• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Has anyone read Crossfire by Jim Marrs?

jayman

Thinker
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
198
I'm studying to become an expert in the JFK Assassination. My friend is pro-conspiracy on this one. I asked him what his best evidence was and he said Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy by Jim Marrs is it. He's recommended that book to me and I intend to read it.

Has anyone read Crossfire? Thoughts?


Thanks!
 
No I haven't read Crossfire but I have read Case Closed by Gerald Posner. It's not without its flaws (according to some, anyway) and is now a little out of date in light of new information in the last 20 years but it's a very interesting, well written book. Maybe you can recommend that book to your friend in return for you reading Crossfire?

Why are you studying to become a JFK assassination expert?
 
Crossfire is apparently the place of the "JFK Death list" with "103 Mysterious Deaths" of people who thinks Marrs might have known too much or something like that. McAdams covers it here

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/deaths.htm

Some of the supposed sinister deaths are just bizarrre. For example there is:

Jimmy Levens, who was Fort Worth nightclub owner who hired Ruby employees. Ooooh, he was in on it. How'd he die? Natural causes. Whoops. But jeez, even if it were murder or something, if that is the extent to which you are going to expand the field, then of course you are going to find some things showing up. And even then, Marrs failed miserably.

Then there is this guy: Garland Slack, a man who said Oswald fired at his target at rifle range. So apparently, he saw Oswald once. They had to shut him up! So they killed him! In 1978, 15 years after the assisination.

That's another great thing about Marrs's list. The number of "mysterious deaths" that occured


Ask your friend what he thinks is good evidence in Marrs's book? Here is a comment from the McAdams site: "Unfortunately, this kind of logic is rampant in the research community; I've often heard colleagues of mine say things like, "What are the odds that all of the evidence of conspiracy is wrong?" Nothing better illustrates this than Jim Marrs' Crossfire, which simply collates, in terms of conspiracy evidence, everything but the kitchen sink, without really discriminating between good and bad evidence. Crossfire makes its case through sheer volume: no one piece of evidence in the book is especially compelling (let alone proof of anything), but there's 590 pages of it--two and a half pounds of conspiracy, thank you very much."
 
Why are you studying to become a JFK assassination expert?


I listened to a lecture by Dr. Steven Novella of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe and he said it's useful for a skeptical activist to become an expert in something. I have always been interested in the Kennedy Assassination, but it was my friend believing in the conspiracy crap that really made me want to become an expert in it. I also used to believe in conspiracy theories, so, I know the harm they can do.

I think even would-be skeptics and atheists can fall into the trap of conspiracy thinking. Conspiracy theories have some traces of skepticism, "don't trust the government or those in power". Since that trap is pretty easy to fall into, I want to be there to catch them before they do.
 
Interesting. I'm a member of NESS, by the way and listen to SGU every week. In fact this week's podcast is online now so I think I'll give it a listen.:)


ETA: Uh-oh, it seems like they are having the same problem with their server they had last week.
 
Last edited:
If I remember correctly Jim Marrs' book was one of the inspirations for JFK (along with Jim Garrison's own book).

Jim Marrs churns out conspiracy theory books about many other subjects (aliens, secret societies etc...)

One book I have got on the Kennedy conspiracies is "Reclaiming History" by Vincent Bugliosi. It's a massive tome of some 1600 pages while the footnotes are contained on a DVD.

It's supposed to be the most comprehensive and up-to-date debunking books.
 
If I remember correctly Jim Marrs' book was one of the inspirations for JFK (along with Jim Garrison's own book).

Jim Marrs churns out conspiracy theory books about many other subjects (aliens, secret societies etc...)

One book I have got on the Kennedy conspiracies is "Reclaiming History" by Vincent Bugliosi. It's a massive tome of some 1600 pages while the footnotes are contained on a DVD.

It's supposed to be the most comprehensive and up-to-date debunking books.

Bugliosi devoted about 20 years to researching and writing his book. It basically a defense of the Warren Commission and provides a detailed chronology of the events leading up to the assassination and he takes on all the major conspiracy theories.

Along with Gerald Posner's Case Closed, it's all you ever need to read about JFK CTs.

Here's a 49 min. video of Bugliosi taking about the book to the Dallas Bar Association.

http://fora.tv/2007/05/24/Vincent_Bugliosi_in_Dallas
 
Last edited:
If I remember correctly Jim Marrs' book was one of the inspirations for JFK (along with Jim Garrison's own book).

My interpretation from McAdams site, however, is that Marrs' book is basically a compilation of conspiracy claims, with some that Marrs adds. As I quoted above, basically there isn't a conspiracy claim that Marrs doesn't uncritically accept.
 
If I remember correctly Jim Marrs' book was one of the inspirations for JFK (along with Jim Garrison's own book).

Jim Marrs churns out conspiracy theory books about many other subjects (aliens, secret societies etc...)

One book I have got on the Kennedy conspiracies is "Reclaiming History" by Vincent Bugliosi. It's a massive tome of some 1600 pages while the footnotes are contained on a DVD.

It's supposed to be the most comprehensive and up-to-date debunking books.

Yeah, the Name "Jim Marrs" on a book is sure sign that there is pure Woo within.
 
If I remember correctly Jim Marrs' book was one of the inspirations for JFK (along with Jim Garrison's own book).

Jim Marrs churns out conspiracy theory books about many other subjects (aliens, secret societies etc...)

One book I have got on the Kennedy conspiracies is "Reclaiming History" by Vincent Bugliosi. It's a massive tome of some 1600 pages while the footnotes are contained on a DVD.

It's supposed to be the most comprehensive and up-to-date debunking books.

Bugliosi's book is the definitive book on the JFK assisanation, but I would recommend Posner's "Case Closed" for someone new to the subject and the casual reader. It does not go into the mass of detail the way Bugliosi's book does, but it shows up the fallacies of the CT theories quite nicely. BUgliosi's book can be quite a chore for someone not familair with the basics of the Assisnantion.
 
No, I have never read any of Jim's books but I ought to do that sometime. I commend you for being able to read books that go against the grain of what the truth may be.

I personally laugh at CTers in general, scoff at the idea of a god, and shake my head at New Age Medicine but I think it is arrogant to outright dismiss every claim that goes against your beliefs.
 
Crossfire is loads of fun. Long before I finished it I was convinced that everybody who wasn't me or my brother, who was playing with me that afternoon, could be a suspect, and I'm not entirely sure my brother, age 7 at the time, was not involved in the the planning or the coverup.

It also raised questions that have not been satisfactorily answered for me, but a shotgun is likely to hit the target with some pellets.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom