Can you cite the research showing children believe their imaginary friends are real?
No, belief systems that hold large sway over people's lives without providing sufficient evidence for why they should be followed.
Before you go around using the "f" word (fallacy), you may want to at least make sure that the person you are accusing is guilty of said fallacy. When did I ever say it was possible or necessary to have a completely neutral government (including public officials)? Find it and then come back to me.
Is that what I am saying? Thanks for letting me know!
See I thought I was saying that we shouldn't stop at religion. We should dispel all untruths, myths, and illusions.
I totally agree that we should teach children critical thinking. Just don't stop at one thing though! Next time you see a five year old with an imaginary friend, you should stop and tell them that their is no such thing. Who cares if it makes the kid's day seem a little brighter and better? It just plain isn't true so lets make sure they understand that ASAP!
As a master of critical thinking yourself (well at least in so far as you claim to know the basis of the entire discipline), I am sure you realize that taking a train of thought to its inevitable conclusion is also a big part of critical thinking.
So lets just make sure we aren't selective in the way we teach children that there is no flying spaghetti monster, jeebus, what have you. We should really spell out all things for them and never, ever let them have a moment where they believe in something that you or I perceive to be fictional. Because that would be tantamount to the same thing as teaching them a lie.
Either you have government without beliefs, or you have government with beliefs that you happen not to like banned. Of course, what you actually end up with are hidden beliefs.
Nice try but the two are completely different. Religious indoctrination: "myths and lies being taught to children as truth."
Do you see the difference now? It is okay to have untrue thoughts, it is not okay for adults to teach children that myths and lies are true.
But your claim isn't taking the original train of thought ot its natural conclusion. You had to completely change the original thought to get where you did. You took the silly thought train, not the logical thought train.
No, not even close. Teachers by law, and oath, cannot knowingly teach children a falsehood. We already have those types of rules in place in our society. People love to hate teachers but they expect so much from them. On the other hand, people just love their religious leaders and yet, they expect, and receive, so little from them.
Ummm...I'm not really following where what you are saying is coming from in relation to my posts. By "government" do you mean the collection of individual government officials or an amorphous entity? By "beliefs" do you mean beliefs specific to and pertaining to religious faiths (ie Jesus is God, the anti-Christ is coming to destroy the world, etc)?
No, not even close. Teachers by law, and oath, cannot knowingly teach children a falsehood.
"... what is important is how you treat people."But. Religion doesn't work like that. There doesn't come a point in a child's life where the rabbi/priest/parent*/whatever says "All that stuff we've been saying about God? Yeah, that may not be true. I mean, we'd really like it to be true. But the actual evidence is really lacking. So if you want to believe that, that's fine. And if you want to look at other religions, that's also fine. And if you follow another religion, or if you decide that nothing works for you, that's all good."
*I would hope that a good parent would say this (or even make it clear from the start that religion is a personal thing where the individual has to decide for themselves), but I think we all know that this doesn't always happen.
It's quite simple really. If one wants to ban certain things being taught, then you have to choose what is banned and what is permitted. That is just a matter of picking out what is truth and what isn't - which is of course a matter of opinion.
In the USA, for example, it's not acceptable for the government to tell everyone that God is a three-in-one omnipotent being. The corollary of this is that the government isn't allowed to tell people that God is a makey-up story.
As can be readily seen from this forum, there is no consensus on what is and isn't true. Any ban on particular forms of expression are simply a matter of who has the power, not some impartial truth-seeking.
Nice try but the two are completely different. Religious indoctrination: "myths and lies being taught to children as truth."
Do you see the difference now? It is okay to have untrue thoughts, it is not okay for adults to teach children that myths and lies are true.
But your claim isn't taking the original train of thought ot its natural conclusion. You had to completely change the original thought to get where you did. You took the silly thought train, not the logical thought train.
No, not even close. Teachers by law, and oath, cannot knowingly teach children a falsehood. We already have those types of rules in place in our society. People love to hate teachers but they expect so much from them. On the other hand, people just love their religious leaders and yet, they expect, and receive, so little from them.
The simplest and most just thing to do would be to cure them of religion.
I strongly agree with you. I've been saying the same for months. It should be made a criminal offence to teach children such outlandish, illogical - and, dangerous nonsense.I think that religious instruction is child abuse and should be regarded as such.
I think that it is morally akin to deliberately exposing a child to HIV.
I'm under no illusion that we'll be able to prevent or even reduce religious indoctrination, but I think we need to hold those who do it accountable and never let them forget the damage that they are doing to their own and other people's children.
Tell me; what are these untruths, myths, and illusions about the Lord that you think we should dispel?
![]()
How about the untruth that God is a closet Culture Club fan? That one is outrageous.![]()
I see no problem with teaching religious instruction and converting people which have already been taught to reason rationaly, or at least have had BASIC grounding for it.
But teaching it to young children (I saw it as low as 5years, up to 12/13 for sunday school), at a point of time where they can only accepts what the adult role model tell tham ad-hoc, and potentially stay on those early fundement, is IMHO brainwashing. As I see the world as it is, it seems only a minority of kids see "through" it.
I see no problem with teaching religious instruction and converting people which have already been taught to reason rationaly, or at least have had BASIC grounding for it.