• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Australian Federal Election 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about voting for the Australian Sex Party. Most of their policies, such as opposing the national internet filter and ending the tax-exempt status of religion I agree with. Does anyone know where I can find more information about them that doesn't come from their official web page or Wikipedia?

Here's a recent ad they've released. (It's sort-of NSFW.)
37898_447318987017_602697017_6032242_5556685_n.jpg


Out of interest, are there any prominent non-white politicians in Australia?

Nothing that springs to mind. But if you want a list of indigenous (Aboriginal) politicians & activists, here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indigenous_Australians_in_politics_and_public_service

ETA: Looks like Alan beat me to it. :)
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking about voting for the Australian Sex Party. Most of their policies, such as opposing the national internet filter and ending the tax-exempt status of religion I agree with. Does anyone know where I can find more information about them other than their official web page and Wikipedia?

Christ, couldn't they just call themselves the Australian Social Democrats or something?
 
Christ, couldn't they just call themselves the Australian Social Democrats or something?
They were set up by the Eros Foundation, which is Australia's biggest porn production company. So opposition of censorship is one of their biggest platforms. And quite frankly I can't find much else in their position statement to disagree with. They are a little better than a single-issue party - they've got about five issues.

Only problem is that they can only put forward about four candidates at the moment (including Yahoo Serious). If they had someone in Eden-Monaro I'd probably vote for them.
 
Is it a bit odd to have a PM born in Wales?

Not really. We've had foreign-born Prime Ministers before.

Wikipedia said:
Six were born overseas: five in the United Kingdom (two in England, two in Scotland, one in Wales) and one in Chile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Australia#Birthplace

The current PM, Julia Gillard, was born in Wales. The head of the opposition, Tony Abbott, was born in England. Either way, it looks like our next elected Prime Minister will be another foreign import. :)
 
A quarter of the population was born overseas, so not surprising. There have been other PMs born overseas.

Yes, I had thought maybe it would be different in such a culture. Are people born in other parts of the world quickly assimilated into Aussie Culture?
 
Yes, I had thought maybe it would be different in such a culture. Are people born in other parts of the world quickly assimilated into Aussie Culture?
I wrote a fairly long (for me) post about this issue recently. We have a national policy of multi-culturalism, and this seems to be generally accepted. Nevertheless, since WWII immigrants have tended to assimilate, however over the past decade or so immigrants from the sub-continent, the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa have seemed not to assimilate in the same way as earlier groups.

This is an observation and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but immigration is an important issue this election - the total number and not their origin I should add.
 
Chance of a Coalition Government this time round?
Not good choice of terms as the Opposition is a coalition of the Liberal and National (formerly Country) Parties. But it is extremely unlikely that there will be a coalition a la the UK.

We have a preferential voting system meaning that in the House (where parliament is formed) there may be one Green MP (still unlikely I think) and one or two independents. The minor parties will have the balance of power in the Senate where there is a (sort of) proportional representation system.
 
Q&A is on now. This should be interesting because of the election.

Tanya Plibersek - Minister for Housing and Status of Women
Julie Bishop - Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Piers Akerman - News Limited Columnist
Bruce Hawker - ALP strategist
Waleed Aly - political commentator
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/

Apart from Aly, I don't think the panelists look all that promising, though.
 
Only problem is that they can only put forward about four candidates at the moment (including Yahoo Serious). If they had someone in Eden-Monaro I'd probably vote for them.

Damn... that reminds me. This is the first federal election since I moved to rural Victoria. I should find out who my local candidates are (and which parties they're with) before trying to work out how to vote. :(
 
Not good choice of terms as the Opposition is a coalition of the Liberal and National (formerly Country) Parties. But it is extremely unlikely that there will be a coalition a la the UK.

We have a preferential voting system meaning that in the House (where parliament is formed) there may be one Green MP (still unlikely I think) and one or two independents. The minor parties will have the balance of power in the Senate where there is a (sort of) proportional representation system.

There'll definitely be at least one independent.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/guide/kenn.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom