• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What should my first Droid app. do?

Wowbagger

The Infinitely Prolonged
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
15,667
Location
Westchester County, NY (when not in space)
I am usually quite capable of inspiring myself to do stuff in the field of software development, but in this case, for the first time ever, I figured I would mine some of you folks for ideas.

Over the past few days, I have re-familiarized myself with Java and Eclipse, and familiarized myself with the Android SDK, running a few tutorial-based apps, and such.

Now I am looking for ideas on what my first, official app. should do.

Ultimately, I would like to build a mobile version of logic puzzle construction set I was working on (currently .NET-based), but that is probably a little too cumbersome to get started with, right now. (Besides, I have yet to fully complete even the Windows version.)

The only small-scale app I could think of would be a "virtual face puncher". The idea stemmed from this discussion: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6151910#post6151910
Every now and then, you run into someone who almost deserves to be punched in the face, but you do NOT really want to literally punch them, because you abhor violence. This app, I am proposing, would allow you to take a photo of the person, and then simulate the act of punching them in the face, on the phone's touch screen, complete with sound effects, and perhaps simulated wounds.

But, frankly, I think I can probably contribute something more important to the world, than that! I just wish I could figure out what it would be...
 
I would like an app that will wash my car, and my iPhone won't do it. If you write the code, I'll help with the marketing. We'll make millions!
 
I would like an app that will wash my car, and my iPhone won't do it.
The nature of this app might require the development of hardware accessories. The vibrating mechanism might be too weak to make the phone "jump" in just the right way to do any scrubbing.

We might be better off building a LEGO Mindstorms robot that can do that.
 
A remote control for a PS3 (for Blu-Rays and DVDs and such). It should be possible because PS3 remotes are bluetooth. I imagine this is something that you could only do if you own a PS3.
 
How about a cross-referenced and searchable database for quick access to conspiracy theory debunking material? I occasionally run into Truthers, Birthers, Anti-Fed, and the occasional JFK conspiracy believer and would love to have quick access to a consistent set of information.

I bet you could totally get help from folks here to collect the data.
 
How about a cross-referenced and searchable database for quick access to conspiracy theory debunking material?
Seriously, this is probably a good idea. Though, it doesn't necessarily have to be an app. It could be a web site, perhaps with a special mobile interface.

What would be something the app. could do, that a web site can't do, or at least not do very well?

I suppose I could draw up a framework for this, if others can provide the content.

A remote control for a PS3 (for Blu-Rays and DVDs and such). It should be possible because PS3 remotes are bluetooth. I imagine this is something that you could only do if you own a PS3.
Well, I don't have a PS3, at the moment. Though, I suppose I could pick one up, if I feel like doing this. I am not much of a console gamer, though.

A vibrator, complete with visuals and sound effects.
Someone already did that one.


Steer an escape pod.
Did you have a particular model of escape pod in mind?

Write something that mocks iPhone users.
I'd rather be diplomatic to all of my fellow SmartPhone friends, even if they have chosen to use a platform different from mine.

Besides, I think someone already made a bunch of those.
 
Seriously, this is probably a good idea. Though, it doesn't necessarily have to be an app. It could be a web site, perhaps with a special mobile interface.

What would be something the app. could do, that a web site can't do, or at least not do very well?

I suppose I could draw up a framework for this, if others can provide the content.

I would contribute to putting together the framework and design. I'm crap for coding (I'm a sloppy hack) but I'd contribute to such a project in as many ways as I'd be useful.

What could an app do? Well, the interface of a general app would be more smooth to finding certain types of topics quicker, even if the search isn't used. Think of how the Market categorizes apps, and then imagine being able to "favorite" certain ones for quick reference (maybe some content gets stored on the SD card for quicker access) while the rest is still able to be found without having to type in search criteria since there are categories already sorting them (so UFO CTs aren't surrounded by Federal Reserve CTs and the like).

I think having it be a website as well, with possibly the app pulling data from the same source DB (or a synced copy if it makes the app perform better), is also not a bad idea from a practical perspective. It could even add another layer of functionality to an app as a user (of the app) could possibly have a button to send a link to the entry being viewed via e-mail, SMS, or something similar. Really, the type of integrated interactivity would totally be up to how much effort you think would be worth your time (and, I assume, others if you're open to collaboration).

The more I explain the more I think it's becoming clear that this would be a project, and possibly one you might not want to give a shot at for your first app. If you're open to collaborating on it, though, I'm interested in helping in any way I can. There are probably loads of other folks who might be interested in helping to collect the content-- I and hopefully some others can collect and edit the copy, for example-- so what would mostly be necessary is a location to put it all together on the web.

This was actually something I've had bouncing around in my head for the better part of the last two years, and my first attempt at starting a wiki-based collection never got updated by me past a certain point. I've accepted it's a concept that above my ability to do alone, which is why I've not gone to great lengths to try any more attempts on my own.
 
An app that would locate the best hooker for the money by zip code. And I am upgrading to the Droid in less than a year so ..chop,chop!
 
How about an App to detect sleep apnea by analysing the audio (from the microphone) for breathing noises? You'd need to recognize breath sounds, and run a log showing when none were detected. You'd also want to log the snore periods. Sleep with your i-phone under your pillow and find out if you need to visit the doctor!
 
Easy one but with a lot of depth:

How about an app to help a casual skywatcher see Iridium Flares? They're predictable and quite beautiful. What you need to predict them is a fairly precise Lat-Long (most android phones can provide this), precise time (cellphones are good at this), and some math skills (but not too much). You'll have to research how to predict them, but generally astronomy forums are helpful about these sorts of things.

Imagine your phone suddenly chirps at you as you're out at dusk, "Look up and to the east in 30 seconds." You look up and, as predicted, a bright flash decorates the sky.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom