• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

'Family Guy' demonstrates cold reading and dependency on psychics

Questioninggeller

Illuminator
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
3,048
I haven't seen the 'Family Guy' episode yet, but read a summary in the LA Times. According to the "Extra Large Medium" wikipedia article, one character demonstrates how cold reading works and how psychics deceive their clients.

LA Times said:
...
The Griffins head off on a little Sunday nature hike, but Chris and Stewie get lost in the woods while chasing a butterfly. They wander aimlessly for a couple of days.
...
At the same time, Lois grows more and more dependent on the psychic who predicted her sons’ safe return, and Brian makes it his mission to disprove this seer. And just when you start to wonder “where’s Peter?” the Griffin patriarch shows up just in time to become convinced that he too is psychic. ...
...

The full episode is being streamed here.
 
I saw it. It was pretty much run of the mill FG these days, which means not all that great overall. However, it did not pull many punches with the psychic thing.
 
south park already did it
14959_sidekicks_dont_getcredit_general_disarray.jpg

simpsons didn't
:D
 
I should note the big buzz about the episode is the reference to Sarah Palin as the mother of the Downs character. Although I have to admit, I am not sure why everyone thinks this was so bad. Even watching the show, my thought was that they handled the Downs character extremely well. They didn't stereotype her, and jeez, it was to the point where Chris actually had a crush on her! How often do you find any show that will treat a Downs Syndrome person as a real person, someone who might be attractive to non-Downs kids? In the end, she acted like a total bi-atch, basically a normal teenage girl.

When I saw the show, I thought, wow, what a great character - a Downs Syndrome child who isn't the lovable Corky.
 
My favorite theme was Peter being convinced he had actual powers after faking them, and doing the stage shows as such. It spelled clearly: that not all fakers are liars; some are delusional and actually believe in what they do.

Now that I think about it I'm surprised the "You're a big fat phony!" guy didn't show up to confront him. They usually never miss an opportunity at reusing one-joke characters. And it would have made for a better ending than the throw-away crime scene. A truly delusional person would have found a way to explain the miss, not resign his beliefs instantly.

No spoiler tags here since you can't really spoil Family Guy... unless you ask the French to dub the french version.
 
Cold Reading Primer:
I'm getting an A-Z name? Does that make sense to anyone?

Person answers: My uncle charles.

Psychic: Ok, cause I'm getting the name charles. Charles is telling me his name is charles.

Repeat in some different form.
 
The best Psychic ever....

Clinton Baptiste

Possible NSFW



From Phoenix Nights....
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom