• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The attraction to good-looking people--Why the evolved preference?

I wonder if competition has something to do with it. Having to fight for the most beautiful woman in the tribe could ensure that the fittest male will procreate.
 
I think it's definitely a combo of social and instinctual influences. Personally, I think the instincts are by far the main drive. Like most men (and women with men), I find a woman most attractive when she looks healthy and proportional because...it shows health, strength, long-life. As a result, our instincts of wanting sex kicks in because it contributes to procreation. Some have the look, some don't. "Mother Nature" doesn't care whose feelings are hurt.

I think our standards have raised because so has our knowledge/ability to take care of ourselves.

As far as social influences, unfortunately for both sexes, we've gotten used to seeing men and women who have had LOTS of photo work done to them. Believe me, I'm in the industry that does that for ads and catalogs. Because I'm aware of it, I've consciously made an effort to turn this over-critical search for a woman into appreciating these flaws as a sign of maturity, being a genuine human, having experience and knowing that she's probably so self-conscious about her flaws that she'll think less of my numerous flaws...hopefully :D

Also fascinating are the off-center attractions we all have. For instance, there's a woman I know that has a slightly crooked tooth that makes her unique and...cute. In fact, it drives me crazy. Why? My ex thought my bowleggedness was cute. Why? Does it remind us of someone we were attracted to way back in the past that we don't even remember? Does it remind us of someone we were attracted to from TV? Real life?
 
I'm not up to date on the literature but I've never come across evidence that suggests that non-human primates place a significant role on facial features when selecting a mate. I could be wrong but it seems they place more emphasis on strength, skills, status, communication and emphathy than physical attractiveness/health cues determined by facial features. Maybe someone knowledgeable in non-human primates can weigh in.

As I recall I think at least chimpanzees (as well as perhaps other primates) do share our trait of facial recognition. Not sure if that translates to mate selection (although I can’t see why it wouldn’t given at least that recognition) or any studies done in that regard. So I’ll have to check and get back to you on that. Dang, I hate homework.
 
As I recall I think at least chimpanzees (as well as perhaps other primates) do share our trait of facial recognition. Not sure if that translates to mate selection (although I can’t see why it wouldn’t given at least that recognition) or any studies done in that regard. So I’ll have to check and get back to you on that. Dang, I hate homework.
:p :p :p
 
I've consciously made an effort to turn this over-critical search for a woman into appreciating these flaws as a sign of maturity, being a genuine human, having experience and knowing that she's probably so self-conscious about her flaws that she'll think less of my numerous flaws...hopefully :D

I think I'm getting old, because I understand what you're saying. While an 18-year old, gorgeous woman is nice to look at, there's nothing I find "attractive" about them. Their youth just screams of ignorance and not knowing what's important in life, a lack of interesting experiences to discuss and an inability to relate to much of the world.

That said, there's some stupid people that live a long time, so don't mistake a few little wrinkles for intelligence.
 
I've never really bought into the "facial beauty=symmetry" idea. Equal parts ugly on both sides of the face is still ugly.

I suppose it's a necessary condition for beauty (although Cindy Crawford might disagree), but it's hardly sufficient.
 
I've never really bought into the "facial beauty=symmetry" idea. Equal parts ugly on both sides of the face is still ugly.
Symmetry is only one of many factors, certainly not the sole factor.

Here might be another way to summarize things:

When times are "tough" signs and deeds showing good health prevail. When times are "easier", the flaunting of risks will become more enticing.
 
Could be. I'm going by anecdotal evidence. Like I knew a very attractive girl who had multiple heart surgeries and other health problems. I didn't see any evidence of poor health in her facial features. Maybe "chronic health problems" was a bad choice of words. I'm no doctor.

But you're basing that on modern anecdotes. During the vast majority of our species existance, she most likely would not have even lived to reproductive age.
 
But you're basing that on modern anecdotes. During the vast majority of our species existance, she most likely would not have even lived to reproductive age.

Yes, which raises some interesting questions. Did the success of medical science drive the preference for attractive faces even further? Might make an interesting thesis.
 
Why did humans evolve such a huge preference for physical attractiveness? Some theories make sense to a certain degree but fall short. For example, physical attractiveness might an indicator of health and good genes, but can facial features always tell who has the best lungs, kidneys, intelligence...etc.?

Take two 20 year old females. Girl A has a history of chronic health problems and has a subnormal IQ but has the same facial features as the girl on my avatar - big eyes, symmetrical face, full lips. Girls B hasn't had a history of serious health problems in her life and has near genius level IQ but has Meg Griffin-type facial features-- pudgy, square face, small, squinty eyes, small lips. Assuming both girls have the same body type (~5'5" 115 lbs., athletic) Girl A will always be selected as the better mate. Why did humans evolve such a preference for girl A's facial features even though they aren't the best indicator of health or good genes?
I've often wondered about this myself. During my lifetime I've seen plenty of very unattractive men and women reproduce themseves though.
 
