• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there an "atheist perspective"?

How is different from my understanding?


Why don't you just pretend you're right and go on with your explanation? You're likely to learn a lot more that way, and a lot faster. Tell us that thing you're keeping a secret until you get the atheists to agree with your description of their positions (because you won't). It may be that you learn your original premise sucks, but you won't have to wait as long to find out.
 
That's a fair question.

The most important thing I have learn is that this forum group has this well establish consensus. Atheism is not a position, it is a default condition of humans. Indoctrination results in the disturbance of this natural condition. Education might lead to the return of the default condition.

This condition or state might be or not of importance, depending on the environment. Some, even weren't/aren't aware of this condition because it is of very little or no consequence.

Before I tell you what I think, please feel free to correct or corroborate my understand of this consensus.

I am from Spain, and in Spanish we use the word "atheist" ("ateo") with the meaning you've been using in this thread.

Years ago, when I first got in touch with the concept in an English speaking environment, I realized that the meaning is slightly different. In Spanish "ateo" is broadly accepted to mean "someone who denies the existence of God". Agnostic would be an intermediate answer, and theist the positive one. English speakers tend to see agnosticism more in its etimological sense, not merely as an intermediate stance between atheist and theist.

By the way, I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I doubt that anybody is saying that atheism is a default condition of humans. Human condition is much more complex than that, and it's obviously human condition what leads us to both answers, theism and atheism. What I think most people are trying to say is that atheism, as described above, is more like a clean slate compared to theism. Theism introduces an object. Atheism does not.
 
So, can you please tell me what you (the group) have said. How is it different from my understanding?

How is different from my understanding?
"What we've said" is in our posts. Read them. As for how it differs from your understanding, that's been explained. At length. Read those, too.

Further, just because one person said something does not mean it applies to the group. I haven't read the book Hoku mentioned, so I don't know if I agree with her or not on that point. Stop trying to pigeonhole "atheists" into one group with one "consensus". The only point in common is that we don't have a belief in a god.
 
By the way, I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I doubt that anybody is saying that atheism is a default condition of humans.
I did, actually. One cannot have a belief in something until one has an idea it exists. And if one cannot not have a belief one does not have a belief.

That you do not agree shows just how much "well-established consensus" there is here. :)
 
So, can you please tell me what you (the group) have said. How is it different from my understanding?



How is different from my understanding?

We understand and you don't. It's that simple. A number of atheists have tried to explain to you what a multiplicity of determining conditions can lead to someone saying, 'All this god stuff is not worth my time worrying about. '
Do you get it?
If not, I shall spend my valuable time over in the "Where's this place" thread.
 
Last edited:
I did, actually. One cannot have a belief in something until one has an idea it exists. And if one cannot not have a belief one does not have a belief.

That you do not agree shows just how much "well-established consensus" there is here. :)

Wait! Whether you like it or not, I want to agree with you! But if you don't think we're agreeing, I'll admit defeat and say that at we're disagreeing about whether we're agreeing or not.

I actually agree with what you say. I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I perceived some connotations in his message because he seemed to be implying some assumptions when he said that according to the consensus "indoctrination results in the disturbance of this natural condition".

And what I understood by natural condition was not merely the condition of a baby, but the condition of a human being. There I disagree (with you too, maybe). Human condition, in a broad sense, isn't necessarily theistic or atheistic.
 
As I said, Christian: you did suggest what might be seen as positive traits to associate with atheism: but while that might be more palatable than the characterisations sometimes seen in the united states (and maybe elsewhere, I don't know) it is still what someone called "othering". Now sometimes there are real differences between the average in a group, as you have said. But it not a perfect match, as you have also said. So it serves no useful practical purpose: and it has its dangers. That does not mean one should not research it, of course: but you will understand that people will resist any such stereotyping, for good reasons and for bad reasons: if they are a beleagured minority (as atheists seem to be in the US) then they will be naturally suspicious of your motives. Perhaps that is not obvious to you: again I do not know your circumstances.

