shadron
Philosopher
- Joined
- Sep 2, 2005
- Messages
- 5,918
The "golf ball lumps" were probably lymph nodes. The lymph system moves institial fluid (the fluid that occurs between body cells, which leak out of the blood vessels) through the body and dumps it back into the circulatory system in one of the chest arteries. At various places in the system there are lymph glands, knots of tissue particularly alive with leucocytes, white blood cells. These lymph glands organize the leucocytes and act as filters for unrecognized cells as part of the blood immune system. When the body is fighting infection, they become inflamed and you suffer "swollen glands". I would guess that the bidy was organizing it's last stand against an overwhelming invasion of cancer cells, or perhaps some opportunistic infection.
I'm sorry for your family's pain. I think your other sister's anger could very well be artfully covered fear, though, so I would take it easy there, but not let loose.
My understanding is that many cancers, like AIDS, fall to opportunistic infections. Cancer has the ability to turn off parts of the immune system in order to escape detection, leaving one open to pheumonia and other common infections.
I'm sorry for your family's pain. I think your other sister's anger could very well be artfully covered fear, though, so I would take it easy there, but not let loose.
My understanding is that many cancers, like AIDS, fall to opportunistic infections. Cancer has the ability to turn off parts of the immune system in order to escape detection, leaving one open to pheumonia and other common infections.
Last edited: