Good.
It was not an irrelevant question at all. You keep going on and on about how atheists use different mental processes than theists do,
This is absolutely false. I have never asserted this, ever. What's going on here, why are all these straw men being erect in such continuous way?
yet you won't talk at all about the mental processes you use to classify deities. Are they real or imaginary? How do you approach the task?
This is irrelevant to the thread. I can tell you how any theist would approach the task.
Why is an atheist's mental process different somehow?
It is the same mental process: It is called categorization. All humans categorize. The difference, by definition, is that atheist put deities in the "fiction" folder and most people, by your stastictics, (92%) put some deities in the "real" folder.
For most cultures, there is no looking at a list of various gods. They believe in the god or gods of their ancestors, and aren't able to see the same pattern that I can see. Yet you seem to think that your mental processes are common to all our human ancestors, who tend to believe in supernatural beings.
Straw man, straw man, straw man. All humans categorize. All humans categorize. Some categories are universal, some are not. Tha categories real and fiction are universal. This is not a controversial claim. It is common knowledge.
I think that most people tend to believe in whatever their parents teach them. For me, that meant atheism.
This is not true. Humans come to believe by many means and many times regardless what their parents teach me. Put this is side point.
Yet you seem to think that means my mentally processing is warped.
Where do you get these outrageous straw man. How can I think such a thing? Your mental processing, I conclude is the normal mental processing of any fully functioning brain.
I'm not the one who has to scan a list of fictional characters to see if somebody accidentally put my special friend on it, because even though nobody has ever met him, you know he's really really real.
I conclude that the theist mental process is the normal mental processing of any fully functioning brain.
Where have you predicted when in childhood I could categorize gods?
At 1, a normal brain fully grasps object permanence.
At 2-7, a normal brain does not yet graps conservation
At 7-11, a normal brain acquires the ability to classify. It is from 7 and on that a normal child can express atheism and understand how he ir she is categorizing.
I didn't have a separate category for them, because my parents told me that they belonged in a category I already understood: fictional characters. When did you learn how to categorize gods?
Don't remember when, but it must have been after 7.
What mental hoops did you have to learn to jump through in order to place them into two separate categories? Did you ever worry that maybe Zeus or Odin were real?
Whether you see it or not. There are two categories here, real and fictional.
So what? Obviously that's true. But most people have been rasied in families and in socieities, so we don't have 6 billion different supernatural belief systems. Most people believe whatever their parents tell them. Some convert away from the religious beliefs that were handed down from their families, but you don't want to look at all those people, just the weirdo atheists, no matter what they were raised to believe.
Straw man, straw man, straw man. Where did you get all this?
I'd also like to think that as societies become better educated that we can break away from our old-fashioned superstitions.
I would speculate like this. A brain with certain qualities that is injected with more education breaks away from superstitions. A brain without those qualities injected with more education, does not break away fromo superstitions.
If you read that statement carefully, you will see where I'm coming from. You will understand what I'm looking for.
I can't even imagine the contortions I would have to put my poor brain through to try to explain to space aliens that Zeus and Odin and Loki are imaginary, but Yahweh is real.
Maybe you can't imagine it because your brain sees that in a different way. Many brains see no inconsistencies in that construction. Doesn't that give you something to think about?
The explanation that people are stupid or ignorant does not satisfy me. It might be the correct answer (I hope not), but I want to explore the idea that the reason why people differ in this way has something to do with the makeup of our brains and not just education, intelligence, culture, etc.
Finally, how far in advance does somebody have to book an appointment, so that you can tell them whether they're atheists or theists? It seems that so many of us are walking around without a clue.
You are an atheist by my definition.