I searched for a similar title but can't find one.
For many years my favorites have been the Impressionists, particularly Monet, Renoir and Manet.
I have seen many of J M W Turner's paintings in London's National Gallery and found his paintings to be atmospheric and moving, and it's easy to see his influence on impressionism. But it was only after just watching an episode of Simon Sharma's "The Power of Art" on Turner that I saw another dimension of his work. He really challenged early 19th century English society with works like "Hannibal Crossing the Alps" and, particularly, "The Slave Ship", which was roundly ridiculed. He rose above the criticism to become one of the 19th century's great artists.
Turner's my number one (for the moment at least).
By the way, Sharma's series is well worth catching. I have learnt to appreciate styles of art I had not taken a lot of notice of, like the Abstract Expressionists.
So, favorite painters please.
For many years my favorites have been the Impressionists, particularly Monet, Renoir and Manet.
I have seen many of J M W Turner's paintings in London's National Gallery and found his paintings to be atmospheric and moving, and it's easy to see his influence on impressionism. But it was only after just watching an episode of Simon Sharma's "The Power of Art" on Turner that I saw another dimension of his work. He really challenged early 19th century English society with works like "Hannibal Crossing the Alps" and, particularly, "The Slave Ship", which was roundly ridiculed. He rose above the criticism to become one of the 19th century's great artists.
Turner's my number one (for the moment at least).
By the way, Sharma's series is well worth catching. I have learnt to appreciate styles of art I had not taken a lot of notice of, like the Abstract Expressionists.
So, favorite painters please.
