Okay, I was trying to follow "protocol" by furthering comments in the new forum you linked above, but it looks like we're continuing here.
Ummm.... if the poll is mainly populated by "Americans who know nothing about the case..." why was the poll created in that forum?
Sufficient standing according to whom? You think CL has sufficient standing in the matter? LOL! And so what. It still failed.
Ha! Yep, I do know. Didn't think it was productive to go down that rabbit hole. Hence I didn't post the link.
Yikes. I agree Americans can be loud mouthed and ignorant. However, think the same argument could be made for Scots and Brits. And have you forgotten that PA103 was mostly occupied by Americans who have been rightly outraged about the atrocity and the following events? I've seen many nasty, ignorant, loudmouthed comments (which seem to out number the Americans') by scots and brits who have zero involvement in this case. But we digress.....
Okay, I'l give ya the "couple of Libyans" How many of them are Megrahi's family? Friends? As for "this is a Scottish thing", wow. If that's so, how is it that Libyans have signed it? Do you think the entire world revolves around scotland on this issue? Do you think that Megrahi and his other supporters, the ugly Americans and the rest of the world are not capable of news, internet and other media? Do you doubt that Swire, Black, Megrahi's counsel and others close to him are keeping Megrahi and his family abreast of this? If I were Megrahi's kin, I would be doing everything I could, to fight for my father, brother, son, whatever he is to his family in order keep this in the front of the media and not let this die. That's what I did for my father. Guess what. We got an ivestigation, a trial, and we are still fighting. Yes, I have seen the points in objection on the former. Not the point here. Point is, why aren't Megrahi's family and friends fighting harder? I stood next to his wife in the ladies room at the trial. I wanted to catch her eye and give her a look of understanding that we're all in this together, and that I didn't blame her for whatever her husband did. She looked at her shoes then, and throughout the entire trial, when she wasn't watching what was happening beyond the glass in the court room. I'm sure she was counseled not to look at other family members, and I recognize cultural issues about not looking at others in the eye. Still....
Why not??? His daughter has stated in the media that she wants to study law as an inspiration by what her father has been through. And Megrahi himself published (or had published by others) a bleeding web site with all of his arguments. If he really wants to portray his innocence, why isn't he and/ or his family fighting as hard as all of the involved families are, much less folks like those here on JREF, Black's blog, those who comment in the media who aren't even involved in this case?
Well, I for one, would like to see more about the pubilc opinion at this stage in the game, as well as what influence if any, Swire's recent letters in the media have had and prior to the second appeal being dropped, I still wanted to see the alleged evidence that was to be presented by the defense. The American family members did not sit still and allow their government to simply "chuck the thing". I, along with my fellow family members lobbied our government. I wrote countless letters. I bent the ears of as many as I could find who might help move our case forward. I went to the UN. My family hired attorneys before any settlement money from Libya, taking that risk that if we lost, we would have to pay legal fees. Even after our case was thrown out of court on Foreign Soverein Immunities actions. Guess what. We continued fighting, and got that legislation ammended. And we got our day in court. Because we believed in what we were doing and persevered. I find it very sad.
I have a great deal of respect and warmth in my heart for the Scots who treated my mother and me with such warmth when we visited Lockerbie. They could have just as easily been resentful toward the Americans and their airliner who rained chaos, death and destruction on their small town. I was very fearful of this upon our arrival. But they weren't that way at all. They were beyond kind and supportive.
However, going forward other Scots and Brits who support Megrahi sit by and waste their time bitching on the internet as opposed to actually getting involved and doing something with and about their government.
So, again, it's doubtful, but we'll see if this petition proves anything.
Huh, a poll in this forum, which is mainly populated by Americans who know nothing about the case except what they hear on the US media!
Ummm.... if the poll is mainly populated by "Americans who know nothing about the case..." why was the poll created in that forum?
Er, I don't think you get that. That letter wasn't open for anyone to sign. It was only signed by people who were invited, as having sufficient standing in the matter. I see they even left out a couple of pushy nonentities who were trying to muscle in on it.