I understand this.

But the fact is that you have proposed a definition and you are clinging to it for reasons I do not understand. Until we clear that up then you cannot begin to design your survey even if your motives are of the very highest.

I agree that unless we can come to a common definition, we have a problem.

So let us start with your sample: as has also been noted, if you cling to the definition you have proposed then you will exclude me and others on this thread even though we are atheists. I say again: I do not reject god. I honestly do not care if there is a god or not: and since I see nothing to suggest that there is I presume that there isn't. That makes me an atheist.

Let's pause here for a moment. You say you see no evidence to suggest that there are any sort of deities, you conclude that there are none. This is my definition of atheism. You are taking a position based on an mental process. You reject the idea of deities based on an structured analysis: nothing that I can perceive leads me to conclude there are deities.

I am not resistant to the muller lyer illusion: it affects me even though I know how it works. I am not resistant to any of the common optical illusions: they fool me just as they fool most people. I did not see the gorilla on the basketball court, either. This is the most obvious end of the perceptual problems which Piscivore referrred to. They are, so far as I know, universal. Our senses and our brains fool us all the time. I do not see that that is deniable, really. They fool us all in the same way, theists and atheists alike.

No, this is were we disagree. Some perceptual problems are not universal. Some people do notice the gorilla. But, this is not the key, how we perceive. What is more important is how we interpret what we perceive. We have a built in inference system. This is the system that enables the belief in deities. One way to define are mental processes is to think of them as a group of inference systems that turn on and off. This is why deities are conceived with qualities like people. All supernatural being are portrayed with minds. This seems universal. The brains (imagines) detects what this beings have done or are doing. It is this were I see interesting to explore and you show most forcefully. You explain that you feel none of this. Most people say they experience (feel) deities. It is their inference system firing information which they interpret incorrectly.

There are things which follow from these limitations: we can't have gaps in our visual field, even though they are really there: so we have evolved to not notice those gaps: our brains fill them in. Yours does and mine does. This is part of what brains do. We tell ourselves stories to explain what we perceive: that is the way we are made, IMO.

Yes, we tell ourselves stories and these stories, in most people sometimes involve the supernatural, entities based on how their brains operate.

Children do this: they don't have much experience and so they explain things using the experience they have: by making up stories which fit the facts they have. All children do this: all adults do it too. As we mature we understand more things and our stories get more sophisticated. They incorporate more facts as we learn more.

Can you explore the idea that most people are prone to explain something with these supernatural elements?

A child may see a shadow on the wall and become frightened because it looks like a distorted human shape to him: he has not seen many things, so his brain fits what he sees into one of the things he is familiar with. He has probably been told stories and they will also help to shape how he interprets what he sees: so in one culture he will see an ancestral ghost, perhaps: in another he may see an alien. But what he really sees is the shadow of his dressing gown:and no matter what he thinks he sees that is the reality. The real world dressing gown is turned into a manifestation of whatever his culture has led him to experience as possible furniture in the world.

Excellent. An argument can be made that there are some children that look at distorted shapes and are less prone to see a human shape or have a very clear understanding of what is imaginary and what is real, more than the general population.

Depending on how his culture (in this case generally his parents) respond to his frightened cry he will learn another way of interpreting what he sees: in the example I use they may tell him that yes, indeed he has seen his granny's spirit: but he is not to be frightened because his granny loves him: or they may tell him that there aren't any real aliens: those are just stories made up for his entertainment. In both cases I would hope his parents would move the dressing gown: but they will tell him a story to help him deal with his fear.

I would argue that most children who are told that those things aren't real don't believe it. This reminds of the story of why Disney had to include the magic dust so that Peter Pan could fly.

You have said that anecdote is no good for this discussion: but you do not even have anecdote so far. So how are you going to choose your sample? If it does not include me and Sun Countess and Agatha, because of your stipulative definition, then you may find out something: but it won't be something about the difference between atheists and theists: whatever else it may be

It would include you because you fit the definition very well.

