I thought that I might as well share my thoughts on a petty issue that’s caught my attention from time to time. I’m just writing most of this from the top of my head and so I might add on in the near future. Also, it's late and I'm tired and so there might be errors in my grammar.
Since I’m interested in a lot of art and fictional literature that is within the “geek/eccentric sector” (anthros, Warhammer 40k, steampunk etc.), I occasionally run into some nuts who might have came fresh out of the local insane asylum. Take lycanthropes for example, particularly the brand where people honestly believe that they ARE a different species and this isn’t exactly the clinical lycanthropy (at least from what I’m reading).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furries#Furry_lifestylers
Taken from the above link:
In their 2007 survey, Gerbasi et al. examined what it meant to be a furry, and proposed a topology in which to categorise different "types" of furries. The largest group — 38% of those surveyed — described their interest in furry fandom predominately as a "route to socializing with others who share common interests such as anthropomorphic art and costumes."[10] However they also identified furries who saw themselves as "other than human", and/or who desired to become more like the furry species which they identified with.[8][10] This distinction can be viewed in light of the findings of the larger Furry Survey, according to which a majority of furries consider themselves to be predominantly human, while about 6% do not consider themselves human at all.[11]
Look, I can understand the “I want to be a different creature” crowd, but these guys ignore the obvious reality. I can’t help but to feel a little bit of pity for the other 94% of the crowd being embarrassed by those whack jobs.
It’s basically a walk in the park when debating (if even possible) with the “I AM a different creature" crowd, but I guess you can call it preparation or initiation for beginner skeptics when it comes to being patient with Conspiracy Theorists, Flat-Earthers, Hollow-Earthers etc.
However, I still think that this particular belief of lycanthropy needs to be addressed (easy job for any of us, if you can stand people wearing animal costumes).
Comments and posts are welcome.
Since I’m interested in a lot of art and fictional literature that is within the “geek/eccentric sector” (anthros, Warhammer 40k, steampunk etc.), I occasionally run into some nuts who might have came fresh out of the local insane asylum. Take lycanthropes for example, particularly the brand where people honestly believe that they ARE a different species and this isn’t exactly the clinical lycanthropy (at least from what I’m reading).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furries#Furry_lifestylers
Taken from the above link:
In their 2007 survey, Gerbasi et al. examined what it meant to be a furry, and proposed a topology in which to categorise different "types" of furries. The largest group — 38% of those surveyed — described their interest in furry fandom predominately as a "route to socializing with others who share common interests such as anthropomorphic art and costumes."[10] However they also identified furries who saw themselves as "other than human", and/or who desired to become more like the furry species which they identified with.[8][10] This distinction can be viewed in light of the findings of the larger Furry Survey, according to which a majority of furries consider themselves to be predominantly human, while about 6% do not consider themselves human at all.[11]
Look, I can understand the “I want to be a different creature” crowd, but these guys ignore the obvious reality. I can’t help but to feel a little bit of pity for the other 94% of the crowd being embarrassed by those whack jobs.
It’s basically a walk in the park when debating (if even possible) with the “I AM a different creature" crowd, but I guess you can call it preparation or initiation for beginner skeptics when it comes to being patient with Conspiracy Theorists, Flat-Earthers, Hollow-Earthers etc.
However, I still think that this particular belief of lycanthropy needs to be addressed (easy job for any of us, if you can stand people wearing animal costumes).
Comments and posts are welcome.