excaza
Illuminator
- Joined
- Nov 19, 2007
- Messages
- 3,593
Volumetric 3D projection is possible, and has been achieved on a very limited scale in specific static environments. See this link (slightly dated, but still very relevant)
I do remember work in this area being done at MIT (I know they had a really cool hologram exhibit at one point), but I can't recall anything specific at the moment.
Regardless, the technology to project a full scale image of an airplane, in broad daylight, into free space simply does not exist right now.
True volumetric 3D
There are a few methods of making a true three-dimensional image appear in a volume of space. These would be the closest to the "Princess Leia" type of image. But all current methods have severe limitations.
NEOS Technology has one of the largest volumes; a cylinder approximately one meter high by 1/2 meter diameter. Inside the cylinder, a helix spins at high speed. The image is projected onto the helix. At this time, the images are simple CAD-like drawings (for air traffic control or submarine warfare).
Another method uses two lasers which intersect inside a cube of a special material. The material glows at the intersection. (Pangolin's software is currently used to create 3D images in the volume.) The largest cube is about 1.5 cm on each side. You can see this at the website for 3D Technology Laboratories.
There is no volumetric technology mature enough to do a full-color, reasonable size representation of a human being such as Princess Leia, projected in freespace (as opposed to looking into a TV-like box).
I do remember work in this area being done at MIT (I know they had a really cool hologram exhibit at one point), but I can't recall anything specific at the moment.
Regardless, the technology to project a full scale image of an airplane, in broad daylight, into free space simply does not exist right now.
Last edited:


) projectors, but now instead of a half football field sized billboard, you'd need a very rapidly spinning half football sized billboard, or something comparably unwieldy, moving through the air at high speeds 1000 feet over Manhattan.