uruk
Philosopher
- Joined
- Apr 9, 2003
- Messages
- 5,311
I was wondering what happens to acceleration as you approach the singularity of a black hole?
Acceleration is dependent on gravity according to Newton. If gravity increases to infinity at the singularity what happens to an objects acceleration as it approaches the singularity?
Would the object's acceleration also approach infinity? What would that mean?
I tried looking this up at a couple of sites. The nearest thing to an answer I found was that Newtonian physics breaks down after you get past the event horizon where escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.
Would relativity be any help?
Acceleration is dependent on gravity according to Newton. If gravity increases to infinity at the singularity what happens to an objects acceleration as it approaches the singularity?
Would the object's acceleration also approach infinity? What would that mean?
I tried looking this up at a couple of sites. The nearest thing to an answer I found was that Newtonian physics breaks down after you get past the event horizon where escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.
Would relativity be any help?