I had a good read at it, and indeed it's interesting and thoughtful. It almost sounds, though, as if she's arguing in favour of the "death panels". Is $620,000 too much to prolong a cancer patient's life for eight years, mostly happy? Absolutely not, I'd say. And I think any universal healthcare system would agree. That's paid for by maybe a dozen contributors who had a sudden stroke or something and took very little out of the system.
I didn't get that she's arguing in favor of "death panels," she is contemplating the philosophical question of "how much is a day of life worth." Or even, "How much is a
chance of an extra day of life worth." Or two days. Or two weeks. Or two years. It's a hard question that I'd imagine even universal healthcare systems face. If a doctor said to me, "Your wife has a 50% chance of living an extra week, but the treatment costs a million dollars," I'd take it. I'd probably take it if it were an extra day. I'd probably take it if it were 10 million dollars and a 10% chance. Obviously, things don't get broken down that cleanly in real life, but I think it's that type of question she was contemplating. At
some point, every system says "no more."
This is a particularly salient point in the U.S. where care is very expensive. One strong driver of that expense is that the U.S. tends to adopt newer technologies very quickly (i.e. when they're still very expensive, but not necessarily with enough of an improvement in effectiveness to justify the early adoption). So the question of, "We have this nice new drug/procedure that might be 25% more effective, but costs 10X as much, and this older drug which is mostly effective but 1/10 the price, is it worth it?" and things of that nature is also, IMO, what she is pondering.
And then again, they apparently didn't pay $620,000, but only about $230,000, because the insurance company screwed a very good deal out of the providers.
I'm not sure why you chose the word "screwed" here unless it has a different connotation in British English. Insurers negotiate prices on behalf of their members. It's part of what I pay my premiums for them to do. They do so before any treatment is given. It's not like the hospital handed the insurer a bill for $620,000 and the insurer said, "Screw you, we're only paying $230,000." The hospitals usually have a contract in place with the rates defined. I do think there is a little funny math on both sides, though. No business in their right mind would give anyone a 60+% discount across the board unless they were absurdly marked up to begin with. I'd imagine the hospitals mark things way up knowing they are going to negotiate down, then they can say to the insurer, "Look we're giving you a HUGE discount!" and then the insurer can go to their members and advertise and say, "Look we negotiated this HUGE discount!" I had a bill for a test, and the bill was for $700+, and minus the insurer discount, it ended up being about $90. That's an 80%+ discount! A hospital might offer some procedures at a loss and recoup them with other procedures, but an 80% discount? It's ridiculous. Incidentally, on average, government programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) "screw" providers worse than private insurance on rates.
The argument really seems to be about whether this should be an individual decision, or one mandated by society, and in the former case, what do you do about the people who didn't chip in, for whatever reason.
And that's the issue with the "I shouldn't be forced to have health insurance if I don't want it" argument (for the people who legitimately can afford it but choose not to). Okay -- if you don't want to have insurance, then you get what you can pay for. You're accepting the risk that if you get a disease or injury that you can't pay for, we're not going to treat you. Of course, it's unlikely that most people would accept that when push came to shove and they were facing the possibility of dying of cancer or lying on the side of the road after a car accident (and as a society, we shouldn't accept it either). They'd demand the treatment. So let's be realistic and have them pay into the system.
The writer didn't really highlight how much of the cost was incurred in the last few weeks, but I think that's maybe the bigger issue.
She didn't give the full last few weeks, but she does say that the final three days cost $14,022 and the four days before that was $43,711 so that's a little over $57,000. Of course, it doesn't say if that's before or after the insurer discount.
However, they had genuine hope of getting the cancer into remission again, so I wouldn't say it was unjustified at all. Also, it's only by making that extra effort with the poor-prognosis cases that the new treatments can be refined and turned into something that's really worth having.
It seems like in her case it was the right thing to do. $230,000 as a whole doesn't strike me as a huge amount in a case like that, and that was $230,000 over several years.
I think it's actually a shame that the family had to think of all this in monetary terms, even if they weren't paying most of the bills.
I don't get the impression she was worrying about it a lot at the time. She looked back and wondered about it. But I don't have a problem with thinking about it in monetary terms. When we had our baby, I wanted to know how much the birth and extra hospitalization cost, even though I didn't pay for most of it. But maybe I'm just the curious type.
At one point, the relative usefulness of spending that money on Terence rather than on vaccines for children in Africa was questioned. My reply to that is, if you're going to make that comparison, then there are a lot of things we should give up in order to vaccinate these African children, before we take medical treatment away from cancer patients.
Well, she states she would do it again. She was commenting on how he
might think if he knew how much it cost. But yeah, in general that argument is bunk... if we all got smaller houses, shut off our TV and Internet and cell phone services and bought cheap cars, we could give all that money to poor African children, I'm sure.