is some kind of higher-order occupation than carpentry (or do I mean cabinetry?)?

You are just wrong and won't concede. And it's not hard to show you. In Spanish we say Arithmetic, the Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, etc. In English, the convention is not to say Arithmetic but Basic Math. All the Math curricula has this exact ascending scale, from native, more basic to more advanced. I can give you the order if you want it.

And by what measure do you say that classical music is more sophisticated than baroque music or Salvadorean folk music?

By the objective measure of complexity. What more is there? Have you seen the dance videos of the 80's (modern dance)? Have you seen the comtemporary dance videos? Dancing is more sophisticated now. Did you hear the first rap song? Comtemporary rap music is more sophisticated now than when it first started.

First, in the case of baroque you're contradicting your own "complicated equals sophisticated" rule. I would argue that Bach is vastly more complicated and complex than Beethoven - more layering, more modulation, inversion and variation of themes.

You can argue all you want and still you are wrong. Have you studied music composition? Music complexity comes from chord progression, harmony and instrumentation. To understand why classical music is more complex than baroque and why the romantic period is more complex than classical, you would need to understand the three elements I have presented.

I'm baffled about what to say to you about folk music. If you cannot appreciate the layering of experience, tradition, and the personal innovation of the individual performer that goes into folk music, there's no talking to you on the subject.

I can appreciate a simple melodic line, a I-IV-V-I progression, a simple tonal harmony and very little instrumentation. I've been hearing the same tunes for the longest. It sometimes evokes the most beautiful feelings, and I don't mind being objective and saying it is musically speaking, simple music.


I'm well aware that you don't consider it condescending, elitist or discriminatory. The fact remains that at least three people have told you that it is.

So what? It is not.

In my opinion, your remark about Mexican culture and Salvadorean culture shows exactly where your confusion lies. There is no reasonable measure by which to say that Mexican or Salvadorean culture is "richer."

My mind is going "you've got to be kidding". Do you know how many (see, I'm counting) native dishes we have in El Salvador? Do you know how many Mexican dishes there are? And that is just food. If I say US culture is richer than Salvadorean, would you object? I'm wondering you might (that is a thought). Have you seen the size of El Salvador compared to Mexico? Think that every province, state has it's own culture and customs. Now, combine all that and compare it to our country. Can you honestly tell me that there is no reasonable measure by which to determine which culture is richer?

A culture reflects and expresses the history and experiences of the people who live in it. That's it. One culture will be different than another because the experiences of the people who form the culture are different than the other people's experiences. That doesn't make one "richer" or "more sophisticated" than another.

If you are going to define richer in qualitative terms. I agree. If you are going to use richer in quantitative terms, you are wrong. Some cultures need volumes and volumes, others wont catch up vis-a-vis.

Do you think Shakespeare's plays are more "sophisticated" than Hopi kachina ceremonies, simply because one was written down on purpose, and the other has grown out of the centuries of experience of the people who perform the ceremonies? I would say each has its own sophistication and expressiveness, and each does better what it was intended to do.

I think the later Shakespeare plays are more sophisticated than the "Popol Vuh".

I think your basketball team analogy is flawed. A sporting event is quantitatively measured - points are scored, distances are jumped or run, etc. Even the more artistic endeavors such as gymnastics or figure skating involve scoring - you may not agree with how points are assessed by any one judge but points are assessed. At the end you add it up and the most points (or in the case of golf, the least points) or the highest jump or the quickest time wins.

Excellentm, so in sports and the like you see the quantitative clearly.

There's no way to "score" a culture or poem or musical composition (and I don't want to hear the inevitable puns about musical scores either.)

Sure there is. Just go ask a composition major at a music school. He or she will tell you how the composition teacher game them an F on a composition (or whatever grade was given)

Finally, nationalistic fervor during the Olympics notwithstanding (I admit to some personal failings in that area), it would be silly to argue that one country's culture was "richer" than another's because one country's skaters raced faster or performed more triple axels than the other's.

I would not say that. I would say that the soccer culture in Brasil is much richer than that of my country.

I accept that you didn't mean to be condescending, elitist or discriminatory. That doesn't change the fact that your statement read exactly that way.

And was not condescending, elitist or discriminatory.

I have some of the same problem myself with thinking people shouldn't be hurt or angered or irritated with what I say because I didn't mean it that way. Let me give you an example - when I was a kid, one of my cousins received a Timex watch from her parents for her birthday. It was a pretty watch and she was very proud of it. I (for some reason I don't remember now) made the remark that it was a nice watch, but Timex watches weren't very expensive. I meant it as a factual statement that they simply didn't cost much money, but she took it as a criticism of her watch and her parents, and her feelings were hurt. My intent didn't keep her from thinking I was saying her parents were cheapskates and her watch a crummy gift.

Good story. I would say you were not being empathic and were a little insensitive. You were not being condescending, elitist or discriminatory.

The fact remains that the words you used carried the connotation that, were the Pirahā better educated or more civilized or more cultured or more sophisticated, they would agree with you.

Wrong, my words carried the connotation that if we used their definitions and language, we would come to the conclusion they are theists as we define the term.
 
Last edited:
From the definition, complexity has to do with sophisticated. Or are now going to argue about the definition of sophisticated. From Websters:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophisticated?show=0&t=1287267703

I don't think you understood what I said about definitions. When you quote from a dictionary, you are trying to say that definition is "correct", so you are trying to "win" an argument about definitions. If you don't want to argue about definitions, don't try to quote from a dictionary.
 
I think it is another mistaken analogy on your part to say that the way people live their lives can be compared to iPods.

The point about my story was not that I was being condescending, elitist or discriminatory, but that the fact that I did not intend to hurt my cousin's feelings did not keep her from feeling hurt - my words had an effect that I never intended. Much like your "more sophisticated" remark.

But whatever - Mexican culture - because they have more states? - can kick your ass all over Central and South America, if you insist.





(Of course, the U.S. has fifty states, the District of Columbia, and fourteen territories to Mexico's piddling thirty-one states and the Distrito Federal, but a whole lot of the world seems to think our culture fairly materialistic and shallow. So what does that do to the "number of states" qualification?)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom