And yet you refuse to admit the study is rather abhorrent? Why?
Because it isn't abhorrent to discuss concerns that are raised, such as DU. I just think they could have done it some place other than the paper itself.
It could mean that DDT indeed causes cancer. Infinitely more likely, it means that DDT causes certain defects within a fetus, which make it more susceptible to cancer.
Before you start jumping up and down and screaming "birth defect", let me point out to you that this sort of novel birth defect would most likely go unnoticed, as the article speaks of otherwise healthy babies.
So DDT is linked to cancer and the other paper specifically links it to birth defects. You have nothing to support your claim other than ignoring the available data.
Data you seem to be ignorant of while acting like an authority.
In that case all I can say is that you should learn to read. I pointed out two less likely candidates earlier on: maternal nutrition and temperature at conception. The latter probably wasn't a factor, but it is conceivable that nutrition got worse in war-ravaged Fallujah. We are only talking about a small portion of population, after all. Such issues as sex-selective abortion are also possible, though implausible. Immigration due to fear of reprisals (male children being targeted more) is plausible. Exposure to certain hormone analogues is another possibility. Poor sampling data can't be excluded either.
So I should ignore your claims about pesticides, even though I have found data which indicates you are wrong? I don't think so. You yourself have said the above are less likely. And regarding maternal malnutrition... for how long would this have gone on in Fallujah without being reported?
here's a google result on malnutrition and sex ratio:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9825599
I can only get the abstract in this case:
abstract of above said:
The low male/female ratio at birth in African populations has been attributed to a variety of genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors. A low sex ratio at birth has been associated with maternal malnutrition in mammals, but this issue has not been studied in humans. In this study we analyzed the relation between maternal nutritional status and sex ratio at birth in 3282 children born to 684 women from a rural African society. Short maternal stature and obesity were independently related to a low sex ratio at birth. These results are consistent with animal experiments that indicate an adverse effect of maternal malnutrition on male fetuses. The results warrant further research in this area.
They study malnutrition by looking at women with short stature and obesity. If short stature is being used as a sign of malnutrtion, then over what period of time do you think the mother was malnourished?
Or do you have a source linking short-term adult/teenage malnutrition to a change in the sex ratio?
And I think it is entirely natural for me to focus on the causes you yourself prioritised as most likely. You do not seem to be an authority on pesticides and their effects. I suspect you are not an authority on malnutrition and its effects. But you are making claims without backing them up with data.
Come up with something concrete, like you did by naming DDT. And try googling it alongside cancer or birth defects -- just to save me some time. Otherwise, I'm going to assume you merely read the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio
And... speaking of malnutrition leading to a sex ratio change without effecting the rate of birth defects... could you please comment on the effects of, for instance, folic acid deficiency?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_tube_defects#Causes
Alternatively, just go on pretending you know what you're talking about and that your dismissal of the report is based on your sound knowledge of what causes sex ratio changes without causing cancer or birth defects. (Sound... except for the errors I seem to keep finding).