LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- May 12, 2010
- Messages
- 21,455
I’ve followed this case quite closely since the trial began. I read a ton of articles on it, I’ve looked through most of the web sites for and against and I’ve read 3 books on it and I’ve tried to have an open mind about all this and finally I’ve come to a conclusion:
It doesn’t matter what evidence either side brings forward, there is a counter side to it. I believe this is true in most cases as well. I believe we will never find out exactly what happened that night either. Regardless of the trials and appeals outcome, there will always be two sides on this case, neither side admitting defeat.
In fact, I don’t believe I’ve ever read of a single person who actually changed their mind from one side to the other. I’ve heard guys say they originally thought one way but changed their mind once they got further into the case but no one who knows the case has ever been converted, that I've seen.
I’ve tried to base my opinion on hearing both sides and trying to deduce which side is more likely. Here is what they are:
a) I’m not even sure RS was present during the murder – but he was there afterwards
b) Amanda was not in the room during the murder, but she was in the house and was the initial cause of it.
c) Rudy didn’t lock the door; therefore the broken window was staged.
d) The luminal footprints and the one on the mat all belong to Amanda after she got out of the shower.
e) The shower didn’t happen at 11:00 AM
f) The E-Mail to friends was Amanda’s alibi/story that she wanted to stick to.
g) The double DNA knife wasn’t used in the murder, but likely was after (cut the bra off)
h) All the alibi’s/confessions at some point hold some truth in them, even Rudy’s.
i) Amanda was cuffed on the back of the head a couple of times and called a stupid lyre but that is not the reason she accused Patrick.
I’m not going to argue any of my points here, I still think there is about a 25 to 30% chance Amanda is innocent but like everyone else here, I’ll just have to go with however the courts rule and I’ll be happy with that. Well, maybe not, Rudy’s sentence, which could be further reduced and then off for good behaviour, just doesn’t seem quite fair.
Hi Sherlock.
Of course I respect your views, and in many instances I agree with your analysis. But I'd make a few points:
First - as I said once before - if you're still thinking in terms of 25%-30% doubt, then logically you ought to believe that AK should NOT have been convicted*. And it's important to state at this point that you can still think that she PROBABLY was involved in the crimes. But I'm afraid that the burden of proof placed upon the prosecution in any criminal case is to prove the guilt of the defendant BEYOND ALL DOUBT (i.e. any doubt that comes from a reasoned perspective).
Second, are you basing your opinion that AK was in the house but not Meredith's room at the time of the murder upon AK's "confession" of the 5th/6th November?
Third, do you think that AK will win her slander case against the Perugia police, if you believe that she was indeed cuffed on the back of the head during her interrogation? (Incidentally, I smiled when I thought of AK being accused by the police of being a classical Greek stringed instrument
* Although an important caveat to what I've said here is that I'm assuming you're referring to 25%-30% doubt in AK's guilt, looked at in TOTALITY of the evidence. If, instead, you're saying that you think that 25%-30% of the evidence against AK is not convincing, then of course it's very possible for the remaining 70%-75% to add up to guilt beyond reasonable doubt. But I think that the context of your statistics suggests that you're referring to an overall assessment, rather than a piece-by-piece one.