I've never really bought into the "facial beauty=symmetry" idea. Equal parts ugly on both sides of the face is still ugly.

I suppose it's a necessary condition for beauty (although Cindy Crawford might disagree), but it's hardly sufficient.

It is one indicator of physical attractiveness. Makes sense too because of the bisymmetry that dominates the animal kingdom. There's been substantial research to corroborate also.

"SCIENTISTS believe they have created the perfect male face, a man so handsome that any woman would automatically pick him out of a crowd.

He has large expressive eyes set in a smooth-skinned symmetrical face, a straight nose and rounded hair and jaw line.

Although his makers admit he looks slightly girly, they have found modern women want caring feminine traits rather than more macho markings.
...

Symmetry in male and female features has long been recognised as an important attribute in sexual attraction, but the rise of feminine appeal in a male face is a modern trait. "


http://www.sensualism.com/beauty/index.html
 
Last edited:
I've often wondered about this myself. During my lifetime I've seen plenty of very unattractive men and women reproduce themseves though.

When the only person willing to give it up to a bug-ugly person is another bug-ugly person, then their eventual reproduction is inevitable.
 
Let me tell a short story. At Emory University there is or was Biology Professor. She was a genius however she was quite possibly the most unattractive woman I have ever seen. She lacked a chin. She was short bodied with long bony legs. Her eyes were sometimes crossed. She seemed to lack hips. No one ever dated her for obvious reasons. There was one person who seemed to be infatuated with her. He was a short order cook who worked at the Majestic restaurant. He was borderline retarded.

I saw on a TV program about mismatched couples and she and this man are the only subjects on that show I remember. She said that if they had children she was equipped to teach a person of superior or limited intellectual abilities. I don't know if they had kids or not but if they did I sure hope they took after the man in the looks department. The man despite his disability was kind and always seemed eager to please the restaurants customers. He worked hard and the restaurant had to run him off of the job at quitting time. I wish them both the best.
 
Last edited:
I am one of the only females I know that is attracted almost exclusively to long-haired males with facial hair* (unless they're fat :P). I wonder why that is... are there any evolutionary advantages to having long hair and facial hair? :newlol

Among celebrities, the best examples I can think of are, say, these guys. Seeing the same actors but with short hair and/or clean-shaven does absolutely nothing for me. I don't think they're ugly, I just find them... very bland, I guess.



* My preference generally goes like this: long hair + facial hair > long hair + clean shaven > short hair + facial hair > short hair + clean shaven.
There are, of course, exceptions; for example, I find Kiefer Sutherland very attractive even when short-haired and clean-shaven (though I prefer him with the long hair and beard ^^).
 

Aw c'mon, we're all attracted to those guys!

A few points to ponder:

1) Selection isn't being driven by attraction to people with pleasing, symmetrical features. As deftly pointed out, average-looking folks don't seem to be having any trouble making babies.

2) Our modern (and Western) ideals of beauty involve traits that very often are not inheritable. For example, I believe that's the lovely Natalie Portman in the OP's avatar. Did she have braces in her youth? Does she use a whitening toothpaste? Did she use Pro-Activ? Is that her natural hair color? Has she plucked her eyebrows? Is she wearing make-up? Symmetry is just one of a host of features that can convey health and potential payoff as a mate choice. Clear, smooth skin, shiny hair, bright and clear eyes, straight teeth - these and lots of cues convey that message. Don't focus so much on symmetry.

3) Yes, folks find certain quirky things attractive. Rachael, Monica, or Phoebe? To me, Rachael is the most attractive physical specimen, but I always found Phoebe's character a lot more alluring. I guess I like pretty, funny women better than gorgeous, less funny women. I think I always liked Terri Garr for the same reason. At the same time, I really don't care if Catherine Zeta Jones is funny or not . . . No absolutes in what people find attractive.
 
I'm not up to date on the literature but I've never come across evidence that suggests that non-human primates place a significant role on facial features when selecting a mate. I could be wrong but it seems they place more emphasis on strength, skills, status, communication and emphathy than physical attractiveness/health cues determined by facial features. Maybe someone knowledgeable in non-human primates can weigh in.
I'd be interested to know how one studies the attraction of facial features in non-human primates.

I would think the studies show all female primates in estrus attract a following of males, and the alpha males and alpha females (Bonobos) are sought for their positions. Alpha males depend for the most part on strength.

In lots of species, male strength is an attraction. But there are a few species where cheating on the harem leader goes on. This has been seen in primates and at least one species of fish where smaller males have a strategy of getting some on the sly, despite the guarding of the harem by the alpha males.
 
...
Among celebrities, the best examples I can think of are, say, these guys. Seeing the same actors but with short hair and/or clean-shaven does absolutely nothing for me. I don't think they're ugly, I just find them... very bland, I guess....
MMMmmmmmm, Vigo in the LOTR's role, yummm. In some of his other roles, nice but not nearly as yumm.

However, I think the role he played as the hero with the qualities of that hero in particular had some to do with the attractiveness of the image, long hair or not.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom