I am not denying the The RIAA and MPAA have been extremly heavy handed in their prosecutions.
The emphasis should be on stopping somebody who is DISTRIBUTING illegal stuff. The guy making backups for his own use should be left alone.
I think music companies should offer free MP3s of their music for anyone to download -- low sample rate mono MP3s, maybe with a very short beep at the end to remind the listener that they're listening to the free version. A high-quality stereo version would be available for purchase by people who like the music.
This would be a great way for people to be able to listen to unfamiliar songs before decide whether or not they want to pay for the high-quality version, making it a good form of advertising. People who can't afford to buy it could build collections of the low-quality MP3s for free. And the low quality versions would have a much smaller file size, reducing internet traffic.
make your own music. It's really not that difficult.
That could be one way, but from what I hear, they are contemplating a different path: The full quality version can be downloaded for free, but it can only be played from the computer, it cannot be copied, and it will only play a limited number of times. If you like it, you can pay for a version that can be burnt on a CD and which has no time limit.I think music companies should offer free MP3s of their music for anyone to download -- low sample rate mono MP3s, maybe with a very short beep at the end to remind the listener that they're listening to the free version. A high-quality stereo version would be available for purchase by people who like the music.
This would be a great way for people to be able to listen to unfamiliar songs before decide whether or not they want to pay for the high-quality version, making it a good form of advertising. People who can't afford to buy it could build collections of the low-quality MP3s for free. And the low quality versions would have a much smaller file size, reducing internet traffic.
Of course, there will be cracks for this, but ig the price is reasonable, most users will pay.
I know several people who ended up pirating games because of DRM or broken disks.
I think what bothers me most is that i'm a big fan of backups, and I rip my DVD's and CD's to a home server. I don't file share it, but by many standards I have read that's still pirating. Why am I (potentially) a pirate for protecting bits I have purchased?
Oh, Me Me!!
I torrented Hearts Jupiters Darling a few weeks ago, and I bought the cd this morning.
When it comes to tech issues, ARStechnica and wired are the equivalent of prisonplanet
I owe Joni Mitchell some money.
In fact, I can't remember ever paying for any music.
People shouldn't even be allowed to lend a record to a friend.
(I'm going to turn myself in.)
Another way to sell music is to sell MP3s on CDs. This could be used for artists that are retiring or retired. Buy their entire collection on one CD. This would save people from downloading either legal or illegal copies.
Don't think you'll be branded a pirate, but it would be a violation of the DMCA which prohibits ANY circumvention of copy protection mechanism regardless of reason. Think EU is working on, or have already implemented, similar laws.
They are just trying to make their stealing sound moral.
I don't really see what copyright laws add to our society. It basically amounts to people not being able to use the products they buy as they see fit. There will always be people making high quality music and software even if they don't earn a living from it.
And while keeping an MP3 from a CD I no longer own may be technically illegal, it doesn't cost the music industry a thing because if I deleted it, I wouldn't go out and buy more music to replace it.
I don't really see what copyright laws add to our society. It basically amounts to people not being able to use the products they buy as they see fit. There will always be people making high quality music and software even if they don't earn a living from it.