Sufficient standing according to whom? You think CL has sufficient standing in the matter? LOL! And so what. It still failed.
Well, if you don't post the links I can't comment. However, you know what I think of Charles.
Ha! Yep, I do know. Didn't think it was productive to go down that rabbit hole. Hence I didn't post the link.
Newspaper comments pages full of loudmouthed ignorant Americans. Gosh, what a lot of them there are!
Yikes. I agree Americans can be loud mouthed and ignorant. However, think the same argument could be made for Scots and Brits. And have you forgotten that PA103 was mostly occupied by Americans who have been rightly outraged about the atrocity and the following events? I've seen many nasty, ignorant, loudmouthed comments (which seem to out number the Americans') by scots and brits who have zero involvement in this case. But we digress.....
Well, you're wrong for a start, because I noticed a couple of Libyan names on the open letter. I see one already on this new petition. This is a Scottish thing though, it's only natural most signatories will be Scots.
Okay, I'l give ya the "couple of Libyans" How many of them are Megrahi's family? Friends? As for "this is a Scottish thing", wow. If that's so, how is it that Libyans have signed it? Do you think the entire world revolves around scotland on this issue? Do you think that Megrahi and his other supporters, the ugly Americans and the rest of the world are not capable of news, internet and other media? Do you doubt that Swire, Black, Megrahi's counsel and others close to him are keeping Megrahi and his family abreast of this? If I were Megrahi's kin, I would be doing everything I could, to fight for my father, brother, son, whatever he is to his family in order keep this in the front of the media and not let this die. That's what I did for my father. Guess what. We got an ivestigation, a trial, and we are still fighting. Yes, I have seen the points in objection on the former. Not the point here. Point is, why aren't Megrahi's family and friends fighting harder? I stood next to his wife in the ladies room at the trial. I wanted to catch her eye and give her a look of understanding that we're all in this together, and that I didn't blame her for whatever her husband did. She looked at her shoes then, and throughout the entire trial, when she wasn't watching what was happening beyond the glass in the court room. I'm sure she was counseled not to look at other family members, and I recognize cultural issues about not looking at others in the eye. Still....
As for Megrahi's family, do you really think that would be appropriate?
Why not??? His daughter has stated in the media that she wants to study law as an inspiration by what her father has been through. And Megrahi himself published (or had published by others) a bleeding web site with all of his arguments. If he really wants to portray his innocence, why isn't he and/ or his family fighting as hard as all of the involved families are, much less folks like those here on JREF, Black's blog, those who comment in the media who aren't even involved in this case?
Where will this go? Probably nowhere, because the committee is perfectly at liberty to chuck the thing in the bucket if it feels like it, and it probably will. However, that doesn't constitute proof Megrahi is gulty any more than the other peripheral irrelevancies that have been brought up.
Well, I for one, would like to see more about the pubilc opinion at this stage in the game, as well as what influence if any, Swire's recent letters in the media have had and prior to the second appeal being dropped, I still wanted to see the alleged evidence that was to be presented by the defense. The American family members did not sit still and allow their government to simply "chuck the thing". I, along with my fellow family members lobbied our government. I wrote countless letters. I bent the ears of as many as I could find who might help move our case forward. I went to the UN. My family hired attorneys before any settlement money from Libya, taking that risk that if we lost, we would have to pay legal fees. Even after our case was thrown out of court on Foreign Soverein Immunities actions. Guess what. We continued fighting, and got that legislation ammended. And we got our day in court. Because we believed in what we were doing and persevered. I find it very sad.
I have a great deal of respect and warmth in my heart for the Scots who treated my mother and me with such warmth when we visited Lockerbie. They could have just as easily been resentful toward the Americans and their airliner who rained chaos, death and destruction on their small town. I was very fearful of this upon our arrival. But they weren't that way at all. They were beyond kind and supportive.
However, going forward other Scots and Brits who support Megrahi sit by and waste their time bitching on the internet as opposed to actually getting involved and doing something with and about their government.
So, again, it's doubtful, but we'll see if this petition proves anything.
Last edited: