• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Nuke the damn oil leak!!

Detonating a device that is known to cause to destroy electrical equipment is not the smartest idea one could come up with.
Militarism is bad. Militartism breaks ecconomies and eventually leads people to start wars that they cannot win. Happened to Rome, Japan and Germany. Go back and read what Eisenhower said about that crap. You're outside your area of expertise.
I really hope I solve the world's energy problems just so I brag about how the evil military solved the energy crisis. Then again that is wishful thinking. I'd be grateful for a PHD.
 
Last edited:
So I just realized why this is an incredibly retarded idea that has a chance of killing "X" of people in one fell swoop. For what I find a typically intelligent lot I'm disappointed in you guys.
Yeah.
If you can get a nuke down the hole, you can get some other, more reversible solution (Pun not intentional) down there...
 
Yeah.
If you can get a nuke down the hole, you can get some other, more reversible solution (Pun not intentional) down there...

The suggestion is not to put the nuclear device in the borehole.

The suggestion is to bore a parallel hole and put the device in that, tamp it with concrete, and then detonate it. The impulse carried through the bedrock collapses the void space that is the well.
 
The suggestion is not to put the nuclear device in the borehole.

The suggestion is to bore a parallel hole and put the device in that, tamp it with concrete, and then detonate it. The impulse carried through the bedrock collapses the void space that is the well.
how far away and how deep?
They are already drilling a relief well-and it's gonna take 3 months to do it!
 
Obama is lucky in that unlike Bush where the BA became the symbol of Katrina, British Petroleum seems to be the main scapegoat in the Gulf leak.
Obama is going take a hit because of this, but it is not going to result in the 180% turn in public opinion that Katrina was the Bush Adminsitration.
And The GOP, with it's history of being a big friend of oil companies, and poor record on enforcing regulations, is going to find it hard to capitalize on the spill.
 
Last edited:
He has had some hands-on experience with deep-sea submersibles. He probably has a better grasp of what they can do than has the average lawyer or bean-counter. He has seen the theoretical stuff applied in the real world. Some of the engineers have no idea whether or not their lab work will translate successfully to the field.

I would not be surprised to even see him put some of his own money into the effort. (Think of the movie he could make if an idea of his works.)

Didn't I just see a bunch of people all excited about a Hollywood star sending in a high-tech oil skiming system?
 
... I don't think he nor I am quite worried about the EMP wave...

Edit: Oh, he is. Well, eh. I'm actually not sure the water would dampen it. I'm more worried about the effect of the water being radioactive.

How much damage would a slow leak of fallout (since it'd be deep underground) compare against a "worst case" massive, prolonged gusher of potentially hundreds of thousands of tons of toxic hydrocarbon into the sea?

Also, I'm wondering: why not use a bomb, but use a conventional one instead of a nuke? You may have to put it closer and use a physically larger charge, but why not? If the idea is just to choke the well... Pack 2 tons of explosives on each side of that puppy (within like 100-200 feet or so) and set it off!
 
That's the worst case scenario.

We're in this mess becauise corrupt oil company officals and corrupt paper-shufflers did not plan for the worst-case scenario.

Forget the nukes.

So they didn't plan for the worst case scenario, and how does that mean "forget the nukes"?
 
Umm... A nuclear device tamped in a hole under a mile of water should have about 0 effect on electronic devices...


Salt water is fairly conductive. I would expect that a mile of ocean water would quite effectively blunt the EMP.


... I don't think he nor I am quite worried about the EMP wave...

Edit: Oh, he is. Well, eh. I'm actually not sure the water would dampen it. I'm more worried about the effect of the water being radioactive.


There is a variation on the basic hydrogen bomb which is actually very “clean”, producing almost no radioactive fallout. This could be a good application for it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom