Your wanton use of that word suggests you don't understand the term.
I encourage you to read up on logical fallacies so that you can avoid them in the future.
Strawman.
A strawman is a substitute, often a re-framing of an opponent's argument, put up for the purpose of avoiding or obfuscating the actual argument.
You do it often.
Strawman.
But it is a different war. We aren't battling a centralized state with land to lose. We are battling a series of disconnected, decentralized loosely associated groups. It is a different war at an extremely fundamental level.
None of which means we need to give every captured enemy his very own ambulance chaser, to hold him, and squeeze him, and love him, and....and...well...you know.
What is that supposed to mean?.
That is an encapsulization of a complex issue. "What that is supposed to mean" is beyond the scope of this discussion, and well beyond the scope of my desire to humor your ridiculous, ludicrously persistent interrogation fantasy.
Winning requires the definition of win criteria.
Does it now. In that case, I suggest that you all surrender, and stop wasting your time and my time arguing with me. Because you obviously ain't got one of them definitions of win criteria. And if I had one, and laboriously offered it up, you would only turn your nose up at it. Because that is what you do. This is not a think-tank. This is a political argue-hole.
Hey, I have an idea. How about we define "surrender" as the "win criteria". Would that mean we win if we surrender?
Might as well. Because you people don't stand a chance. You're too busy arguing with me and fighting each other over politics to win a war. Even if you knew how.
And, just for your information, this is not a war college, and I am not your war instructor. And I have been able to surmise that, even if I were to try to school you, everything I might say would simply go in one ear and out the other. Exept the parts you think you can make strawmen out of.
For a traditional war, it usually means the seizing and stabilization of the enemy's home land or leaders. In a war on terror which lacks any home land or leader, these win criteria are meaningless.
So I ask again, How does one win a war on terror? What is the win criteria?.
Just what do you think you're doing? Do you imagine yourself as the prosecutor making the "neocon" sweat bullets with your relentless interrogation?
Go away. You bother me.
Actually, you just helped prove my point. You only say that it was a bright spot because it was the closest thing to a traditional war. We had land to seize and a leader to eject.
Until you can actually define what a win will look like, your statements on who or what can win the war are meaningless.
And until you can grasp the very simple fact that it is not my job to define the world to you, at the cost of a great deal of pro bono time and labor on my part, I will continue to embarrass you by pointing out the ludicrousness of your interrogation fantasy. You ain't interrogating nothing, boy. You're just playing silly little frack-frack games.
And where, precisely, did I say I was out to win any "war on terror"? It was you who tried to foist that desire off on me, so you would have a pretext to invoke your clever little bromides about what a win would look like.
Oh well. I'll humor you one more time. If you really want to know what I think a "win" in the "war on terror" would look like - it would look like we are not being significantly attacked by terrorists and are unlikely to be significantly attacked by terrorists in the future.
And of course, being an atheist, I would have approached the propaganda aspect of the "war on terror" differently. Since nearly all terrorists are muslims, I would first begin to relentlessly hammer the truth at them about the godless universe they live in. I would strive to disabuse them of the idiotic notion that there is an invisible sky-monkey up there who will reward them with mansions full of virgins for committing intentional, wanton mass murder. Taking away the source of their false courage should be Job 1. Force them to look into the Void for the first time in their lives, and they will collapse into a puddle of quivering jelly, terrified at the Truth they have glimpsed, unable to comprehend what it was they saw. Because they have no experience of the Void. They have spent their lives insuring that they have no clue that the Void even exists. The initial shock of pseudo-recognition would be too much for them. All their false courage would evaporate in an instant, under the harsh glare of the deadlights.
As for the current incarnation of the "war on terrorism" that you were so eager to pin on me: I have, in this forum, bluntly predicted utter defeat for NATO in Afghanistan, mainly because they're trying to fight a pussified little "war on terrorism" instead of the real war, which is primarily in Pakistan, which is the Taliban's and al Qaeda's base of supply and operations.
I'm not saying they should fight the real war - especially since winning a real war would be widely viewed across monkeyworld as a war crime. But if big, bad NATO is afraid to go there, then they need to just go away and leave the tribal jackasses alone. They're already hopelessly bogged down by a mere 15,000 Taliban. And I'm not seeing the Afghans getting off their asses. At this point, the Afghans look to me like a dead bust. Any further investment in them would be throwing good money after bad.
Unless someone has a plan to somehow get the Afghanis to step up to the plate as the Iraqis did, then they better just get out. With the understanding that, should another attack on our persons emanate from Afghanistan or Pakistan, there won't be enough left of them to scrape up after we're finished bombing them. Which would definitely include naping their poppy fields. Maybe they want some of that. But I would want to find out if they really do want some of that. At least now we've shown them we are capable of doing some serious bombing in the wake of a major terrorist attack.
We so horny. We bomb them long time. They know that now. We should take advantage of the fact that they know that now. Why should we care if Afghanistan stays in the dark ages, as long as they don't bother us? They either like it or don't have the guts to do anything about it. Either way, they're bad prospects.