• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Rules Committee meeting descends into chaos

boyntonstu

Banned
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
908
Rules Committee meeting descends into chaos
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
03/20/10 12:42 PM EDT

...........At the House Rules Committee meeting, Democrats desperate to pass their national health care plan are running into the barrier of basic civics. Here is the problem: The Senate has passed its HCR bill. If the House passes the same bill, it goes on to the president; once he signs it, the bill becomes law. But House Democrats, when they vote for the Senate bill using the "Deem & Pass" dodge, also want to simultaneously pass a package of amendments to the law. Except HCR will not, at that point, be law. It will only become law when the president signs it. Congress can amend the law -- it does so all the time -- but can it amend something that isn't law?".....

I don't understand why there is a problem.


President Obama recently said that process does not matter.


Or does it?

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...scends-into-chaos-88725962.html#ixzz0ik8Oj9Wa
 
If a BS point is moot in the woods, does it make a sound?

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...p-or-down-vote-on-senate-health-care-bill.php

/thread


Just a stink! (from your link)

"But they had continued to prepare to use the procedure to ease the concerns of House Democrats who didn't want to vote on the Senate health care bill without greater assurance that it would be "fixed" by the Senate later using the reconciliation process.

The House leadership's decision to forgo using the Slaughter rule signals that they believe they now have the votes needed to pass the Senate bill. It also suggests that the political firestorm engineered by Republicans about the use of what had been run-of-the-mill procedural techniques had made that option even less appealing than a straight up or down vote on the Senate bill, which so many House members find distasteful."

Why would many Democrats find something distasteful that Obama says is delicious?
 
Why would many Democrats find something distasteful that Obama says is delicious?

Moot point. Your concern is duly noted, though. Also, please quote President Obama (man, I love writing that) saying this was delicious? The only thing delicious will be tomorrow's historic vote, where the Democratic Party finally enacts near universal health care in America. What a great moment that will be.

I'll be thinking of you when it passes.
 
Moot point. Your concern is duly noted, though. Also, please quote President Obama (man, I love writing that) saying this was delicious? The only thing delicious will be tomorrow's historic vote, where the Democratic Party finally enacts near universal health care in America. What a great moment that will be.

I'll be thinking of you when it passes.

"Near universal health care in America"?

Who are not covered and why aren't they?
 
"Near universal health care in America"?

Who are not covered and why aren't they?

People who are here illegally (that was a big time issue with Teabaggers). People just really didn't want to make sure that those people could see a doctor. So thank the Wingnuts for that. Also, since we can't have single payer coverage (again, Wingnuts screamed about that until they turned blue), we have to preserve the private insurance companies. So, a percentage of people (homeless, mentally ill, etc) just won't be willing or able to make payments for premiums. Those people will still go the ER when they get sick.

Yeah, I agree with you that that sounds less than optimal. I suggest you lobby Congress for single payer.
 
People who are here illegally (that was a big time issue with Teabaggers). People just really didn't want to make sure that those people could see a doctor. So thank the Wingnuts for that. Also, since we can't have single payer coverage (again, Wingnuts screamed about that until they turned blue), we have to preserve the private insurance companies. So, a percentage of people (homeless, mentally ill, etc) just won't be willing or able to make payments for premiums. Those people will still go the ER when they get sick.

Yeah, I agree with you that that sounds less than optimal. I suggest you lobby Congress for single payer.

You left out a few:

All Senators, Congressmen, their staff, Amish, Mennonite, etc.

Why are these political and religious exemptions allowed?
 
You left out a few:

All Senators, Congressmen, their staff, Amish, Mennonite, etc.

Why are these political and religious exemptions allowed?

Link?

Besides, you're arguing for single payer here. Regardless, I'm a supporter of single payer plus. Everyone has coverage under Medicare, paid for by taxes, but everyone also has the right to buy extra insurance if they want.

Sounds like we're in agreement, but it's hard to say. When I'm hearing Wingnuts like Shadegg and Scarborough arguing for the public option, at this point I'm inclined to believe it's all just sophistry and none of them have any core beliefs at all about anything. Not you, of course. I'd never accuse you of simply taking an opposing viewpoint just because you don't like President Obama. That'd be unthinkable.
 
Link?

Besides, you're arguing for single payer here. Regardless, I'm a supporter of single payer plus. Everyone has coverage under Medicare, paid for by taxes, but everyone also has the right to buy extra insurance if they want.

Sounds like we're in agreement, but it's hard to say. When I'm hearing Wingnuts like Shadegg and Scarborough arguing for the public option, at this point I'm inclined to believe it's all just sophistry and none of them have any core beliefs at all about anything. Not you, of course. I'd never accuse you of simply taking an opposing viewpoint just because you don't like President Obama. That'd be unthinkable.

I'd never accuse you of simply taking an opposing viewpoint just because you don't like President Obama's policies?
 
Link?

Besides, you're arguing for single payer here. Regardless, I'm a supporter of single payer plus. Everyone has coverage under Medicare, paid for by taxes, but everyone also has the right to buy extra insurance if they want.

Sounds like we're in agreement, but it's hard to say. When I'm hearing Wingnuts like Shadegg and Scarborough arguing for the public option, at this point I'm inclined to believe it's all just sophistry and none of them have any core beliefs at all about anything. Not you, of course. I'd never accuse you of simply taking an opposing viewpoint just because you don't like President Obama. That'd be unthinkable.

It is quite possible to think that either single payer or the status quo would be better than this bill.
 
It is quite possible to think that either single payer or the status quo would be better than this bill.

Yes, but it's not possible to believe that Joe Scarborough or John Shadegg thinks this. There's a difference, and in that difference lies the rank sophistry.

John Shadegg is now supportive of single payer health care? He's now in favor of a "government run healthcare system"? Seriously? This is why I say that people in the GOP don't seem to have any core values about anything at all. It's all just forever seeking that elusive Waterloo for President Obama.
 
Yes, but it's not possible to believe that Joe Scarborough or John Shadegg thinks this. There's a difference, and in that difference lies the rank sophistry.

John Shadegg is now supportive of single payer health care? He's now in favor of a "government run healthcare system"? Seriously? This is why I say that people in the GOP don't seem to have any core values about anything at all. It's all just forever seeking that elusive Waterloo for President Obama.

Sure, but saying, "This is worse than single payer," is not an argument for single payer, and there is no reason to interpret it as such when it comes from those people. One can assess the relative merits of many different options without endorsing any of them. Especially if you are pointing out what you perceive as inaccuracies in someone else's praise of the current bill, in their own terms.
 
Sure, but saying, "This is worse than single payer," is not an argument for single payer, and there is no reason to interpret it as such when it comes from those people. One can assess the relative merits of many different options without endorsing any of them. Especially if you are pointing out what you perceive as inaccuracies in someone else's praise of the current bill, in their own terms.

They weren't saying it's "worse than single payer". Joe Scarborough was making the case that this bill was flawed because it lacked a public option.

You find that credible?

Really???
 
Key House Democrat: "There Are No Rules Here ... We Make Them Up As We Go Along"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHTJSu_2Lk


Says former-federal-judge-who-was-impeached-and-removed-from-office-for-bribery-and-perjury Alcee Hastings, who is a current Congressman and member in good standing of the Democrat Party Leadership and Cabal.

I guess he got drunk and actually spoke the truth for once.
 
Ohhh, a cabal!

Tell me you were wearing a V for Vendetta mask as you typed that. It would complete the picture most wonderfully.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom