Also, the jet came in over the water at 2/3 the speed of sound. The only people close enough to have experienced anything more than the sound of a jet in the distance were on the southern tip of Manhattan. But due to the speed of the jet and the fact that it hit the building immediately after clearing the water, there was no time to hear a sustained roar from its engines. Just a brief moment of jet roar a fraction of a second before it hits the building, as is well documented in several videos.
An example of the sound dynamics at work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-lXM1D8ZI&feature=related
The above is rationalization personified. It is a lame excuse for why no one heard and why no mic captured the sound of a jetliner <1000ft up @ 550mph and why no one had to be treated for damage to their ears.
It also directly contradicts the first-hand, eyewitness testimony of those witnesses who not only said they neither saw nor heard a jetliner, but that, what they did hear, sounded like something other than a plane.
Asst. Commissioner Stephen Gregory, for instance. Here is where his account can be found:
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/9110008.PDF
Here's what he said:
"Q. Did you see or hear the second plane before
it hit the World Trade Center?
A. I never actually saw the plane, but l heard
it. You could hear it coming in and then we heard the
explosion and you could hear the roar of the plane
coming in. At first I didn't realize it was a plane.
I thought it was like the roar of fire, like something
had just incinerated, like a gas tank or an oil tank.
It sounded like a tremendous roar and then you heard
boom and then there was a big fire, a lot of fire, a
big fireball. I never actually saw a plane hit the
building. I never saw that. I saw it on television,
but I never saw it while I was standing there."
pg21/25
No one had trouble hearing what actually happened; namely:
an explosion
Just as Asst. Commn. Stephen Gregory stated.
They saw an explosion. All are clear about that. They heard at most a roar, but not what they thought was a jetliner right above them at 550mph, something that, had it been there, would have been easily identifiable. As that is not the sound they describe having heard, it follows that their hearing was consistent with what they saw:
an explosion
Drum roll, ergo, that is what happened.