I'm satisfied I have explained my hypothesis and am satisfied have understood the objections.
 
I am from Spain, and in Spanish we use the word "atheist" ("ateo") with the meaning you've been using in this thread.

Years ago, when I first got in touch with the concept in an English speaking environment, I realized that the meaning is slightly different. In Spanish "ateo" is broadly accepted to mean "someone who denies the existence of God". Agnostic would be an intermediate answer, and theist the positive one. English speakers tend to see agnosticism more in its etimological sense, not merely as an intermediate stance between atheist and theist.

By the way, I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I doubt that anybody is saying that atheism is a default condition of humans. Human condition is much more complex than that, and it's obviously human condition what leads us to both answers, theism and atheism. What I think most people are trying to say is that atheism, as described above, is more like a clean slate compared to theism. Theism introduces an object. Atheism does not.

According to posters here, a 2 year old by definition is an atheist and that all humans are born atheists.
 
Wait! Whether you like it or not, I want to agree with you! But if you don't think we're agreeing, I'll admit defeat and say that at we're disagreeing about whether we're agreeing or not.

I actually agree with what you say. I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I perceived some connotations in his message because he seemed to be implying some assumptions when he said that according to the consensus "indoctrination results in the disturbance of this natural condition".

And what I understood by natural condition was not merely the condition of a baby, but the condition of a human being. There I disagree (with you too, maybe). Human condition, in a broad sense, isn't necessarily theistic or atheistic.

Accorgind to posters here yes. Humans are born atheists.
 
We understand and you don't. It's that simple. A number of atheists have tried to explain to you what a multiplicity of determining conditions can lead to someone saying, 'All this god stuff is not worth my time worrying about. '
Do you get it?
If not, I shall spend my valuable time over in the "Where's this place" thread.

I get that you are making a judgment, an evaluation. You have structured a pros and cons analysis and come to the inequivocal conclusion that "all this god stuff is not worth my time worrying about". That is a profound philosophical statement. You too fit my defintion of an atheist, and very well.
 
Why don't you just pretend you're right and go on with your explanation? You're likely to learn a lot more that way, and a lot faster. Tell us that thing you're keeping a secret until you get the atheists to agree with your description of their positions (because you won't). It may be that you learn your original premise sucks, but you won't have to wait as long to find out.

I think I have found another common trait, atheist like erecting straw men. (My first official, in really bad taste joke.)
 
I understand this.
That's nice. What does it mean to you?

Let's pause here for a moment. You say you see no evidence to suggest that there are any sort of deities, you conclude that there are none. This is my definition of atheism. You are taking a position based on an mental process. You reject the idea of deities based on an structured analysis: nothing that I can perceive leads me to conclude there are deities.
She said she did not start out believeing in deities, was subsequently not taught to believe in deities, and only once she found out about them did she "engage in a mental process". You are ommiting everything but that which agrees with you.

No, this is were we disagree. Some perceptual problems are not universal. Some people do notice the gorilla.
How do you know what they "percieve"? No one else can. You can only know what they tell you they percieve, right?
 
She said she did not start out believeing in deities, was subsequently not taught to believe in deities, and only once she found out about them did she "engage in a mental process". You are ommiting everything but that which agrees with you.

That is totally irrelevant. Why are we arguing about the definition of atheism? Do you know?

We are doing it to select those individuals who would participate in a survey to determine how atheists think differently than the general population. How atheists may have differente traits. She fits perfectly into my definition for the purpose of the survey, and that is all I'm interested in, objetive criteria for a valid sample population.
 
Christian, how do you distinguish between a disbelieve in deities and a general disbelief in the supernatural?
 
According to posters here, a 2 year old by definition is an atheist and that all humans are born atheists.

Accorgind to posters here yes. Humans are born atheists.

Since I conventionally use this word with the meaning "someone who doesn't believe in God", I agree with the other posters.

I suggest you move on from here. There's no point getting stalled in semantics.

For example, you could accept the semantic consensus and go on with this concept of "atheist" or start with a different concept that suits the purpose of your thread.
 
Let's pause here for a moment. You say you see no evidence to suggest that there are any sort of deities, you conclude that there are none. This is my definition of atheism. You are taking a position based on an mental process. You reject the idea of deities based on an structured analysis: nothing that I can perceive leads me to conclude there are deities.

No, not really. I am beginning to think your signature is very apt. I think it possible you are not capable of understanding, I did not conclude there is no god from weighing the evidence: it was my default position and nothing has happened to make me change it.


No, this is were we disagree. Some perceptual problems are not universal. Some people do notice the gorilla. But, this is not the key, how we perceive. What is more important is how we interpret what we perceive. We have a built in inference system. This is the system that enables the belief in deities. One way to define are mental processes is to think of them as a group of inference systems that turn on and off. This is why deities are conceived with qualities like people. All supernatural being are portrayed with minds. This seems universal. The brains (imagines) detects what this beings have done or are doing. It is this were I see interesting to explore and you show most forcefully. You explain that you feel none of this. Most people say they experience (feel) deities. It is their inference system firing information which they interpret incorrectly.

I don't understand a word of that: I thought I had already shown how that comes about imo: I do not accept your account and so we may have to just differ about it. Most people where I live do not say they experience deities: most of them are atheists


Yes, we tell ourselves stories and these stories, in most people sometimes involve the supernatural, entities based on how their brains operate.

You really can't do that, Christian. You assert that in most people this sometimes involves the supernatural: maybe that is so: but you have shown precisely nothing is support of the tacked on assertion that it is based on how their brains operate. You just keep stating it and you have not given any reason at all why I should accept the statement. Instead of doing why not show your working ?

Can you explore the idea that most people are prone to explain something with these supernatural elements?


I don't think they are, so no, I can't

Excellent. An argument can be made that there are some children that look at distorted shapes and are less prone to see a human shape or have a very clear understanding of what is imaginary and what is real, more than the general population.

Do you know any?

I would argue that most children who are told that those things aren't real don't believe it. This reminds of the story of why Disney had to include the magic dust so that Peter Pan could fly.

They believe they aren't real once they get more facts. Or do you still believe in santa?

It would include you because you fit the definition very well.

No I don't: but you appear to be so wedded to your idea that you cannot understand what is being said to you

I'm satisfied I have explained my hypothesis and am satisfied have understood the objections.

I am not :)
 
That is totally irrelevant. Why are we arguing about the definition of atheism? Do you know?

We are doing it to select those individuals who would participate in a survey to determine how atheists think differently than the general population. How atheists may have differente traits. She fits perfectly into my definition for the purpose of the survey, and that is all I'm interested in, objetive criteria for a valid sample population.

But your criteria are not "objective", you've got a bias built in because your working definition of "atheist" isn't the one that atheists themselves use.

It would be like defining "apples" to be "red fruit", examining a bunch of apples, tossing anything that was green, and then concluding that apples are red.
 
Christian, how do you distinguish between a disbelieve in deities and a general disbelief in the supernatural?

Another valid question you ask.

It is my understanding that most supernatural elements are effected by supernatural entities. Humans think like this. The logic, in most cases, is a supernatural event occurs because there is a supernatural entity behind it. The inference system takes what it know from the natural world and uses the same parameters. This is why all deities have minds and these minds act like human minds.
 
Let's try this from another direction. Christian, the word "atheist" simply means "someone who doesn't believe in a god or gods." Why do you feel the need to add anything to this defintion?
 
Another valid question you ask.

It is my understanding that most supernatural elements are effected by supernatural entities. Humans think like this. The logic, in most cases, is a supernatural event occurs because there is a supernatural entity behind it. The inference system takes what it know from the natural world and uses the same parameters. This is why all deities have minds and these minds act like human minds.

I am very confused.

Are you saying a deity is a supernatural entity with a mind?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom